Do you drive a 2015+ WRX? What are your biggest pros/cons?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by JuStaWRX, Feb 18, 2018.

1. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Do you drive a 2015+ WRX? What are your biggest pros/cons?

I have really enjoyed the FXT, but definitely getting the itch to get back into a manual transmission vehicle. I LOVED my 04 WRX, and now after driving my dad's '18 STi, it has lit that fire. I have been on the lookout for either an 11-14 WRX 5 door, or a 15+ WRX. Hopefully checking out a 2015 WRX tomorrow.

Hold backs from just pulling the trigger: We hope for kid(s) in the not too distant future - the Forester is great for space, and I'd imagine car seats/and all that would be easier in the crossover rather than the economy sedan size. I also enjoy doing household projects and right now with the FXT, it's easy to go to the hardware store and bring home a lot of the basics with little problem.

Open to any advice/opinions. Thanks!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Get a small trailer and a hitch for the new WRX! :D Problem solved? There is a WRB hatch on here FS, but I assume that you already know that.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  3. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

We went from a 15 FXT to a 17 WRX and it was well worth it. It is plenty spacious for a car seat in the back, and with the seats down have a surprising amount of cargo space. The interior is similar when you consider creature comforts, but the FXT has more comfortable seats.

Recently we traded the WRX for a 17 STI and they are surprisingly different. They are both fun cars, and I think either one is a comfortable and capable daily driver, but I liked the steering and transmission on the STI better, and ultimately I found it easier to drive. I really liked the WRX while we had it, and compared to the FXT it definitely put a smile on my face every time I drove it.

4. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

17 WRX here. I had contemplated long about the FXT for the space since we have two kids and two dogs. Obviously, I ended up with the WRX. For me, it was the fun factor that decided it. I didn't like the CVT in the FXT and rear legroom really wasn't any better than the WRX. I even tried in our car seats before deciding and saw it was the same.

My biggest negative for the WRX is the lack of hatchback option, and the relatively low ground clearance. Had Subaru offered a turbo Crosstrek, I'd have bought it instead. However, the trunk is pretty spacious and will swallow up a BOB stroller, Burley double stroller/bike trailer, or several medium sized luggages. Definitely capable of being a road trip car for the family of four. With kids in front facing carseats, you have the footwell areas to pack more things too, so the WRX can haul quite a bit. Add some roof racks and take the house with you.

I do want an inch or two more ground clearance since I have a crappy driveway and going up and down it can scrape if you're not doing it correctly. That and I hunt up in the sticks near Remer and getting in and out is dirt road with some decently rough terrain that makes me worry at times.

I chose the WRX over the STI because I'm just a suburban dad whose boyhood dreams of being a race car driver are permanently shattered, but I still want to have a little fun dropping off and picking up my kids from daycare. The WRX is better on MPG, which was the major decider for me between the two. I don't plan to ever track the car and figured I didn't have a need for the fancier drivetrain and brakes. What I saved could go to some mods and whatnot.

There are better family cars out there in the WRX price range, but I feel it hits all the points I wanted for being practical, yet fun to drive, and also for reliability and all-weather capability. Probably won't part with mine unless there's a hatchback model in the next generation WRX/STI.

5. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Wut. This comment is now under review due to the inaccuracy of this statement.

6. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

After several road trips in both, my back preferred the seats in the FXT over the leather seats in the WRX. Personal preference I guess.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  7. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

I have a '16 WRX and love it.

Only previous performance based car I've had was an '04 Audi A4. Performance wise, the WRX holds up and even exceeds from a true driving perspective. Lacks refinement, but I couldn't afford the upkeep.

Pros:
    * Overall, the car is great and super fun to drive.
    * Space: Pretty solid. I'm short (5'8") and have leg room for me and a friend in back. I just drove to Duluth with a 6'8" friend and he was fine. Not room to spare, but fine.
    * I have a 7 yr old and 3 yr old and there is plenty of space for car seats for both, and all the usual junk in the trunk (get it?). Rear-facing was tight behind me when we had the baby seat. So a 5'8" driver was about the limit for that set-up. Once she hit 2 and went front facing, no issues.

Cons:
    * Radio sucks. Bad. I "upgraded" to the Forester radio which is almost entirely plug and play, made a huge difference.
    * Road noise. Not a quiet car. Not obnoxious but not quiet. I have considered some sound deadening but haven't made the jump (yet).

JuStaWRX likes this.
  8. curly2k3

I will trade my FXT seats to anyone with a 15+ WRX that wants the FXT seats instead.

9. JuStaWRX

Thank you for all of the feedback! Had a first option fall through already, but I think it's safe to say that the hunt is on...

Haha! If I had the space, I'd have the trailer already! That WRB hatch is super clean, but I'm not interested in WRB, nor the higher miles.

Nice! This brings me some comfort. I honestly think that the FXT seats are one of my biggest complaints, but it's good to hear that others enjoyed them! As of right now, an STi is not really on my radar. Maybe next-next car, but we'll see... Thank you!

This whole response resonates with me, and I definitely agree with the XV Crosstrek turbo idea. But why would something so desirable ever be available... I do make multiple trips up past Grand Marais throughout the year to our family cabin, and I think the ground clearance will be missed for those sporadic trips. I think you hit it on the head too; fun car, practical, and a solid DD. Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm also pretty short (5'5") so I really appreciate the space part for you personally. Radios are upgradable and more than likely would be one of the only mods I'd go with if it's a CPO.

10. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I went from a 2011 WRX 5-dr, to a 2015 STI, and now a 2018 WRX. I miss the versatility of the hatchback but not all the noises and cheapishness of the interior. I got out of my STI halfway through paying it because I only tracked it for the first two years I owned it. I couldn't justify the extra $$$ just to use it as a daily commuter. Aside from that I was intrigued by the "improvements" for this year in the suspension refinement and noise reduction. The WRX is just as fun on my daily commute as the STI was and I am leasing it. Knocked almost $200 off my monthly payment and about $600/year to insure it, that's 200$ per letter that's not on the badge. So there's that to take into consideration too. The only thing I really miss about the STI is the transmission, even though my new WRX has the STI short throw shifter installed it still pales in comparison. The tweak they did to the electronically assisted steering in the 18 WRX is noticeable too. My advice, if you can. Lease a new one.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  11. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Leasing a new one is my plan when the hatch comes back out. Not always the best decision financially with the added interest however, the monthly payments sure are attractive. Plus there's just something nice about a new car with a full warranty.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  12. JuStaWRX

Went to look at a black, 2016 WRX Premium at Richfield Bloomington Honda last night.

15k Miles, $26k. Included small add-ons like LED fog lights, upgraded HIDs, STi front lip and shift knob, tiny and overlay on the head lamps. Over all car was everything on “the list” but two pieces that the salesman didn’t disclose in our conversations prior to the visit. 1. CarFax has an accident reported (went into the ditch in February and had cosmetic repairs; no signs of sub frame damage), and two that there was a significant scrape/gouge/cracking paint on the rear bumper passenger side. Besides that, and a few other small blemishes, the car seemed well cared for.

Unfortunately, to top it off I wasn’t super impressed by the salesman which isn’t a deal breaker but definitely wasn’t ideal either.

The search continues...

13. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

So other than the so-so experience with the sales shop and lack of disclosure, what was the verdict on the car itself?

14. JuStaWRX

The car was great. Like I said, seemed very well cared for other than the cosmetic issues, with many minor upgrades that I would have made too, which selfishly would have been really nice to have done already. Minor things I liked too were that larger back up camera screen, and the ability to change the screen info on the dash beyond the trip clocks.

Went through the gears nicely, no hints and mechanical issues, and rode really nicely. Great visibility, all season tires gripped well, and the overall feel was just perfect.

The physical feel in the seat was so much better than my FXT, and I am 99% sure that a 15+ WRX will be my next car.

klutz and tangledupinblu like this.
  15. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Great to hear, I hope the minor issues get taken care of or at least you find a comparable elsewhere. I am 2 1/2 years into mine and I still love it. It's a quirky car, but puts a smile on my face daily.

16. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

I've owned an 06' STi, 13 WRX, and 15 STi. The WRX was very easy to drive. But the transmission did feel cheap compared to the STi. We all know the pros of the STi, but here are the things I hate most about it:
    • #1 the radio is garbage. I didn't buy it for that though.
    • #2 ride quality is rough. Once again I knew this when getting it
    • #3 gas mileage. Once again I knew this before getting it. I've gotten as low as 13.8 mpg with all city driving in the winter. Best was 26 mpg. That happened once in 3 years.
    • #4 the floormats. You would think being the most expensive model would net you decent floormats, but during 1 month of them being in the car the drivers side already had started getting a hole worn through it. I just put all weathers over it.
    Not sure about the brand new WRX as I have not driven one. Hopefully my opinion helps a bit.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  17. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed by the good fuel economy I get from my WRX. Even though I'm at "stage 2", I'm still getting in the low 30s on the highway. Car computer listed 33.4mpg on a trip down to my brother-in-law's in Rochester. Not bad!

JuStaWRX likes this.
  18. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

My car computer regularly over-states by ~2 to 2.5 MPG, which is odd, but I am getting 22-24 in everyday spirited commute driving, and 30-ish on long highway rides. Pretty good for a rally car :)

JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  19. curly2k3

Mine overstates it as well, and the only time I've ever gotten near those numbers was on the LAX cruise last year.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  20. MNcrew952

MNcrew952 Member

I've never actually calculated my average, at least not consistently, but I'm sure mine is in this 2+mpg ballpark as well. Not the most efficient, but still better than my 08 impreza was.

21. 007

007 Active Member

32E9BC74-93FC-44BA-B5E7-AE7E3E24274B.jpeg

Attached Files:

Aecklund11 and JuStaWRX like this.
  22. 007

007 Active Member

Brand new 2018 WRX Premium. This was recorded on a 55 mile round trip. Mostly 55-65 mph and a few stop lights.

23. 007

007 Active Member

As to your car choice. For a family, the Foresters are the best all-around vehicle that I have ever owned. They do 95% of anything you require in a vehicle with the exception being those times when you need a truck or just want to drive a sporty car. I have owned two and still have one and will buy another one. Nothing is more practical.

I just bought a 2018 WRX a few years after I sold my 09. Here is what strikes me immediately:

Cons:
    Small for any more than 2 occupants. Back seat space is meh.
    Trunk is OK...but not Forester class.
    Road noise. Even the 2018 has it.......and it is quieter than 2015-2017.
    Insurance will be higher.
    Cops follow you.
    Every kid in a Honda or Neon or older guys in M3’s wants to race.
    Ground clearance.
    Sound system is bad....and mine is supposedly upgraded.

Pros:
    They look the business. Better looking in person.
    You cannot get more performance or better handling in a car unless you want to spend $40k plus.
    The current generation WRX is the best selling ever with good reason......and the 2018 has several nice improvements on the 2015-2017.
    The FA motor and current 6 speed are strong if modding is your thing.
    MPG! Over 30 on the highway, 24+ mixed driving.
    Suspension is not rock hard but great in the corners.
    Integral roof rails on the 2018!
    I like the 2015+ interior too. Much better than previous generation.

Let’s face it. The Forester is all the car/ truck/ crossover most people will ever need. It certainly has been for me and my family. BUT, if you just want to drive a WRX or STi.....we get it.

JuStaWRX likes this.