Droid

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by thunderdan1313, May 10, 2010.

1. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

thinking of picking up the Droid but want to know if you have one what droid do you own.
    and have you had any problems with it?

2. pksublime

pksublime Well-Known Member

wait for the droid incredible
    i don't have the option of droid so i have a pre, but my friend's love it
    one however is on his 5th or 6th due to defects, so get the insurance i think

3. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

I've tried to get Tmobile to tell me if they are getting the Incredible and they have no idea what I'm talking about..yeah right. Since it's a Verizon phone, I highly doubt tmobile will ever see it. Maybe something comparable though...hopefully.

I have the G1 and love it. I'm on my 5th one though - Problems: random phone calls and powering off on me multiple times. Tmobile tried their hardest to switch me into another phone, but after I spoke with a manager they sent out my 5th G1. (I am not running the stock ROM on this phone either, keep that in mind.) You can load modded ROM's which is a lot of fun too.

The random power offs have not happened with the latest phone. The apps are great and there are plenty to choose from. It's a much more diverse/open market than you'll find with other smartphones.

I'll be switching phones next month, if Tmobile can provide the Incredible, that's the route I'll take. If not...I'll still be getting another Android device one way or another.

I've messed around with plenty of iPhones too, I wouldn't waste my time/money with that ****.

4. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Although I am an Iphone user, I've wanted to dable in the Droid world...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0v8pJSGi4CA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0v8pJSGi4CA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

5. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

I've got the HTC Incredible for Verizon, it's very nice.
    Overall it seems to have the tactile functionality of an iPhone with the multi-touch capabilities. It also is quite fast and smooth with running apps and it's front-end GUI.
    I've only had it for less than two weeks, so I haven't been toying with the apps very much yet. It's still pretty much out-of-the-box.

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

the incredible is a whole lot like the nexus one, but now its on verison, its the most advanced phone on the market. that is untill the htc evo comes out on sprint, i may wait around for that and the 4g goodness that is soon to come to mpls.

7. jolson05

jolson05 Member

I use the Nexus One. I bought it from Google unlocked (able to use on any SIM Card Capable GSM network) and use it on T-Mobile and did not have to sign a contract with T-Mobile to use it. Because it is unlocked and uses a GSM SIM Card I can jump to any GSM carrier I choose and that is my ace in the hole if T-Mobile tries anything stupid. But back to the phone, the phone itself works with no issue and does everything I need my laptop for and more but fits in my pocket. FTW!

I would highly recommend the Nexus One (Android 2.1) and would also recommend the Android OS.

The NAV kicks @$$ with Google Maps Driving it. Lot's of way cool apps. I use it to provide my Laptop with a 3G Internet Connection when ever I'm somewhere without free WiFi. It's a great phone!

Nexus One
    http://www.google.com/phone

YouTube Vids

What ever phone you end up getting think about how you can get the phone and use it on your carrier without having to sign another contract, that's how the carriers stick it to us. They make changes when ever they want and you have no say in the matter because you're under contract.

Good luck with your phone shopping experience.

8. burtonboy00

burtonboy00 Well-Known Member

I've got the Droid, it really does anything you want. I went with the Droid over iPhone and HTC for a few reasons, one being verizons superior service, and that it has a physical keyboard which makes it really easy to type fast. Also the onscreen keyboards are pretty good and the predictive text is excellent! If your into taking photos there is a 5mp camera in the back that is great to have everywhere you go, I find myself taking a ton of pictures now that I don't have to bring a seperate camera everywhere I go. Even if you don't get a Droid I would suggest going with the Android OS. I haven't had any problems what so ever with my phone and I've had it since november. Anyway good luck with your search, hope this helps!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

my buddy have the new HTC version of the DROID (incredible). I still like the DROID better,

10. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

11. ofspunk7

My bad. I thought HTC made it. My buddy owns it, not me. I like the Droid better. I can say don't get the nexus one. Unless you don't mind breaking your phone when you drop it.

12. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I can't wait until Sprint releases the HTC Evo.

And yes, Droid FTW.

13. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

I've had the G1 for a year or so now.... I hate it!!!!.... it to slow and always is freezing up.... but i would like to try the Nexus One or just get an iPhone and unlock it.

14. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of the g1, pretty slow.

I have Hero (for now)
    Can't wait for the EVO

15. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

16. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Motorola Droid
    HTC Droid Incredible

2 different phones but, has Droid in it's name (guess Verizon is gonna use DROID in their Android based phones??)

17. zisson33

zisson33 Well-Known Member

My only beef with the Droid is the battery life. It's pretty short. Between the Eris and the Droid, I dig the Droid. I would recommend it and would probably buy it again.

18. Rusty

Rusty Member

The HTC HD2 has windows mobile on it, but HTC did a lot of work to the main interface and it looks great,
    The HTC EVO is going to have the same hardware as the HD2 except with android os (FTW), 4G capabilities, and a front facing camera.
    Comparing it to the Verizon Droid it has a much faster snapdragon chip, better camera, a higher resolution screen that is much much larger at 4.3 inches. (It feels like holding a big screen TV in your hands compared to a iphone. imo)

19. pattertj

pattertj Member

I have a G1, and I would like better hardware, however, the Android software is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The guys next to me at work have an HD2 and iPhone 3Gs, both are better hardware, but their software isn't as good I think.

If you are going Verizon, get the Droid, if T-Mobile, I'd get the Nexus One.

20. Rusty

Rusty Member

how long ago did the G1 come out? like 3/4 years? it has android 1.4 on it correct? The smart phone world is has come so far sense the G1 came out i find it astounding.

