Do NOT BUY FMS TMIC

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Rex1502, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

I bought a FMS TMIC from josh at import image. He said it would be a perfect fit. It fit like ****, had to re-tap the turbo coupling because the thread was to small, also now that I put about 2000 miles on the car the hood dampener is cutting into the inlet turbo hose going into the intercooler, the hood dampener rubs on the intercooler at higher rpms. When I called Billy and Josh they pretty much told me tuff **** and said the part is used an that a idiot for buying it anyways. I wish I would have bought a Process West intercooler

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

no
    you should've bought a fmic.

1_sic_rex likes this.
  3. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Process west would have been worlds better. but not fmic good.

4. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

I bought first batch right after they came out and core was a crap but after I got a replacement core it works great (3k miles). I never had fitment issues the only problem was the BOV flange on the core but I used studs and lot's of silicone gasket maker to make it seal. I don't have any more boost leaks or any noises like some other people have. I do agree that the core is bad but the kit fit's just like PW. If you could make BOV to seal you should not have problems with it.

5. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

You sound surprised by the build quality. How can that be given this is one of the most reviled TMIC's in the entire Subaru aftermarket community?

Mr.Tran likes this.
  6. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

I'll take pictures.... The hood dampener was cutting into the hose..... Luckily I popped the hood because someone wanted to see the turbo inlet... Cut through the first layer, had to use a metal grinder and cut through about 3/4 of a inch off the hood dampener. And it's still cutting into the hose at this point I'm upset because there's no support behind the issue. And nuke!! I'm going front mount soon as I build my block and get my 20g!!!

phi11 likes this.
  7. 03subyR

You must have installed it wrong. I installed two of them and haven't had any fitment issues.

8. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

And surelyoldman well all I can say is I took the advice of the person I bought the kit from. That's why I was surprised at the build quality. He said the issues had been resolved ****ty deal I guess

9. Starkall

Starkall Active Member

Mine fit ok, had to do a tiny bit of modding for it to fit. But now it fits perfect. Had to tap And helicoil the bov flange.

10. SurlyOldManMN

It could be that FMS somehow manages to draw an inordinate number of incompetent professional installers that just can't seem to follow directions.

Or it could be they actually earned their national reputation for putting out ****ty knockoff products with horrible QA and tolerances, leaving you to gamble with whether you're going to get lucky and score a perfectly engineered product, or total crap that isn't getting installed on anything without non-trivial fabrication.

Take a hypothetical scenario where someone decides they're going to reverse engineer a well known, high quality product and try to sell it for much cheaper. In this hypothetical scenario, a lot of the costs involved with manufacturing the high quality product will be wrapped up in quality control and ensuring extremely tight tolerances. One could ask the same assembly line to manufacture the same product from the same design, but do it much, MUCH cheaper by being willing to forgo quality control and accept ****ty tolerance.

I'm going to go with quality control. You have decided that since they put out a couple good units here and there, that "must" mean every single one is perfectly manufactured. I thought everyone was reasonably familiar with how manufacturing tolerance works by now after a decade of rhetoric regarding loss of manufacturing jobs and the impact on both the price and product itself.

And Rex... I learned my lesson the hard way about going against the grain with community experience too. Sorry mang.

11. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Stark watch out I thought mine it great also but after a while the new hood dampener started to cut in one of the hoses. Yea I guess I'm going against the grain but the only reason I got was because of recommendation from importimageracing.com but what ever win some and lose some I'm just trying to warn other people that's all.

12. 03subyR

True they are knock off brand and you pay for what you get but I have not heard too many fitment problems from other people just the crappy core. I had problem with my first unit and Importimage sent me a replacement core for a fraction of price. It's just like FMS FMIC it takes a lot of work and trimming to fit but it works and people will tell you it fits. Same here it fits but needs some work. I don't think blaming Importimage is necessary in this case.

13. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

When he won't send me a new hood dampener it is.

14. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

My problem with this thread.

1. You picked a cheap TMIC. Your beef is with the manufacturer. Why are you dragging IIR in the mud. Guess what, buy a better TMIC from the same vendor and have no issues. The problem here has nothing to do with IIR.

2. Oh, not sure if people know this... but this dudes a vendor. He was trolling me last night trying to get dirt on IIR. He was sending me PM's from two different accounts. ...... so you are trying to mess with the IIR reputation and then swoop in with your vendor account so everyone buys from you! :eek:

Weak/shady/dishonest .... pick one they all work.

