DSLR help/recomendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by twiztid_rs, Feb 18, 2014.

1. twiztid_rs

twiztid_rs Well-Known Member

I'm looking to purchase a DSLR for my wife in the near future. I was wondering if someone could give me recommendations or advice to what would be a good starting set up and maybe what to avoid. I'm not in the position to spend high amounts right now. Just mainly looking for a quality camera body and a lens or 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated from those members that are big into photography.

2. Jwhy

Jwhy Well-Known Member

How much are you willing to spend and how much experience does she have with photography?

3. fancyfootwork15

fancyfootwork15 Well-Known Member

What is the budget?

Shooting Nikon personally I would say pick up a d5200 with a kit lens for starting out. Canon also has an excellent selection of bodies and lenses.

I highly recommend investing into good glass as that carries a lot further then any dslr body will.
    Basically with higher end camera bodies you are gaining more control. More buttons, better low noise performance. Keep in mind entry level DSLRs are fairing very well compared to the previous years high end/pro models. If you are serious into photography start with a middle grade body but invest in pro grade lenses. Most pro lenses will last years and retain 80% or more value.

I would also consider a 28 or 35mm prime. On a crop sensor body this will be more ideal then say a 50mm. Do a search on the difference between crop and full frame sensors and focal lengths.

If you would like to me to show you/teach you some things I would he more than willing too.

T_riggidy likes this.
  4. Jwhy

Jwhy Well-Known Member

It really depends on where and what you think she's planning on shooting with it. The Nikon D3200 and Canon Rebel T3i would be my suggestion for an entry level dslr. Good lighting is also a critical variable to how well a photo turns out. Then there's the lens. I would recommend going through the Amazon reviews and other forums and websites to get a better idea of what's out there. Hope this helps. Photography can be fun but it's another costly hobby. Good luck!

5. twiztid_rs

Budget rise I'd like to be around the $600 mark. I'm leaning more towards the Nikon brand based off what I've read and looked into. I've seen A few different ones for sale used but can someone tell me in dumbed down terms the differences in the different models like the d200, d300, d3100, d5200 etc... I've looked at different specs on them but what is the benefit of going one over the other. Sorry in advance for the dumb questions. If someone has a site that can explain it easier I'm more then willing to read.

6. fancyfootwork15

Sensors and dedicated buttons. Out of the 4 bodies you just mentioned the 5200 has the best sensor. The D200 and D300 are bigger, more rugged and have better controls. I would buy newer (within a year or two) as the image quality on the entry levels has really skyrocketed.

7. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

I've been using a canon T1i since it came out. No problems so far and it takes great pictures.

[​IMG]

8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Things to consider.

Nikon VS Canon. Or Ford VS Chevy. Everyone has their own ideas on what best for whatever reason. The first thing I would look at is do your friends use a DSLR and what brand? I went with Nikon because I had 2 friends that also used Nikon. That gave me the ability to swap lenses and flashes as needed. If all your friends shoot Nikon, pick up a Nikon.

From there it is a matter of price range and what you plan on shooting. Either brand will get you want to want and need.

And finally, like Fancyfootwork said, good glass is where it is at. A body is a body. 2 years from now your body with be out dated, but the glass is always good. A cheap body with good glass with get you better pics and a super prograde body with crappy glass.

Russ

9. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I have a Canon Rebel T3i that is great for an entry level dslr.
    I got mine from national camera exchange during one of their events and got a manufacturer refurbished with a lens for really cheap. I forget how much it was but I think $400 and came with a warranty.
    I'm no pro photographer but it takes great pictures and I got mine 2 years ago so the new one is probably even better. (T5i?)
    I think it is most important not to cheap out on lenses.
    I have always had canons (G7 and a G10) so don't know anything about Nikon.

10. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Compact mirrorless cameras are getting very good as well. A friend who was a professional photographer for about 10 years recently got a Sony Nex6 and likes it a lot. If you don't want the bulk, that or something like the Olympus OMD series are very viable options.

Personally, I have an aging Canon DSLR that I'm looking to replace, so I'll follow this thread as well.

11. twiztid_rs

I really appreciate all the replies and help on the matter. I'm leaning more towards the Nikon but the Cannon's were my second choice. I'll do some more research and see if I can get my hands on one locally and see how well it works.

