downpipe is too close to axle boot

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by horizon_chaser, Sep 2, 2015.

1. horizon_chaser

horizon_chaser Well-Known Member

I just installed an invidia catted downpipe to my 2013 wrx and the cat is too close to the axle boot, will it burn the boot? I don't race or track my car, it's just a weekend and sunny day car but the cat will get really hot regardless. Should I worry and what do I have to do to protect the boot? Thanks everyone in advance.

2. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Without a picture, it is hard to tell. However, it may not 'burn' the boot, but it could certainly deform/weaken it. When they go, they are messy! ...don't ask me how I know, I ended up with just 5 laps for the entire day. :eek:

I would guess that there are several people that have installed the DP, are they not concerned? Have you contacted Invidia? Stupid question, but are you sure it is the correct part?

horizon_chaser likes this.
  3. horizon_chaser

It's about 1" between the cat and boot and it's the correct DP, just want to hear if anyone have burned boot because of the DP. If I have to, I will get the DP blanket.

4. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

1" should be fine. As already mentioned, this is a very common part from a large manufacturer. If it was a major issue there would likely be many reports of failure.

horizon_chaser likes this.
  5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

This is one of the inherent issues of modifying a car. Do a search for "wrx torn axle boot" and you'll find it is a very common issue on the passenger side. Then compare your aftermarket DP (not just yours, any aftermarket DP) to your stock DP. Notice how the stock DP has heat shielding while the aftermarket one has no heat shielding?

Coincidence that people with aftermarket downpipes commonly experience torn passenger side axle boots? I think not.

Will your axle boot get overheated, weaken, and tear in the short term? Probably not. Long term? Most likely, yes. Should you use heat wrap on your DP to prevent axle boot failure? I would highly recommend it.

Chin and horizon_chaser like this.
  6. horizon_chaser

Ok, thanks. ^

7. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

Invidia DP on my 02 WRX for 8 years now, 1 axle replaced in that time. The cost of the axle if caused or accelerated by the exhaust has been well worth it for the extra HP

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  8. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Wrap it or have the down pipe coated. I agree with @TMF