Feature requests thread :)

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by EricS, Jun 12, 2014.

1. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Hey guys, it would be cool if there were:

- way to disable smileys (viewing others' and translating text>graphical as two separate preferences?)
    - option to disable the 'are you sure you want to mark forums read' confirmation dialog - maybe it should be default off on mobile view?
    - other stuff that I can't remember right now :D

Thanks,
    Eric

2. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Hi @WRX1 , any thoughts on the above?

I was also wondering if there is any setting/addin that would let the user control the size of an image link/upload, right now you only have the option of thumbnail (pretty small) or full size (often huge). It would be really nice to have something like gmail, where you can select between a few different sizes... Thanks!

3. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

From your list.

Smileys are on or off, site wide, for everyone. So there is no way to turn them off for certain people unless you get into a bunch of custom coding.
    Mark forums read. There is no options for this. It would be custom coding to make it happen.
    Image upload. There is only the option for maximum upload size (2048x1600) and the thumbnail size (100px). So viewable sizes are up to the end user. I could cut down the upload size limit, but this will effect everything.

The big thing to remember is that the site as a whole doesn't change from desktop to mobile. As the screen resolution changes, things move around, but the site does not change. There is no "mobile" skin or anything like that. The whole site is based off of screen size. Even if your screen is small (phone/tablet), you are still getting the full website just like you would in the desktop.

Russ

4. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Thanks Russ, sounds good.

Re the image upload, what I noticed is that if you use a 24in+ widescreen monitor with the browser maximized, the images in threads appear huge! :) Makes it hard to see the whole picture.

5. cloudpost

cloudpost Member

How about this:

post picture from your phones camera. like for a for sale thread. have a button that will open your camera app and lets you take the photos and embed them into the thread. Is that available in tappatalk?

6. PandaStep

PandaStep Member

Possibly a way to make the most recent post first instead of the first post when coming into a thread.

7. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Mine jumps right to the first "unread" message in the thread. I'm not sure how I got it setup to do that (just looked and couldn't find a setting). I tend to "mark all forums read" each time I browse the site after reading any any threads that look interesting. Then, the next time I open the thread, it takes me right to the new posts.

8. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yep, this one gets me too. On a widescreen ratio monitor the images will just fit to the width and you can't even see the whole image without scrolling up or down.

It would be nice if you could have all the images automatically scale to a fixed width. Like 1000pixels wide, or something like that. This is what a lot of forums do.

9. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

That is your answer. The forums will automatically go to the first new unread post if you click the thread title, or it goes to the first post of the thread if you click on the date.

This is something that I plan on working on. Natively the site will just display whatever anyone links/attaches. I can cut down the maximum upload size to people can only attach at a certain size, but I am not sure how that will effect links. This is something that is going to require a outside solution and I just need to find it.

Russ

EricS likes this.
  10. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Russ, does the following code do the trick?

It sounds like you want to allow large images which will zoom to full size when clicked, but limit the size they appear in posts?

In which case add this to EXTRA.css:
    Code:
    .message .messageContent .messageText img {
    max-width: 50%;
    }
    Change max-width to suit, you can set it to 800px instead of a percentage if you wish.​

11. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

There has to be a way to do that via an actual resizing mechanism. The "right" way to do that is to actually resize the image before it gets pushed into the response. Client-side resizing often looks like ass and does nothing to reduce the payload, which is particularly annoying for mobile.

Not sure if we have options like that...

Edit: Quick search for Xenforo image resizer says yes, that's a thing. Just have to research the right one for us.

EricS likes this.
  12. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Good point Pete, I was thinking more about just getting something working than if it was optimal :) I did a fair bit of searching for server-side image resizing, and this thread has the best (only really) solution I found. I wanted to contact the author to see if they'd be willing to share how they did this, but I can't post in that forum - can someone else get in touch with them and ask?

Speaking of payload/mobile, have you guys done any network profiling of MNSubaru load times? It could be improved somewhat I think :) There are a bunch of assets that aren't cached because of expiry settings (the avatars and various js/css files stand out), the same js/css files are blocking page render, the server response time itself seems kinda slow (500-800ms), etc.

Is there a CDN setup for MNSubaru static assets like images, scripts, and user avatars? This could make a huge difference I think. Seems like there are several guides out there on how to set up MaxCDN and other CDN solutions.
    Also is caching (memcached) enabled?

Thanks!
    Eric

13. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

At this time, not yet. I still need to get the servers update at linode and then I will dig into that from there. Once I get up and running on their new hardware I will start to worry about getting everything else dialed in.

APC is setup on the webserver and memcach is running on the DB server. Once I get the servers updated, I planned on setting up all the static content from a cdn. I just need to get the time to get everything done.

Russ

EricS likes this.
  14. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

How about a back to top button?

15. EricS

EricS Nooberator

There is one on the normal desktop site, at the far bottom right next to 'Contact Us' there is a 'Top' link.
    For mobile, you just need an iPhone Kyle ;)

For some reason it doesn't show up on the mobile responsive view @WRX1 ? Also in the mobile view it would be nice if the 'Mark Forums Read' button was visible without having to click the '...' dropdown, cause I use that all the time - at least it's hidden on a pre-6 iPhone.

16. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

You do have the lower breadcrumb that will take you to the top of the forum, just not the top on the thread you are in.

At this point, you can't just pick and choose that tabs are exposed for certain screen width's. The header is not really customizable without some serious recoding. I know that with the next big Xenforo redesign that is happening, better header/tab controls is one of the features that will be added.

Russ

EricS likes this.
  17. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Not really a request, but just curious...if I "leave a conversation" and chose to "accept future messages", if that person were to reply to the conversation again in the future, will it also include the history of the conversation, or ONLY the new message?

18. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member