DIY Fail

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pinjasaur, May 29, 2022.

1. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Been wanting to do the 4/2 piston brake upgrade for a while. Bought reman calipers off RockAuto and painted + decaled them. Centric blank rotors. Wanted to try the Hawk HPS pads, never had an expensive brake pad before. Even bought stainless likes and that ATE fluid that seems popular.

Today was the day. Started with fighting with the front upper caliper bolts being somewhat blocked by the lower strut bolts. Had never messed with the soft line / hard like brake junction before. The front left came off easy. The front right less easy. Ended up leaving both of the rears after a few times of heating with torch and cooling with penetration fluid.

PXL_20220529_182818981.jpg

Finally ended up getting all the calipers torqued, rotors & pads installed, and bled the system with the fancy new Speedbleeders. Which I would recommend btw.

PXL_20220530_022526296.jpg PXL_20220530_022542405.jpg

Checked everything over again and put the wheels back on, lowered the car, torqued the wheels. Go to start it up for a drive to bed in the new pads. Immediately start spewing brake fluid from the right rear caliper where the case halves meet.

Looks like I can't upload native video. Here's a link (NSFW, swearing): https://photos.app.goo.gl/8J8eBqUhhNHDvZWZ7

Anyways. I used like 2 cans of brake clean on the car, wheel, and toolbox adjacent to the car which got sprayed too. Notice the trajectory in the video?

Bonus photo: POV of me sitting across the garage, defeated. PXL_20220530_032119129.jpg

I did submit a warranty replacement with RockAuto, but that's a few days out so I don't see a solution of my FXT driving anytime soon. Particularly frustrated because I spent all the time painting, decaling, and clearcoating the calipers.

So that was my Sunday. Any words of encouragement? Relatable stories?

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

You should have gone to church instead.

$h!t never goes as planned.

Stay stock, stay happy.

predavore and pinjasaur like this.
  3. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Never ever ever ever ever ever expect a project to go well over a long (any) holiday weekend... Also... maybe test fit everything BEFORE you paint it... as you are aware. Also... don't die under old HF jack stands.

pillboy, tangledupinblu and pinjasaur like this.
  4. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I too like to ask god if I'm worthy with hf jackstands. Generally speaking though i bench pressure check my calipers before i stalling new/unknown ones.

5. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Can you just slap your old calipers in the rear back on in the meantime?
    Is that the cherry blossom red paint from grimmspeed?

6. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Y'all are giving me a hard time over my jackstands when the 2 recalled models were Pittsburgh and neither of mine are.

Unfamiliar, how does one do this?

The old parts are in questionable shape tbh.

The caliper paint? It's G2 in purple. https://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html

Butthau5 likes this.
  7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I have a master cylinder mounted to a flex line with a flared fitting for calipers.

Butthau5 and pinjasaur like this.
  8. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued tell me more, pictures?

pinjasaur likes this.
  9. euro

euro Well-Known Member

The rig is at my dad's right now but here's a general diagram. I just cap(metallic threaded cap) the line I'm not using. It bypasses fighting other calipers, air in lines and abs pumps when using dry calipers and wheel cylinders. I just throw a block of wood between the pads to stop the cylinder from over extending.
    20220603_081148.jpg

pinjasaur likes this.
  10. pillboy

There are too many things that look like penises in that drawing for my liking. Are you sure you didn't draw your penis extender device by mistake?

joebush44, pleiades, Butthau5 and 3 others like this.
  11. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Multi purpose, i don't like wasted space

pleiades, tangledupinblu and pillboy like this.
  12. LASERBLUE135

LASERBLUE135 Well-Known Member

I feel awful for you. THIS is why I (almost always) fork over the money to pay someone to do work on my cars. Internet bros be like "save money and learn something!" and I be like "I have done this before and after 10 hours things were put back together, close enough to work, never will look 'right' to me and I'm never doing that again!". My wife was asking why I had a shop rebuild my engine when her coworker did his own. Because it took me 4 hours to swap in a cold air intake!!!! That's why!!! I am always amazed and bewildered at garage mechanics. You all are my heros. I will never be one of you sadly.

pinjasaur and tangledupinblu like this.
  13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

There are many, many days I wished I made enough money to just pay someone to take care of my vehicle woes. That or just buy a nicer vehicle that would hopefully come with less woes. I enjoy using tools and typically get some accomplishment from fixing something myself, but there's also been plenty of frustration and defeat...

14. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm finally buying my first sub 100k miles car this year hoping to spend less time wrenching on daily driver bs. It does get old

pinjasaur, Butthau5 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  15. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Aha. I did it! I think there's a thread on here somewhere talking about how the 4/2 pots are a pain to bleed. I need to read that again.

I'll try and remember to get better photos of the complete install when it's light out.

PXL_20220603_230437793.jpg

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. Krazylegz1485

When I did mine I basically just cracked each bleeder one at a time (going from inside to outside) and let them sit there open while I was doing something else (tightening caliper bolts, putting pads in, etc) until they started oozing out from gravity. Seemed to work pretty good and made bleeding quick and easy.

pinjasaur likes this.
  17. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Why inside to outside? I thought bleeding went from farthest to the master cylinder to closest. Although, now that I explicitly look it up, I'm seeing references to the FSM stating front right, rear left, front left, rear right. Something about it being a diagonal system?

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886219

18. pillboy

I'm 65...I've changed pads before, but never even cracked open a bleeder screw in my life - and my old man was a mechanic. Some things (like brakes) are important enough to me that I'll pay someone to do it right.

pinjasaur likes this.
  19. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yep, Subarus have the 2 circuits on diagonal pairs. So it's a decent idea to bleed them in that order.

Truth is, I bleed them in whatever order I have them apart. I push more fluid through then is probably necessary, just to make sure.

Nothing special about 4-pots. The only time I've seen trouble bleeding 4-pots, they were on the wrong side of the car (bleeder screws on the bottom...). But that could happen with floating calipers, too.

pinjasaur likes this.
  20. Krazylegz1485

They suggest a specific order as far as the corner goes, but I meant the inner and outer bleeders on each corner. I look at it as you're gradually trying to work the fluid into every section one by one. When I did mine I replaced the lines, too, so I connected the stainless line and then let it sit open until fluid came out. Then connected it to the caliper. Open the inside bleeder and wait until that oozes out. Then open the outer one and do the same. Just keep pushing the air and subsequently the fluid further and further.

That's my opinion/reasoning at least.

21. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I knew a guy that would bleed with cheaper fluid and then finish it with a blue race fluid. So bubbles are out and once the blue came through, it was done. But yeah, farthest to closest as the length of the lines go.

22. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Finally remembered to post a complete photo.

PXL_20220605_182816345.jpg

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  23. pillboy

Small caliber gunfire that didn't pierce the door?

I'm sorry, but no matter the condition of the rest of the vehicle, I would have had to have that ding pressed out right after it happened. I could not walk up to the car and stare at that every single time. Or maybe just drive at night.

Otherwise, I like the overall look. Glad you overcame the issues and got it back on the road. That might just be my favorite gen of Forester.

pinjasaur likes this.
  24. pinjasaur

pinjasaur Active Member

Ha, it was like that when I bought it. What's the PDR recommendation from folks on here? I'd consider it for the future. :)

25. pillboy

This is who I have used for over 25 years. Never has disappointed me.

http://www.juergensdentkraft.com

pinjasaur and tangledupinblu like this.