engine build questions

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by AWDmadness, Sep 3, 2008.

1. AWDmadness

AWDmadness Active Member

Well I am in the process in rebuilding a 2.5 for a 98 legacy i had the crank checked out at the machine shop and one journal is already worn down to far to clean up and get undersized bearings. So my question is can i use any other 2.5 cranks in this 2.5 block. I saw on thepartsking.com they have a sti crank for 275 and on slowboyracing 2.5rs crank for 360 but i cant find anything for the plain jane 2.5. Does anyone know if the main bearing and rod bearing jornals are the same sizes with these 2 cranks compared to mine? Also the motor needs to get bored out .5mm over so say if i were to get some lower compression pistons for the time being then boost it alittle down the road with the computer be able to figure out what is going on and be able to run it?

2. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

It's too bad to go .5mm undersize? It must have been really chewed up.

If its a DOHC 2.5 you need a phase 1 2.5 crank. Unless you want to get the newer crank machined to work with the phase 1 block. You can find used long or short blocks for that money or less.

The stock NA computer does not have the capability to handle boost reliably on its own. To put boost on the motor, you need to at the very least be able to mess with the fuel since you'll need larger injectors anyways. My advice is if you don't know the basics of adding a turbo to a NA car, don't dive in.

3. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

And avoid Slowboy at all costs.

4. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

^What he said about slowboy. Why not search for a complete engine? You could keep the crank and sell the rest of the parts.

In most cars ECU will have no problem with slight changes in engine bore or compression ratio. Boost or high compression stuff is another story.

5. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

My boosted n/a runs fine, but there is nothing normal about my setup, you will AT LEAST need to be able to controll fuel. FPR is probably the cheapest way to do that.

6. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

I have a used ej257 Crank from a oil starved motor (04 sti) i'd sell for cheap

7. readymix

To elaborate on this, Slowboy does what VividRacing is notorious for...selling things they don't have in stock with no indication of such. And they are filthy liars.
    We ordered new rod/crank/thrust bearings from them on Tuesday of last week and paid 30+ bucks for 2nd Day Air UPS shipping to get them in time for the weekend. Wednesday they tell Mike Wray that they have shipped. Friday comes, and no bearings. Saturday, no bearings (UPS doesn't work saturdays but whatever). Then Tuesday of this week rolls by with no bearings. Wednesday comes and still no bearings, so Mike calls up Slowboy. Slowboy informs him via email that the order was cancelled because the bearings weren't in stock. But wait? Didn't you say you shipped them? Of course, they tell him this via email so they don't have to deal with being called filthy liars in person on the phone. And it would have been nice if they had, oh, I don't know, CALLED US TO TELL US THEY WEREN'T INSTOCK AND THAT THEY WERE CANCELLING THE ORDER!

So, now I sit with an unassembled SR20Det and no bearings. And I have to find someone else to buy them through and have them shipped.

8. Rexarew

Rexarew Subie Girl

:( Mr. Readymix you have had alot of problems lately. That sucks.

9. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

WTF jason, your builds are CURSED

10. readymix

You have no idea. Got my wheels yesterday, and they need to be machined to fit the front hub's center bore, as the bores are different front to back.

11. readymix

Anyway, back on topic, you can discuss my cursed builds in the Datsun thread.

12. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

we need a black list that actually makes a difference

companies like that make me so angry.

13. readymix

Here's a good start:

Slowboy Racing
    VividRacing
    AgencyPower anything (VividRacing owns them)
    Xceleration.com (I've heard their customer service is good, but for the ridiculous cost of parts there, I'd expect good customer service since the employees likely bathe in Champagne and Hennesey in a 24k gold bathtub from all the profit they get off of idiots)

Reasons:

Slowboy: See above
    Vivid: Same as Slowboy, also, read the super huge Vivid vendor review on Nasioc. They also burned a buddy of mine...he paid them for Perrin modded injectors, instead they sent him the AgencyPower modded injectors at the same price and they ended up washing his cylinders out and toasting his motor. They did nothing for him, and he was a VIVID SPONSORED CAR!!!
    Agency Power: See "vivid racing"
    Xcelleration.com: Can you argue with this? http://www.xcceleration.com/itemdetails.cfm88a.htm 9000 bucks for what appears to be a 16G (as I can't imagine STi pinks supporting much bigger) intake, bov, STi pinks, up and downpipe and catback, intercooler and headers, and a piggy back ECU. 9000 dollars. Really. You can buy all those things listed there for about half of what they want. And then you can skip on their piggyback thing and just have someone tune it for you instead of getting an off the shelf tune for it.

14. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

its too bad its an endless cycle....buisness rips off customer and craps down their throats....but they dont care and it doesnt matter because someone will always buy something from them...if people werent so greedy id be alot less hostile.

15. WRXEcho

WRXEcho Well-Known Member

I will second or third the slowboy. They did fine with my turbo, but the oil lines that were advertised on their site weren't even in production when I ordered it. Liars indeed. Won't buy from them or vivid. I stick with oakos, import image, etc.

16. readymix

OOOH +1 for Oakos Auto. THose guys are great. I ordered sparkplugs from them once and it came fast and got exactly what I ordered. Fast communication too, and great price!

17. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

ask Fuji about slowboy...he isn't too happy neither.
    He got the Turbo through Importimage who got it from slowboy.

Import Image did their job (which he had no issues with) but it was the slowboy part that was FTL

18. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

you might try talking with Crank Shaft Supply Co. I was just talking with fflxst ( i think thats his SN). Anyway they will spray weld and micro polish the problem spots and bring it back up to OEM spec. They are fairly local, and worth a call.

19. AWDmadness

AWDmadness Active Member

piddster, i figured that if i am going to put in pistons may as well just go lower compression for the time being and run it like that as long as the computer can take it and then a few months down the road add the turbo and engine managment.

i have another crank i am goin to have checked out and if they say that one is bad also then i am goin to have to have another machine shop take a look at it. then who knows.

dynapar, do you know where they are located? and phone number?

20. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

Funny how this conversation was timed.

They do extremely good work with good turn around times.
    http://www.crankshaftsupply.com/

Crankshaft services http://www.crankshaftsupply.com/crankhp.htm

21. AWDmadness

AWDmadness Active Member

well time for a little more info. i have two motors that need work. a 98 2.5 dohc and the other is a 99 2.5 short block. the plan is to end up with one good motor to put in the 98 legacy. The crank from the 98 had a spun bearing and did a number on that journal so that crank would take more time and money to get it back into spec. the other crank is gettin checked out right now. soo the two cranks have different rod journals but the same main journals. if this 99 crankshaft is good and the rods are good would i be able to put them into the 98 block and not have anymore problems. or do i have to use the 99 block?

22. readymix

This wont help you any, but I'd like to add JDMEnginesCorp.com to the list of vendors to avoid like the plague.

23. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

You cannot mix and match generations of blocks and cranks unless you do some machining. For example, you cannot just drop your '99 crank into the '98
    block.

24. AWDmadness

AWDmadness Active Member

why is that? the main journals are the same with the 2 cranks, the only difference with the 2 is one crank has slightly bigger rod journals. is there a clearance issue with the block or something?

25. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The thrust bearing is in a different position on the phase 2 blocks.

26. AWDmadness

AWDmadness Active Member

alright thats all i needed to know. thanks piddster