Make your thread about your crappy part. Don't use it as a tool to trash IIR. IIR is one of the few vendors that supports MNSUBARU! Do you donate money for club fees or club events?

I will always buy from Josh before anyone else. He has the best prices and his customer service rocks.

BroCo, badbennyb and phi11 like this.
  15. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I agree that Josh seems like a nice guy and has very low prices. He is also good about responding to pricing questions very quickly via email. But he is essentially the "manufacturer" for the knock of stuff (including FMS, IPR, etc.). He sources this knock off stuff and then sells it. Some of the quality is pretty sketchy. But the prices are low so people buy it. The margins are good so if he gets a complaint he usually just swaps it out.

If you know what you're getting into, then the questionable quality is usually something you can deal with. Most of it isn't a complete no go. A little DIY and it usually can be made to work. For example, the TMIC's have aluminum end tanks and the threads strip like butter. Josh claims they are supposed to have heli coils but I've yet to see it. Not hard to add yourself but a quality product and you wouldn't have to. Same with the FMIC. Get out the drill/grinder for the install. Could easily be fixed with a redesign but it doesn't seem like it will happen.

I've also had issues with errors on the IIR site and getting incorrect product. Josh has been very good at making things right (replacement) but the hassle and cost of shipping things back isn't much fun. I do like IIR and I do buy many things there. But I don't quite hang on Josh's every word like Derek. If you know what you're getting into then I have no qualms about recommending these products but the item in question I don't have any direct experience with.

Rex1502 likes this.
  16. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

I have a process west intercooler that I bought through Josh at IIR. Arrived quickly and fit flawlessly, and even came with a splitter. Try and not blame Josh because he gave you what you wanted.

Rex1502 and ofspunk7 like this.
  17. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

PM me with details of this. Thanks.

18. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Who cares if I have a vendor account? That's not the point, point is he won't swap my **** out

19. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Haven't had the chance to donate ofspunk

20. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Fine your right my beef is with FMS it ****ing sucks it's not with iir

21. readymix

The thing is, all the vendors work together to provide the users of this site with great deals, selection, and superior service. I have known Josh for a LONG time. And i know he works hand in hand with a number of vendors on this site. That's the great thing about our site vendors, they know that the best way to make lasting customer relationships is to be open, honest, and to remain professional with other vendors.

If i find out you are trashing our long standing site vendors to make a quick buck, I will ****ing flush your ass off this site like so much rancid feces.

BroCo, 03subyR and ofspunk7 like this.
  22. 03subyR

This thread needs to be closed before it gets out of control.

23. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Yea I agree please close the thread it's getting out of hand I just meant to vent

24. readymix

No dice, cowboy. What has been said is a serious accusation with very serious repercussions.

25. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Ohhh ok you want me to take pictures of the ****ty FITMENT?

26. ofspunk7

Happy to. This D-bag just PM'd me "Your Dumb" ..... LOL

Next time, here is a tip.

"You're Dumb" would mean "You Are Dumb" ..... English, it is awesome. ;)

27. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

A vendor posting a "vent" thread about another vendor that they did business with...now i've heard it all. As a vendor, i would think that you would have more taste/class. I find it hard to believe that Josh would tell you "tough ****". I would be pissed if someone told me that if had utilized their services...just find it hard to believe it is all.

Unless he saw your vendor thread, then i understand why he may have done it.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  28. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

What? I didn't even post any other ****? You want dirt I can give you dirt ? And I have emails to prove it so what's your point?

29. readymix

He is talking about your comment about " why buy your parts from Florida". Sounds to me like you have been going after OUR from the start. This isn't prison. You don't have to kick someone's ass the first day.

BroCo likes this.
  30. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Ooo wow I didn't use a proper spelling of something wow! Did your mom help you find that error ?

31. SurlyOldManMN

Yes, that would be helpful. Along with a rational explanation and timeline of everything that happened and where you think it went wrong. As I told you via PM, anyone starting negative review threads without laying out a rational basis for their review by laying out a lot of details in a reasonably civil manner will seriously hurt their credibility, even if they have a perfectly legitimate complaint. As we also discussed via PM, you have two issues here. One with the FMS fitment, and one with your perception of IIR's customer service. Those are two beefs with two different entities. Make sure you're directing the right complaints at the right people.

