Engine shot - rod knock

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Noah wallace, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Noah wallace

Noah wallace New Member

Hey everyone,

So my wife ran her 05 outback dry of oil, the engine is clearly shot. I'm looking for advice on what I could get for the car if someone wanted to buy it and rebuild the motor.

It has 220K, no rust, new tinted windows, good tires.

I appreciate any tips/ advice. Thanks!

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Sorry to hear and good luck.

Unfortunately, selling it for "anything" is really your best offer since most other options require money or time on your end (fixing it, parting it out, paying someone to haul it away, scrapping it, etc...). You're looking at a $4kish car with almost that much in parts and labor needed (plus any troubleshooting that you can't currently do on a non-running car).

FWIW I have the time/means (but no need) to do a quick and cheap motor swap but I'd still hesitate at anything over $500... might get someone to bite at $1k if its a manual assuming the body is in good shape. Part-out might get you $400 for the wheels/tires and $400 for the non rolling shell. Alternatively you might get a few grand tax credit donating it to Newgate or similar.

Chux likes this.
  3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

What he said.

Unfortunately, everything else on those cars tends to outlast the engine, so a car without an engine does not have much value. More than scrap, but not much.

If you don't need a quick sale, list it for $1k or so, and see what kind of interest you get. If you need it gone quick.....$500 or less.

There are deals to be had on engines, but there's some risk in that to make sure you don't get a bad one. If you're paying labor, most shops aren't fond of installing an engine that the customer provided because of that high risk of failure....

4. Noah wallace

Noah wallace New Member

Ok, thanks!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Nhibbs likes this.