fluid change on new '05 WRX

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by AWD 101, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

wohoo! bring on the snow!
    [​IMG] :D

3 questions:

1) the owners manual/maintainence schedule for the wrx says oil change every 7500 miles. because of our climate and the fact that i plan on driving hard on occasion, i will probably do this somewhere around every 3000-5000 miles. i will be switching to full synthetic at first opportunity. my question is when should i do the first one? i'll definitely have the dealer do it for me so they flush out any particulate in the oil... but perhaps i will do the oil changes in the future (as soon as i learn how.)

2) as above, when/how frequently do you all recommend other fluids flushed and changed, in particular the first 1 or 2 times it is done. of primary concern is transmission (5 speed) fluid but also coolant of course. i want to be sure to get as much junk from break-in out of the system as soon possible.

3) any thoughts on coolant/antifreeze? is whatever comes with the car adequate for our climate?

Thanks in advance!

2. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

1)I changed mine at 250 500 1000 then 3k after. The reason is to get as much of the swarf (metal shavings from machining) out of the motor as possible. I droped the filter at 500 and 1000.

Synthetic? I would not change to syn till somewhere between 7500 and 10000. The reason? the liners in a subi are nickasil they do not wear the rings fast. If you use a slippery oil this will just cause the rings not to wear in.

Stealership: dont take it there it is just a rip off! send my a pm and I will make time to show you how to do it.

2) tranny oil: wait till spring for that. The type of oil will be the key. Dont buy any till you get the recomindation. Basically the diff takes different oil than the tranny.

3)antifreeze: will be fine for a while. I usually do it every 2 years

Matt

3. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Synthetic changed every 7500 to 10000??? You're nuts, I run synthetic and still change every 5000.

4. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

No, he's suggesting to wait until the motor has that many miles on it before switching from dino oil to synthetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.