emergency service bulletin filters vs. "Jdm" made ones

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by euro, Dec 5, 2022.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

thought this was interesting, apparently I ordered my stash just in time.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  2. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

I'm having flashbacks to working at Toyota and having two claims open with Fram over blown engines from media material coming apart...

3. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Wait, so the replacement filters are better quality? Didn't see that coming.

pillboy and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I find it comical that Subaru would partner with seemingly the worst manufacturer of oil filters out there. (I'm sure there are indeed worse, but I don't know that I've ever heard a good thing about Fram. Haha)

Cotts612 likes this.
  5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

To the best of my calculations, I have changed oil about 230 times in my 47 years of car ownership and the only time I have had an oil filter related issue is when a gasket stayed stuck to the engine. I don't remember what brand it was. I used Fram filters for years and years until they added that black, rough, grippy stuff to the ends of the filters and it would flake off and you could hear it in the box when you shook the box - the filters didn't have anything covering the ends either. I then switched to OEM for whatever car we owned.

If you are using a brand name product and changing it at a reasonable interval (and I don't consider 10k miles reasonable, no matter what the carmaker says), I doubt you will have any issues.

Nhibbs, Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Yeesh I guess I haven't been paying attention to the shortages... so you can order the older style from.... (in best Fast n Furious voice....) Japan?

7. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I use WIX on pretty much all oil filters (except for the newer cartridge style where I just use OEM).

8. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Bumping this one back up! I'm about out of my stash of filters I bought a while back.

Any worde if the old style filters are available again or is the reasonably hot garbage still all you can get? I usually pickup a six-pack of filters at a time from White Bear scoobie but curious if the shortage has worked itself out?

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I have to believe that whatever the dealers are installing during the oil changes they do all day, every day, it should be fine for the average Joe...or average PJ171.

Maybe I'm stupid for just accepting whatever the manufacturer throws at me at their dealer parts counter, but they have way too much to lose in the litigious society we now live in to be giving us crap.

10. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Technically it's just a better litigation budget

11. PJ171

PJ171 Well-Known Member

Heh yea, all good. I was really more curious how long it took them to work out the shortage. We deal with stuff like this all the time at work so mostly just curious how long it took Scoobie to sort it out.

12. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

After dealing with their ancient parts lookup a handful of years ago for my front clip replacement I'd be willing to bet they're behind everyone else. Haha.

13. MikeD19

MikeD19 Member

I bought a couple of the Mazda filters manufactured from Tokyo Roki for my EJ off Amazon a couple weeks ago. Funny, they actually came from Morrieā€™s Mazda in Minnetonka when they arrived to me. Going to try those, but I otherwise use Napa Gold or Wix filters usually since the blue Subaru filter availability became an issue initially.