Everything Was Sound

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Navar Hren, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

It isn't very often that I come across music that I care to share with those around me, preferring to simply let most enjoy that with which they have discovered on their own. Today is different.

*If you aren't into metal, this probably isn't for you*

“Russell, who holds a Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology (and revealed that he has been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder), delves wholly into mental health with this release. Russell revealed that the overall linking theme of the album is that it takes places within a Panopticon – a prison of deception. By definition, a Panopticon is a circular prison where prisoners can be viewed from a central well at all times. Further elaborating the concept Russell said “every room in the panopticon is another person diagnosed with mental illness. Some of them suffer from environmental trauma, like PTSD and some have adapted to the world we have put them in. I’m trying to understand these stories throughout the songs – both challenging society’s stigmatization of mental illness while searching for hope amidst the inner-reality of suffering people.”

The opening track "Inherit the Earth" starts with a gentle and atmospheric sound erupting after a short moment of peace. My skin is still crawling after feeling the sheer aggression and brutality within his voice.

Have a listen. If you'd like an extra glimpse into things, the second video link is an analysis of the album with Garrett himself.

Calling all metal heads! I'll share some more finds and favorites soon.

BroCo and MN_XV_712 like this.
  2. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

If you only listen to one song from this album, this is the one. Do it.

3. mike4king

mike4king Member

This is one of my favorite "rock-ish" songs as of late.

4. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Polyphia definitely has their s*** together. The talent coming from that group seems to be limitless and I'm honestly looking forward to how they'll sound after they mature.

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I can relate "to an extent" with the song about PTSD. The fear can be crippling and the medications remove you from society the same way that the original symptoms do.

But i found Hope and wholeness, that is not part of the song. :p

Some heavy stuff! Haven't listened to any real heavy metal since my teens/early 20's.

6. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I do likes me a good "time signatures are optional" band...

Navar Hren likes this.
  7. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Was music even invented back then?

8. tangledupinblu

Irrelevant.

9. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

This might just have to turn into a "share yer metals" thread!

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

They were trying, but it was a little touch and go. That's how they ended up with stuff like this:

Stop inserting the wrong link, BDI XenForo

Edit: Fixed link

11. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Northlane! These guys got a stellar new frontman last year and have been absolutely crushing it since! Here's a taste of that new work that gets me all pumped up. If you can't tell, I tend to lean toward the progressive/djent/metalcore side of metal. Music you can FEEL!

Edit: Here's a link to the full album stream.

12. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Next up: VOLUMES. This is the band that started my love for this particular niche within the metal world. Randomly stumbled upon these fellas at a little coffee house called The Beat in Uptown. There were no more than 30 people in attendance and yet these dudes put all of their heart into the show as if there was 30,000 screaming fans in front of them. The Beat doesn't even have a stage!

Favorite from this album - Intake

Full Album

VIA absolutely took the metal world by storm and pushed its way into my forever keep folder. Their next album No Sleep was no different. I found in this album so much emotion, both anger and sadness. The track Vahle is dedicated to a members' grandfather that passed away just before recording.

Can sexual lyrics sound a little metal? Yup! Here's Across the Bed

Full Album

MN_XV_712 likes this.
  13. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Last one for the day (I hope. Should probably get some actual work done)

Bring me the Horizon! I know, they sold out. F*** them right? Yep. BUT, in that time they managed to release some of the best work I have ever come across. Especially from them! I'll keep this one short and sweet leaving it at how pleasantly surprised I was when giving this album a first listen.

Still unsure whether or not this is anti-faith or just against organized religion.
    House of Wolves!

Full Album: Give this one a solid play through if you like anything you've heard so far. A little whiney at times but man, this s*** can get brutal.

14. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I'll play! Here are a few of my favorites.

15. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Solid contributions! Lamb of God never ceases to amaze me. More specifically, their drummer.

16. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

If this song is a decent representation of all their stuff, I think I could get on board. The first one you posted, not so much. Just can't do it vocally.

Any way you can "share" any of this the "old school" way? I'm in a pickle when it comes to new music. Dont have internet at home so can't stream jack. Limited to phone, and that's limited enough already. I have a good friend that used to supply me steadily from his ever expanding pirate ship cargo, but he got "noticed" by Comcast somewhat recently and was given a very stern warning. That being said, if there's any way to do a file transfer via flash drive or something sometime, that'd be excellent.

Lastly, keeping with this limited to the crappy phone browsing theme, I'll probably have to quote each one of your videos I want to comment on rather than copy/pasting them all together. My apologies to all ahead of time.

Edit - Some of my "current" favorite "metal" bands include Amon Amarth, A Day To Remember, August Burns Red, God Forbid, War of Ages, Nodes of Ranvier, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine (limited to off the top of my head and currently on the iPod rotation).

Also. Anybody here ever heard of Nodes of Ranvier? Just curious.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  17. Krazylegz1485

Umm, yes.

18. Krazylegz1485

Holy cow. Haven't run As I Lay Dying through the speakers in a while, but thanks to you it's going back on. Man they kicked some serious ass. F you Tim Lambesis for ruining a good thing.

Ever listen to Austrian Death Machine?

19. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

Since this is a metalish thread, might share a little something I haven't listened to for a long time, enjoy the breakdowns and crazy chaos!

20. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

MN_XV_712, BroCo and Navar Hren like this.
  21. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Well played. Local ftw!

22. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Sadly, I am currently streaming anything I listen to. A series of two phones without sd slots and choosing to not have internet at home this year has kept my booty from steadily increasing in size like it once did. I could however dig a little and try to proxy my way through things at a coffee shop ;D Worth a shot.

Edit: After a very brief listen (surrounded by clients) I will most assuredly be giving Nodes of Ranvier a more in-depth listen. Great so far!

23. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

On the softer side, but musically one of my favorite bands. Tremonti is amazing!

24. tangledupinblu

Was that a video of you vaping bro...with birds? Zomg!

Pretty killer song there fuzz. I like the way that he speeds it up with almost a "rap like" quality(think Twista).

Navar Hren likes this.
  25. tehfuzz

Cloud game strong, homie!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  26. tehfuzz

Do you even djent , brah? Some cerebral **** for your earholes.

27. tangledupinblu

I was d3enting before d3enting became a thing bruh!?

And fwiw bb, my ear holes are very pleased by that one!

28. Krazylegz1485

Open Your Eyes is one of my favorite songs of all time. The guitar is madness. I think I listened to it over 20 times in a row one night in the garage.

29. Krazylegz1485

I was friends with 2 of the original guys back in the day. They were from Sioux Falls. Went through several singer/lineup changes which definitely changed their sound several times. Each album is almost completely different from the rest because they sound so different. Kinda cool. There's a handful of songs I don't care for vocally, but musically they all rip.

Another local, most likely unheard of, group that I can never get sick of is Get Young. They put out like a 5 song ep several years ago and nothing more. If you can find it, I think you'll dig it. Just a bunch of high school guys that somehow recorded an insanely awesome sounding couple of tracks.

30. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Djent-rap? On of my favorite bands from across the pond.

BroCo likes this.
  31. Krazylegz1485

Ended up just scoring a bunch from my pirate buddy! Two albums each from Volumes and Northlane, us a bunch of others I haven't heard of but will give a listen.

Anybody go to the Deftones show the other night? Insanely good.

Navar Hren likes this.