Footwear recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Krazylegz1485, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Hey all. Got kind of a weird off topic for ya. I'm in the market for a new pair of work shoes and can't really solve my problems. Seeking suggestions, as dropping $150+ on a pair of work boots just to experiment isn't in the budget.

Currently rocking 6 yr old Red Wing boots. Some of the most comfortable things I've ever worn. However, definitely due for replacement.

My main complaint currently is that they're too warm, or maybe not breathable enough.

I've also got a pair of Nike flyknit lunar running shoes that are super breathable, really light, and generally ungodly comfy. However, they suck to stand on concrete all day.

My wish list would be the support and durability of a work boot, with perhaps a little breathability. I tried on some of Keen's work boots this weekend and they were awful. Way too wide and just uncomfortable altogether.

Any suggestions? I'm not brand specific by any means but do have a long and narrow foot.

2. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

I had the same results. I did commercial jobs installing the wood floors in the life time fitness center's across the country. Needed steel toes so I went cheap many times then went red wing . they were hot but very comfortable on the concrete floors. Usually 12-16 hrs a day. Couldn't find anything comparable.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I really like my redwings. I have one pair that's insulated and one that are not. The ones I use for work are redwings top rated boot but they are around $250 bucks not a cheap boot. Had 2 pairs of these in 3 years. My old job was very hard on boots oil soaked floors still lasted 2 years when most boots last 6mo to a year in the conditions I worked in.

Krazylegz1485 and Scott like this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

I've never had a shoe/boot as comfortable as these Red Wings. When I bought them they were right around $180. MSRP at the Red Wing store now is $245. Frickin sucks. However, have more than gotten my money's worth out of them. 6+ years, 2 or 3 sets of insoles, and a handful of new laces. The front of the left sole is just now coming loose from the boot and the lining in my right one is kinda coming apart in the heel. Otherwise, insane how durable they've been.

I'm probably going to end up getting a new pair of the same ones just because. And then still find another alternative for work.

5. JasonoJordan

Check out the red wing store on white bear ave really nice guy very helpful. He owns the branch store and will wheel and deal.

tehfuzz and Scott like this.
  6. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

7. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Redwing has gone down hill fast. My most recent pair are almost junk after 6-8 months of use. Making their boots in China and still charging over $200/pair I don't think I'll ever buy another Redwing product. So yea, I am also interested in this thread so I can find other options for my next pair of boots.

8. JasonoJordan

Not all are made in china. The top end are still made in the USA.

9. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

I've been really happy with Merrill. Along the same line as Keen, but I think they run a little narrower. Very light and supportive.
    You won't get the longevity from a hiking/athletic shoe as you will with regular work boots like Red Wing. The trade off is weight and cushioning.
    You can also look into getting your current boots re-soled. My dad has done that with a couple of pairs. Ask at a Red Wing store.

10. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

That's where I got mine. He took forever to help me get the right boot. They aren't cheap but cheap boots get very expensive!

11. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

This is false. My father worked for Red Wing, just retired actually. Majority of all their boots are made right in Red Wing, and Danville, Kentucky. Actually I don't think anything is made in China anymore (they had some cheap dress shoes made in China a while back), but I'd have to ask him to double check.

I have lost count of how many pairs of Red Wings I have, but it's easily 10+. Most of mine are from their heritage division, but I've had their work boots in the past, and they are second to none.

So obviously I'm biased, but they are the go to. Have you thought about having yours resoled? Otherwise if they are too hot, make sure you get a non-insulated pair. If you ever make it to Red Wing, stop by the flagship store - they have the biggest selection and can point you to the right breathable pair.

12. Krazylegz1485

My current pair is not insulated. Just plain ol' leather. And I've heard about resoling but they're so worn out as a whole it would be worth it. To be honest, the soles are almost new looking on the bottom. I almost need the opposite of a resole, haha.

Wife and I actually went to the Red Wing flagship store last year sometime. It was pretty cool. Giant boot and a clearance section in the basement. Ended up scoring a sweet new lunch box/bag.

13. Krazylegz1485

So I've noticed that the Red Wing branded stores generally price their boots higher than a regular shoe store that sells them. Is that because it's "factory direct" or something so they just charge full retail?

When we went to the flagship store last year the boots I wanted were $245. But the shoe store in Owatonna had the same pair for $189, regular price. Guy said they could sell them a little cheaper because they were an authorized vendor or something. I think I remember him saying something like 20% under retail, which would be pretty close I think.

14. JasonoJordan

Thats pretty standard accross alot of manufacturing. Like for example. I can buy a watlow heater cheaper from one of their vendors then I can directly from watlow.

