EE20 (diesel) details

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by piddster, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

2. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

258 lb.ft. at 1800 RPM

:biggrin:

I think I could put up with insane diesel fuel prices for that!:yumyum:

Let's hope they get the tranny right on the first go-round...

3. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

w00t been waiting for these details for a long time!!!!

umm... is that 16" brake actually for the front brakes?!?! (second article)

4. Dan

Dan New Member

Geez, how about a highway cruising gear, finally? 2200 RPM @ 70 MPH would be sweet.

5. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

I will blow a load in my pants if/when this hits the US in an Impreza wagon or Forester. Why no 2.5L? Kan has t00n?

6. speedyham

speedyham Well-Known Member

I hope it's more around 1500 rpm @ 70mph. That's about what my uncles diesel truck runs at, and it's smooth.

Sounds like a great engine. I hope it comes to the states and hope that it comes in a Legacy Wagon when I'm ready to buy my next one. :)

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Probably be less messy outside your pants and I can't wait to see it either!!

8. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

The Most Awesome Subaru Yet....

9. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

wow, some serious fuel pressure there

edit* BTW, i want one of the turbos

10. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

IBTonly147hpwtfroflidiotpost!

I decided not to trade up to a Spec B and wait 2-3 more years for these to come here as soon as I heard about them several months ago. I'm hoping for a 6-speed that allows us to utilize that narrow torque band for lot more acceleration up to cruising speeds. I'm also curious to see if there will be a diesel entry into WRC much like Audi did with the R10. I'm also interested in the sort of noise a diesel boxer puts out.

11. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

drubles

12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I've been saying for years that my goal is to hit 250 ft/lbs to the wheels by 2500. I had planned to do it with a supercharged EZ30R.........looks like there's an easier way. I wonder how hard it'll be to swap into my wagon :yumyum:

13. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I'm wondering what kind of rev range it'll have to work with, most of the diesels I've seen are usually topping out around 4k or so. I'm excited to see these come over here. In my mind, diesel is a much better alternative to hybrid vehicles. Plus when you run them on veggie oil they smell like french fries ;)

14. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just buy my car. :p

15. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

It's usually because they have a much longer stroke to provide the mechanical advantage necessary to make that low end oompf. Shorten the stroke, increase the bore and revise the head and you'll make a ton of power.

16. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

2.5 + TD04 + Corn, right Tom?

17. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Nice find! Some things stick out to me when looking at the pic's of the internals.

1) The piston is quite unique, looks like the cast in some kind of iron ring land for the top ring as well as what appears to be a bronze bushing for the wrist pin. I wonder if they came up with this technoligy on their own or if there are other manufactures who do that.

2) The crank appears to have a coating on it. In the past some have nitriated the crank to reduce friction but there would be coating on the jurnals if this were the case. All I can think of would be to sheet the oil off the crank with this coating.

3) The rods are interesting, the fracture technoligy is nothing new BMW has used that for years. What is interesting is that they have offset the bolt bosses to make the maximum material on the big end when the rod is pushing the piston to TDC with such high CR's.

4) The pics of the cases are nice, I was wondering how they were going to get around the forces generated by such high CR's and huge torque loads at low RPM's. Looks like they have added iron supports for the main bearing locations. I would like to see what kind of reinforcment they have added to the top of the linners of the cylinders. I would assume they would be some sort of closed deck with an open liner for heat transfer.

18. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

Here it is at idle:

[YOUTUBE]uo9wRfd4QkI[/YOUTUBE]

19. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

Sounds like my 04 wrx when it was cold.

20. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Yah, I was quite taken back by the internals. The piston is very interesting. It obviously works if they are at this point with it. The massive brass pin boss is something I've never seen before, as is the ring land, but I haven't been into too many other motors. I'm guessing that the pin boss is forged brass just like a blocking ring(terminology?).

The rod is quite weird to me as I've never seen anything quite like it with the offset nature of it. Are diesels like that due to when the power stroke starts?

The treatment to the crank could be there to increase the surface hardness and fill in any crack tips, which would make the crank itself stronger since failure generally starts with a microscopic crack that propagates into overall failure. Just like my studs that ripped the threads out after 20k. I like to think of it like a bag of chips that have a tear in it....

The iron supports for the main bearings are cool too. I'm surprised they are getting away with a semi-closed deck, but it works. I'm assuming that with the nature of a diesel and the offset rods that they are transferring a lot of the force to the main bearings, as opposed to the gas Subaru motors where the rod bearing take the brunt of the force.

Also, the water pump and other things look like a radical departure from the EJ standard that has been Subaru for about 20 years. I wish I has one in front of me to tear down :)

21. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

It already has plenty of "power". What would we need more HP for? Subarus aren't high-speed vehicles, they're acceleration-monsters NOM NOM! Lowering the CR isn't really the way to go on a diesel anyway. Not getting a good fuel burn 4TL :(

I've been telling friends considering hybrids (after I slap them of course) to look at diesels instead. The price point is similar but the sustainability of a diesel has already been proven time and time again. Sure diesel fuel is more expensive right now but the cost is more than offset by the fuel economy. Now for Minnesotans there is a little more concern with cold starting and you may want to have that second battery like some diesels do to get a longer warm-up on the glow plugs or else be sure to have an outlet handy near where you park. Same goes for grease cars except to a greater extent as the extreme cold temps really clog up your narrow grease lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.