21. pattertj

pattertj Member

My non-rooted G1 is running 1.6. The best part about my Android phone has been the updates. My old Windows Mobile phones we're always blocked from the next level and forced a hardware (see $$$) upgrade. There is better software than 1.6 for Android, but rumor has it 2.0 is coming for the G1... :)

22. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I think closer to 2 years. Pre-sale was about 2-2.5 years ago. I got mine a couple weeks or so after it was released and am coming up on my 2 year contract renewal in a couple/few months... I think.

I'm pretty much stuck with Tmo since my family is spread out across the country and they have the best rates/coverage, so I'm interested to hear some opinions. If I wasn't paying the bill I'd consider switching to Verizon lol. If Sprint had better customer support and decent coverage where my folks lived, I'd pick up the evo.

23. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

i have the droid and love it one of the main reasons is becuase it is one of the few good smartphones out there that still has a physical keyboard. i hate the touchscreen ones. also the android software is so flexable and runs so smooth on the droid and with a little overclocking and hacking it runs even better. Only downside is batter life. but i deal with it lasts most of the day all day if im not constantly on it.

24. thunderdan1313

Im going with verizon cause i get to be under my dads company(cause he owns the company) and plus my best friend works at verizon. so im think between the moto. droid or the new HTC droid incredible

25. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

With the Nexus One I thought you had to choose either between spending $500+ for the phone and keep your current plan, or get the plan that is offered with the phone through your provider?

For me, I am on a family plan so that cancels me out since I refuse to pay that much money for a stupid phone that will be outdated in a year anyways.

Depending on your carrier, my suggestion would be :

Tmobile: Nexus One or, wait until Tmobile comes out with a device from HTC with Tmobile's name on it. They don't have any high end Android phones to call their own as of right now.

Verizon: HTC Incredible

Sprint or At&T: Switch carriers ;)

26. ofspunk7

Do not get the Nexus One unless you are ok with breaking your phone everytime you drop it.

The DROID battery is not the best, but I just keep my USB with me at work for those slow days!

27. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Must be you dude because I get 2 days out of mine. I keep the GPS and blutoof off all the time unless I'm using it. I also have screen brightness set to auto.

28. Rusty

Rusty Member

my brother has a droid and can get more then a day use out of it. i think it must realy depend on how much you use it and if wifi/bluetooth are turned on, both draw a lot more power. does anyone here have a nexus one? i've heard they are great/speedy but havent heard about screens breaking on them anymore then iphones or other touch screen only phones.

i must agree that the best thing about android is the open enviroment and not being a slave to *cough* crapple *cough* *cough* instead of dealing with their or the carriers bull you can go to sites like http://www.xda-developers.com/ and learn how to make the most of your hardware. i recommend that smartphone users to check them out. Go to the site and then to the forum and scroll till you find the phone you have. just be ready to learn!

29. ofspunk7

yeah i guess, my GPS is not set to off. My screen is not set to auto. so that does take down battery. As well if you plan on downloading, doing things on the web, playing games, listening to music... you will kill the battery in a day.... just like with ANY cell phone. I am not saying it is the worst thing ever, i do think it can run out quick. However, I listen to pandora all the time, i play games, download, surf the web and everything else. When i don't use the phone... like up at my cabin.... it can go the whole weekend.

Car charger FTW! I just stream pandora everywhere I go in my car and plug it in. Battery problem solved.

BTW got signal all the way up to Nevis with pandora, (which is the other end of Ojibwe course) if you know the area. No skipping in the music, no pauses... just music. that alone makes the phone worth it. who needs an Ipod or MP3s when you can have music you like all the time and it isn't always the same thing.

30. Rusty

Rusty Member

Pandora for the win! I've been wanting to upgrade to pandora one, I'm guessing that their android app is good enough to catche ahead just for people who use it while driving.

31. Rusty

Rusty Member

to whoever else is interested in learning about the latest to come from android check out http://www.androidpolice.com/ they now have a nexus one running android 2.5 known as froyo. apparently it'll be really fast, 450% faster then android 2.2, it may be able to charge the phone over wifi, and one article suggests that the HTC EVO is going to be running it. now is a exciting time to be in android, there is something new to know everyday!

32. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

someone tipsy?

33. J.Rex

J.Rex Well-Known Member

false, there is not enough power coming out of wi-fi routers to do anything but maybe flip a cmos gate or two

34. Rusty

Rusty Member

lol, nope not tipsy, just hyper while studying for my final final that is in 3 hours. Anyway here the link to their claims about the speed and as for the charging over wifi, your right i read it wrong, its rumored to include "wireless" charging, like the pre has where it can charge while resting on its own pad/dock.

35. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

android 2.2 is suppose to be froyo

36. Rusty

Rusty Member

then frodo is to come in android 3.0 the lord of the iphones :rolleyes:

37. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

what's the incredible gonna come with? I am getting a new phone within the next two weeks and was thinkin of getting that one

38. thunderdan1313

thats the one im getting it is back order should get mine next week

what are u looking for? like what do u mean what is it going to come with do u want spec?

39. jolson05

jolson05 Member

I know it was you Fredo.

40. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I have the Droid Incredible (came from the Moto Droid) and the Incredible blows the Moto out of the water in every aspect. The Moto's physical keyboard is useless. The Moto is a great phone, but why buy that one when you can get the Incredible. 1GHZ processor + Android = win.

41. zyklon

zyklon Well-Known Member

42. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

43. thunderdan1313

that what i was think i also love the 8mp cammera to.

44. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Yeah the 8mp camera on the Incredible is awesome, I would assume the Evo will use the same one.

45. burtonboy00

burtonboy00 Well-Known Member

gal-dang-it! 8mp is more then my cannon, and all that does is take pictures!!!