Drywall

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by g0tiMe, Apr 16, 2017.

1. g0tiMe

g0tiMe Active Member

Anyone know if this is salvage able? Has glue residue from wood paneling, don't want to contract someone to tear down and rehang if possible. Also got a quote from a contractor that to do the ceiling it would be cheaper to do drop down (textured) vs flat, I always thought it was the other way around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. g0tiMe

g0tiMe Active Member

oops pics are upside down don't know how to fix them :(

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Negative ghostrider. If you could scrape all of the residue off, then you could "skim coat" the whole thing with mud. You could also go over the top with 1/4" drywall.

Easiest way and the best results would be to remove the drywall completely and start over. Then you could also check the insulation and vapor barrier while you're at it to confirm that it has them and that they are sufficient.

PS, pics are right side up for me. ;)

silver03 and phi11 like this.
  4. tangledupinblu

Also, i went the "paint the paneling" route. ;) Even though i know how to drywall and mud, it was much more cost effective and alot less time consuming!

A flat finish takes alot more time because it has to be perfect or you'll see every little thing. With texture they just spray it on and knock it down with a trowel. MUCH quicker and less labor intensive for the texture. So you save a ton in labor costs.

5. g0tiMe

g0tiMe Active Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to weigh my options then. I got quoted $2000 for a contractor to hang new drywall on all four sides and to do a knockdown style ceiling, do you know if this sounds okay? This is with me doing all the demolition work, the room is 16 by 15 ft and 7 foot tall. Thanks again.

6. tangledupinblu

I would get another quote if i was you. I am not saying that $2,000 is too much for the job, but it is definitely on the high side. You could probably get it done for $1,200-$1,500 if you shop around.

What part of town are you in? I could possibly recommend some companies for you to look in to.

7. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

I can agree on the texture being cheaper. My Dishwasher recently leaked and stained the finished basement ceiling. it was popcorn, and because it was the large family room area it involved scraping and redoing most of my basement (just not the bed rooms) The Contractor gave me the choice of replacing the popcorn or doing a knockdown for the same price as insurance was paying. If i wanted to do smooth it was going to take a few days longer and be considerably more expensive as theyd have to do a skim coat on the ceiling and sand smooth. since the rest of the house is popcorn (and we were already paying to upgrade the kitchen flooring), we did knockdown. it looks so much nicer than popcorn.

8. tangledupinblu

Who did you use for the water mitigation on your place if you don't mind me asking?

9. Stormtrooper1

Servpro did the water mitigation.

10. tangledupinblu

Well if you end up in that situation again, give me a shout! ;)

11. g0tiMe

g0tiMe Active Member

Thanks guys, this will be done in St. Paul right by Lake Phalen. Any contractor recommendations would be awesome. My lease on my apartment is coming due on June first and I'm looking to get it done a week or two before then.

12. tangledupinblu

You're basically my neighbor. I can probably swing by and look at it.
    PM me for details

13. Stormtrooper1

I sure hope to never need that kind of service again. But if I do, it's good to know someone that does it.