Dyno tune at JM today

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by minnesotanice, May 4, 2017.

1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I'm getting a dual tune today at JM if anyone wants to stop by and hang out for a bit. I'll be sporadically working throughout the day. @tangledupinblu I see you're having some work done here as well.

2. Ron

Ron Member

What time is ur tune?

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Yep! It's been sitting there for like a month.:( Waiting on warranty work on the turbo. Had to have it sent in by the company that rebuilt it.

I was told that it put down pretty good numbers before spewing oil! lol
    IMG_7887.PNG

4. minnesotanice

Right now haha I was expecting it to take a bit longer. They're just about to start E85.

5. minnesotanice

Oh no... That's super rough to hear! Any word from the turbo builder when it'll be back and in running shape?

6. tangledupinblu

Negative ghostrider. They told be 2-6 weeks until they get it back from the manufacturer. :grumpy:

7. minnesotanice

Yikes... 2-6 weeks from when? Right when you brought it in? Or more recently?

8. tangledupinblu

^This! Called today...still no word from the manufacturer. *sigh*

9. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

How much of a gain would a custom tune provide over a OTS tune? My 2017 WRX is stock with the exception of the STI catback option. I currently have the MAPerformance 91 octane tune and am quite happy with it. Just curious as to when one goes for a custom tune vs. OTS.

10. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

My experience between OTS and protunes... it has nothing to do with a gain in power. Might go up slightly, might go down slightly.

It's everything except gains that's impacted. General driveability concerns. Throttle response, smoothness, safety, etc.

jubella2, Jason C and minnesotanice like this.
  11. minnesotanice

I was running the OTS Cobb tune and the feel of the car is immensely different. Much smoother and I trust it more.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  12. tangledupinblu

Every car, despite them being the same make and model, vary in small ways(wastegate duty cycles, AFR's, etc.). An OTS tune gives a general "fix" to the stock tune.

A ProTune is specifically for your exact car. The tuner takes all of the things that vary slightly between your car and the other guys and fine tunes it based off of your turbo, wastegate, AFR's, and so on. Much better than an OTS because it is more detailed for your car and it's engine management.

Jason C and SurlyOldManMN like this.
  13. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks. Are tunes always done on a dyno or can they be done while driving on the road to more closely mimic a "real world" environment. I rarely ever put my foot down and go WOT, so I would think putting my car on a dyno and doing WOT pulls would be less than ideal.

14. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Ever notice how the tuners who tend to favor road tunes also don't have access to their own dyno? I'm not a tuner so I can't get into the technical benefits of having complete control over the environment while dialing everything in, but that point alone might be worth pondering. :D

15. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

I'm a firm believer in the quality of a road tune (assuming the tuner knows his stuff) due to air flow over the cooling surfaces but the speeds required for public tuning are a pretty big liability for a business driving a customers car. 4th gear pulls to redline create big tickets...

tehfuzz likes this.
  16. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

Dyno tunes allow you to get your peak power out of the vehicle, every vehicle has a different optimal timing peak and the dyno gets you that. OTS maps are very conservative and just mainly designed to make the parts work safely in general way but don't get you the full possible gains. Some street tunes can be just as good as dyno tunes but it's a chance and has a little luck involved as your butt is the dyno unless your tuning till knock then dialing it back. Yes cars and set ups have a general timing advancement but each car is different. We always pull the car off and do a quick street pull just to make sure it's good. But your intake temp along with the other sensors in the car do most of the work when dialed in correctly to work properly in different weather conditions. I'm no tuner, lol but around it enough to understand most of it. If you got questions shoot us a message on our page!

klutz, minnesotanice, Jason C and 2 others like this.
  17. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone that just participated in this exchange. Pretty much exactly what I needed to hear in terms of my own vehicle's situation. Pro tune it is.

18. minnesotanice

FYI here are my final numbers...
    E85 Tune
    [​IMG]

93 Octane Pump Gas
    [​IMG]

Krazylegz1485 likes this.