Drivetrain fluid

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pleiades, Feb 13, 2018.

1. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

This spring I'll be replacing the worn center diff in my bugeye and plan to flush out the fluids while I'm at it. Just curious if anyone has recommendations for gear oil and rear diff fluid.

Transmission is an '02 JDM STI 6spd RA-spec (non-DCCD with viscous center diff), rear diff is an R180 Suretrac I believe.

Fluids I used when installed were OEM, SOA427V1700 gear oil for the trans and SOA427V1800 80W90 LSD fluid for the rear diff.

Just curious if anyone had better results lately from other products like Motul or Redline or if I should just stick with the same stuff.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Lots of good results with Motul 300 for trans it's spendy tho

3. pleiades

Yeah, looks like about $100 to fill the trans and diff if I'm not mistaken. I've heard good things about them though. JM has mentioned adding a quart or 2 of Redline as well, any idea if that really helps?

4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

As long as it's lightweight shockproof.... supposed to help syncros line up.
    I'm no chemist but I wouldn't mix

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  5. pleiades

Thanks, that's pretty much I was thinking too. I'm leaning towards using Motul 300, don't really mind spending the extra $40-50 over Subaru HPGO considering most people seem to have good results from it. Guess the only thing I wasn't really certain about is if it's a good idea to use it for the rear diff.

6. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Make sure your getting the right fluid, one's specific for trans & the other has the LSD additives