Ej22 mischief help needed.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by euro, Aug 14, 2021.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I'm starting to blueprint my ej22 phase 2 going into my 70 vw fastback and need some help identifying how to get a map sensor added to replace the maf for running standalone haltech/megasquirt/etc.

From my research 99 cali rs and up should have map manifolds but i'm having trouble identifying if thos are bolton for ej22 heads or if i'll have to swap for ej25 heads. I could run the stock ecu but i plan on making a new body harness and would like to make everything nice and finished.

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I think i need a 2000-2001 2.5 rs manifold but I'm not 100%. Anyone have one lying around to mockup?

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Most standalones have a MAP sensor built into them. Just run a vacuum line from the manifold to the ECU. Done.

If you're bound and determined to get a factory manifold with a factory MAP sensor on it, looks like there's one in my stash. Upper center of the picture. Likely from an '01-ish EJ251 Forester engine. For Sale Cheap:
    [​IMG]2021-08-16_10-08-01 by Numbchux, on Flickr

tangledupinblu, euro and EricS like this.
  4. EricS

EricS Nooberator

+1
    Even if your ECU doesn’t have a built in MAP sensor, I’d personally just buy an external MAP sensor and plumb it in to vacuum than mess around with a new manifold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tangledupinblu, euro and Chux like this.
  5. euro

euro Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I plan to shave all unused mounts and point on the manifold before paint/powdercoat so being able to plumb it under the manifold should keep everything clean looking.

Thanks @Chux and @EricS

EricS likes this.