15. Krazylegz1485

You don't have any pics of this sweet collection/quiver/hoard of yours do ya? That's awesome.

Guy I bought my first pair from (Red Wing store on Dale St, south of 36) was like "You know what happens after you get your 7th pair of Red Wings, right?" I look at him confused. He proceeds to show me his Red Wing tattoo...

TMF and tangledupinblu like this.
  16. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

When @TMF starts unzipping his pants, it's to show you his tattoo... at least at first.

17. freeze2104

freeze2104 Well-Known Member

http://us.shop.ecco.com/outdoor-men...001944.html?dwvar_001944_color=00741#cgid=men

Very good support, will last you a long time, very comfortable once they mold to your feet. I would use ecco's for my work shoes. I had a pair of the dress shoes that lasted me 5 years and I could stand all day on them. They are expensive but they will last. If you get them from a trade home shoes store, they come with a 1 year warranty. Just bring them back to the store and they'll replace them for you.

18. NaMinesClarence

NaMinesClarence Well-Known Member

I wear New Balance safety toe shoes and I'm on my feet for the majority of 10 hours a day. Love them, on my second pair.

19. Krazylegz1485

Reminds me of Ecco the Dolphin, an awful Sega game we used to play. Will check into them. Thanks.

20. Krazylegz1485

Any idea of a store that sells them? Thanks!

21. JasonoJordan

Pretty sure nakomis shoe does

tangledupinblu likes this.
  22. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I've been buying my work boots for the past 7 years from the Crystal location! Great people, very helpful, and willing to wheel and deal! Would highly recommend them!!!

23. wagonsrumble

wagonsrumble Member

I've had cabellas steel toe work boots and those things have been thtough everything lol. Like 4 trips to thr boundary waters, wearing them for school, wearing them for work and wearing them as a snow boot, best boots I've had. They arent that breatheable but theyve held up to everything I've thrown at them and they're still kicking. I love them and they havent really worn down quickly. May have to get another pair this winter tho not a lot of tread left but still has decent traction

24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Lol maybe I will sometime on a rainy day. And I know Red Wing is pretty strict about discounts, but it's very possible the authorized retail stores have more flexibility. I'd off to hook you up with a nice discount, but now that the old man is retired, I can barely get a discount!

25. NaMinesClarence

Chets shoes

26. tangledupinblu

Lmao

27. NaMinesClarence

I'm serious lol

28. freeze2104

freeze2104 Well-Known Member

Tradehome Shoes will give you the 1 year warranty in their store. I know there is one in Eden Prairie, there was one in the Northtown mall but idk if it's still there. Other stores are the walking company, scheels, macys, nordstroms.

29. Krazylegz1485

Lmao indeed. We went to Chet's two weekends ago. Total joke. They had Keen and Timberland. In a 20 x 20 store. That's it.

30. JasonoJordan

Well you know they cant afford a huge store and inventory. It costs alot to feed a big foot.

31. glen

glen Well-Known Member

http://www.chetsshoes.com/about.htm

"Chet's Shoes has been in business in the Twin Cities metro area for the last 62 years. Since becoming a specialized retailer, Chet's has added four stores and four Mobile Shoe Trucks to service the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area, becoming Minnesota's largest specialized retailer in work footwear."

Not sure where you went, but they are no joke.

32. tangledupinblu

I just laughed because Chet bought his boots at Chet's.

NaMinesClarence likes this.
  33. NaMinesClarence

They bring 4 trucks to my work once a year. I've also been to the north metro one several times, great customer service but they did downsize the store recently.

In high school an "S" fell off the sign out front, it said "Chet's Hoes" for a couple days. LMAO

34. tangledupinblu

Hahahaha, that's perfect!!

35. Krazylegz1485

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but my recent experience was laughable. I checked their site and was kinda pumped to go see a nice selection.

The location on Coon Rapids Blvd got bought out by Red Wing so that's all they sell. Guy told us to go to the one in Columbia Heights or whatever on Central. Seriously no bigger than 20 x 20 and had about as many shoes on display as I have in my house right now. Plus there was another Red Wing store in the same building, directly next door.

Is there another, better spot? Cuz I'm more than willing to check it out again. But what they had at the one was sad.

36. glen

glen Well-Known Member

I've only used Chet's mobile truck. Also Loeffler Shoes and Hy-test.

I've switched back to Dr. Martens myself after trying a couple other brands, but mine mostly just see office time with occasional trips to the shop floor, not real "work". That said, I have an old pair for house/garage work that took 8+ years to wear out.

37. JasonoJordan

I had a set of docs. In the oil at my old job soles fell apart in 4 months

38. JasonoJordan

I was not the only one. Everyone with that boot had the sole break in the same spot.