Flashing check engine light?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by mcblum, Aug 12, 2018.

1. mcblum

mcblum Well-Known Member

Whoops! I think my beloved 2002 WRX wagon is having some real issues. On the highway tonight it started to shake, especially at low RPMs, and then the check engine light started flashing. When I stepped on the gas, there was an intermittant loss of power almost constantly. I was able to make it the 2 miles back to our place, but something definitely isn't right and it's most certainly not drivable.

Has anyone experienced this before? I assume my best bet is to have it towed to JM Automotive? I love this car, I hope she's ok.

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Got any way to pull the codes? That'd be a good place to start and hopefully it'll point you in the right direction as to where to start.

I've had flashing CEL's on numerous occasions but never had the shaking car symptoms. Just totally depends on what exactly is happening.

3. oscar velazquez

oscar velazquez New Member

I had this happen on my Audi, pretty much the same symptoms. It turned out to be a misfire. For my Audi, much different than a Subaru all I needed were new ignition coils. Could also have to do with spark plugs.

jubella2 likes this.
  4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

You’re on the right track, JM Auto is an excellent choice! I hope that she’s ok as well

5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I always thought a flashing CEL meant to shut the engine off as soon as possible since there is something wrong that can cause serious damage.

6. mcblum

mcblum Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. The question is just whether the serious thing is something that's fixable for less than a boatload of money.

These replies give me hope! Maybe it's something that, while serious, won't cause me to have to get a new car.

7. tangledupinblu

Well, you never HAVE to get a new car! When my bugeye motor was on her last leg i had RS motors build me a hybrid 2.0/2.5L block. Cost is somewhere near $6k.(probably would be a little more with installation labor).

Either way, there are some options when deciding to ditch the bug or let it live. Praying that it’s nothing major.

Just curious, how many miles on the engine and have you had the exhaust valves relashed on it at any point?

8. mcblum

mcblum Well-Known Member

The engine has around 117K miles now. I got it with 48K miles on it, new to me in 2004. I have not had anything done to the exhaust valves that I know of. The only thing that I noticed about a year ago is that when I'd push the engine a bit (like up around 5000 RPM) it would lose power a bit. I took it to JM who fixed a couple things, but the issue remained. Now the car has the same feeling (loss of power, like a little hiccup) only at all RPMs and I have a flashing CEL rather than a constant one :)

9. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Have you checked to see what cyl(s) are missfiring

10. tangledupinblu

Sounds like it could be a coil pack? I’d chase the misfire code

11. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Flashing CEL is a real-time misfire. Unfortunately there's a laundry list of things that could cause it...From bad gas all the way to low compression in one or more cyl.

jubella2, Chux and MidnightImpreza like this.
  12. mcblum

mcblum Well-Known Member

Interesting. I... actually do have one of those code readers however I forgot that I had it and didn't check before it was towed to JM Auto. They are looking at it tomorrow.

A real-time misfire is exactly what it felt like. In fact, that's what it felt like for about a year when around 5,000 RPM but if I just didn't push it, it didn't happen until yesterday.

Obviously it's impossible to say exactly what it could be, but in general is this a big fix?

13. tangledupinblu

It depends on which option is the problem. You’ll know in a couple of days!

MidnightImpreza likes this.
  14. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Could be as dumb as a cracked/failing coilpack or plug, could be a borked head/valves. I've had the distinct pleasure of dealing with both on the same car. lol

15. mcblum

mcblum Well-Known Member

So stressful! Really don't want to lose my Subbie. She's been such a rock.

16. tangledupinblu

Then make sure that she lives! When i was weighing the option of scrapping my bugeye or going with a new motor, the choice was simple both emotionally and financially. It made more sense in my situation to do the motor. I had poured so much of myself into making it what i wanted, that anything else would have felt like starting over. And a motor was cheaper than the new car payment would be! Lol.

That’s all “worse case scenario” of course! We are praying that it’s something simple! It’s in good hands

17. mcblum

mcblum Well-Known Member

No doubt :) Thanks dude.

18. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for coil packs and spark plugs.

19. MidnightImpreza

MidnightImpreza Well-Known Member

Blinking CEL isn't the worst thing that could be. It can be several things. I had mine blink for broken exhaust reasons.

Does your "cruise" light come on too? Cause mine would. And cruise control was inactive.

Like everyone mentioned, could be a variety. Best wishes!

20. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Did we ever figure out what was wrong? Was it the plugs/coil packs? I must know, the suspense is killing me.

jubella2 likes this.