32. ofspunk7

Keep going dude. I am sure EVERYONE will want to buy their parts from you now. You seem so honest.

33. SurlyOldManMN

Those would be excellent as well. That's part of the whole "rational basis" thing I'm talking about.

I strongly suggest your next post be civil and contain a lot of the missing details/proof you say you can offer. I'll be blunt dude, you have a potentially fatal (to your business) perception problem brewing here.

34. tangledupinblu

I support our locals and any other vendor that is good to us here on this forum, which IIR has been for quite a few years. I'm not trying to get pissy with you, but when i saw this comment..."Why buy from Florida or where ever, when you can buy local!"...in your thread, i was unimpressed. You need to play it cool and not let something like this bother you quite as much. If you sold someone something here and then they came on here and made a "vent" thread about you, how would you respond to it? As i stated, if he told you "tough ****", that's pretty messed up and you have the right to be pissed.

But putting that comment in your Vendor thread was just unprofessional.

35. readymix

Yep, saw the PM string. Your next post had better be civil and deeply apologetic, as well as full of brutal honesty about things. Because that PM string, well, let's just say that, coupled with your behavior, will pretty much spell death as a vendor. And Josh works most of the local forums...you are going to have a difficult time doing business in this town.

qstarin likes this.
  36. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

:coffee:

Well, this is one way to spend an evening.

This will probably get stickied under "How Not To Act Part 2".

37. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

And that is how you handle it ladies and gentlemen! :byebye:

38. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

The only thing I'm sorry about is well nothing! I don't give a **** of about of spunk or what ever that idiots real name is I don't care about what you think readymix, have a pink unicorn for your Avatar well I'm not even going to comment on it. In no way did I mis represent my self in any way shape or or form. So F u c k you readymix:) have a good day!

39. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Your are like a bunch of women bitching and starting drama for no reason!

40. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

See, this could have gone two ways...

The first would have involved some humility, an apology and the ability to separate reason from emotion in order to ensure a happy ending and continued membership/vendor status.

Looks like you went with option "B".

curly2k3 likes this.
  41. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Your right vendors are professionals who should work hand in hand. Like I sent you in the Pm he's screwed me over for the last time. First time it cost me 'money because he mis-quoted a clutch. He not only misquoted by a few dollars it off by around 250 bucks and I even sent him the part number for the qoute. I said what i am sposed to tell my customer you gave me the wrong price! He said I dont care what you tell him. Second ordered a FMS KIT shipped it to NY missing parts have to fight with him for the whole day to send out two couplers an email him **** tons of pictures. Second I order the coil overs for Kova0000, billy tells me he's gonna keep me updates because there's a 3 week wait. And kova0000 needs to get his car in shop asap and Needs to Schedule accordingly. Doesn't do that either, the coil overs just show up at the shop with out warning. So yea as far as you know josh for long time of course gonna be nice to you, you buy **** from him, he's been nothing but a ****ty supplier for me tho MY PERSONAL experience. If anyone I mean anyone wants copy's of emails go PM ME.

42. tangledupinblu

Wow man...you've got some serious anger issues. I know that it sucks when you feel ganged up on by people on the internet, but keeping a level head is key since it is in fact the internet. Hopefully, you don't really care too much about being on this forum...because dodging the swear filter and telling one of the Mods/Admins to "**** off" is a one way ticket to banland. Which is a small loss for all of us, because you seemed to have some decent hook ups and prices on said hook ups. But our vendors on here usually work with eachother, and it doesn't look like you play well with others. I don't know you personally, just basing it off of your attitude in your posts.

Sorry about your ****ty experience with IIR/FMS. There are definitely better ways about resolving the issue tho. GL.

43. Rex1502

Rex1502 BANNED

Well he egged me on plus there's tons of other Subaru forums out there. Everyone gangs up on me it's natural to defend your self. I'm not gonna get bullied into a corner. They can do what ever they want. It's no loss to me. I do this to help other people out there's virtually no margin for me I sell parts to help other members out so ban me don't care one less thing for me to do.

44. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

This has obviously been handled extremely poorly by the OP and will likely result in a ban but I wanted t clarify one thing.

FMS and IPR and possibly other "brands" are all IIR "house" brands that he sources from overseas. Other places that sell the same items (sometimes under different names) are all getting them from IIR.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  45. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Oh dear,
    I'll buy a oneway ticket to popcornopolis, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.