The Nikon's that have the little package deals where it's a body and a lens, I'm assuming are just an "entry" type lens? I was looking at the D3200 package that comes with a 18-55mm lens. What would be a good first lens to purchase outside of the included lens to add a bit more versatility for a beginner?

12. fancyfootwork15

On any of the DXXXX models they are generally basic lenses. They all do the same thing, but you will notice better contrast, colors and clarity with higher end/prograde lenses. Honestly I would stick with a mid entry level body and kit lens. Learn the camera, decide what you need another lens for and go from there. I highly recommend picking up a fast prime. The 28mm 1.8g or new 35mm 1.8g (or DX version) would be well suited on a crop sensor body. Keep in mind to always ask "why" do I need this lens. Gear acquisition syndrome will always be prevalent. Just take some time to think about what is needed.

I also recommend going to National Camera. Very knowledgeable staff and you can bargain deals.

13. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

That is like asking what is the best 1st mod for my car. It is all on what you shoot.

Like Fancy suggested a fast prime. To me that is useless since I am always shoot at distance (car races, wildlife, etc). If you stick with Nikon, I would honestly say get the 18-300vrII. It is the jack of all trades lens. That does mean it will fall short in some areas, but you will cover a huge range. From there you can start picking out what good glass options you want to spend the money on.

I am running a d300 and my main lens is the 70-200 f2.8. My next lens will most likely be the 200-400 f2.8. I also have the older 18-200vr lens that is my point and shoot lens, but for *MY* shooting, the 70-200 is my main lens. If I had access to something 400 and over, I would most likely pick it up. Currently I am shooting tons of wildlife stuff, so I will take all the reach I can get.

Also check out keh.com. I have picked up a few pieces of glass and a couple of flashes from them. The grading system reads REALLY high. So even their not so good stuff is still a nice buy. I would have no problem buying a bargain bin lens.

Russ

twiztid_rs likes this.
  14. fancyfootwork15

I also had a D300. Absolutely loved the body, but ended up going full frame to a D600. The 70-200 2.8 is a fantastic lens. I have a 80-200 af-d which is also incredible.

If you get a kit lens, like Russ said, the 18-300 is a "do all" lens. Biggest problem though is chances are the kit lens only go from 3.5-5.6, making low light situations much harder.

It really all depends on what you are shooting though. Figure that out first and then buy to accommodate those needs.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    twiztid_rs likes this.
  15. twiztid_rs

I know she's into and would like to shoot scenery and still photos at least for starters. If I take up the hobby, I'd be looking into auto photography both still and action shots.

16. TxnyMxnrxe

TxnyMxnrxe Member

It's a few years old but I love my Pentax K-x.

17. Weird0

Weird0 Well-Known Member

Good luck on the search as there are so many good DSLR's out there. It took me a long find the one for my needs.

18. GinNam

GinNam Well-Known Member

When I got into this hobby last may, I went to National Camera to try the bodies they had on display. I chose the Pentax K-30 based on comfort of the grip and easy menu navigation. A plus side was that it "could" be weather resistant with the right lens combo, and the basic 18-55 weather resistant kit isn't that high of a price, imo (quite decent for scenery and landscape shots). The biggest thing I liked though, was the abundant selection of legacy lenses that can be adapted from Pentax. Although, these lenses are also often adapted to the Canon and Nikon bodies as well. In my opinion, these legacy Pentax lenses would be great for her to get into portrait (regardless of brand she gets into), that is, as long as she doesn't mind using a manual focus lens.

If you ever would like to take a look at a Pentax, or just the legacy prime lenses, feel free to PM me.

19. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Can't go wrong with the t3i have a lot of friends who use them (I have the t4i) but it's all about the Lens's definitely pick up a nifty fifty (50mm).

20. twiztid_rs

I ended up picking her up a D3200 kit that included a 18-55 and a 55-200 lens. She was very happy and I hope it works out well. I talked to her about a lot of the suggestions on here especially regarding quality lenses. I guess we will see where it goes from here. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

Nhibbs, Jwhy, T_riggidy and 1 other person like this.
  21. twiztid_rs

Had a lot going on around the house and work lately so neither my wife or I have really had a chance to sit down and mess with the D3200 yet in terms of learning what it can do. We did snap a few photos though with the different lenses and I gotta say this should be fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jwhy and T_riggidy like this.