Forester or Crosstrek?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Zehyani, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

Guys,

Advise me.
    I want a car to carry a couple of canoes, go cross country skiing, and pull a small boat occasionally.
    I want a stick shift, and am not sure whether to get a Forester or a crosstrek. It looks like the next generation forester will not get a manual.
    Both cars could use a little more power.

Is anyone able to either custom order or build a slightly more powerful car, ie something with a low pressure turbo? It has to be able to go offroad a little and definitely handle at least medium snow.

Priorities.
    1. A little more power, especially low end torque on pump gas.
    2. Comfortable. I am getting old and have some low back pain.?? Recaros?
    3. Very reliable.
    4. HID headlights. see 2 above re getting old.
    5. Stick shift.

Thanks.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Sounds like you need an older model Forester with turbo, 5 spd, and HID headlights retrofitted! Amirite!?

Kind of a big punchlist to squeeze out of a Subaru.

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

New Jeep Wrangler.
    LED headlights trump HIDs.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. tangledupinblu

I’d think about the Ford lines if you need all of those things. I’d say turbo Escape, but i’m not sure if they can handle the boat. Oh yeah, probably no manual either.

This is a real head scratcher!

5. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

Being a Crosstrek owner myself, I would say if you are only picking between those two models, I would go with the Forester. The Crosstrek is a super fun car to drive and I love mine, but I wouldn't really trust it to pull a small boat.. plus you would have more storage room with the Forester.

Screenshot_20180329-221129_Instagram.jpg

6. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

2013 FXT with a 6 speed STI swap! Just raise it a little bit, and she'll be off road capable.

[​IMG]

klutz, jubella2, MN_XV_712 and 2 others like this.
  7. tangledupinblu

Pure shmex!

8. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Fixed #5 for you...

Also, all gas is pumped. :) Do you want 91-93 or 87? Personally, I love having a turbo but appreciate the cost of 87 octane. This is why I have a WRX and my wife has a Forester. If I'm totally honest, I have an old Forester too for when I'm lazy.

9. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

The new Outbacks can tow 2700 for the 2.5i and 3000 lbs for the 3.6R. Looks like both the Forester and Crosstrek have a max towing capacity of 1500 lbs. Unless you're carrying a tugboat, I'm sure either one can handle a fishing boat or the such (with a light trailer). As for power, turbo you will be stuck with not "pump gas". I think ride quality is about the same on Foz and Cross. Forester can hold more stuff, almost 10 cubic feet more with the seats up and 17 with them down. America got lucky on the Foz by not having the self leveling suspension in the back. Outback has higher cubic feet than both of those. Crosstrek has 152 hp and Forester is at 170/250 for NA/turbo, both pretty gutless from the reviews (and the NA Foz that I test drove, co-worker has a XV). All older models you'd have to retrofit for HID's (lights/ballasts/wiring work/possibly new headlights if you buy cheapy eBay HID's that can melt the plastic). Forester started with a 5 speed, ditched it totally for the SH series (2009-2013) then went back with the NA versions, the new Crosstrek is getting either a CVT or 6 speed manual option in the US market-XV in EU is stuck with CVT. Either one should be able to handle medium snow with proper tires as long as you don't slam it. You "could" either turbo or supercharge it...gonna cost more moolah though (and void any warranty on a newer one). If you want to haul more, I'd say broaden your horizons to a turbo'd Outback. The ground clearance was all 8.7 inches for the 2015 year on all 3 models. Don't think they really raised or lowered them that much throughout the model years.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  10. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

...and that SH Foz is SEXXAY! Pretty much my plans for mine, not slamming it that low though. And probably no STi swap...don't have an extra 6k plus laying around for the transmission/SIDrive/DCCD. And that front bumper is around 450 bucks (saving my pennies!).

11. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I have a 2014 Forester XT. As stated, your choices will most likely not come out of the box ready to check everything off of your list, but there are compromises. I REALLY didn't want to lose the MT in my previous WRX, and that is the biggest reason I have debated going back to a WRX... However, anytime we do any kind of road trip, camping, ski/snowboarding, cabin trip, or just head to the lake(s) for the day, I fall in love with my Forester again.

The CVT is definitely Bull-in-a-china-shop fragile. But with the stock 250 HP I have enjoyed the drive. I don't have any intention of major power upgrades, and with the money that it would cost to break the ~350HP zone, there are much more fun/better equipped options for the money IMO.

I have the premium, so no HID... but with LED upgrades, light bars and the sort, night time lighting/off roading is definitely available and reasonably priced. I haul our Kayaks on top frequently in the warm months, as well as multiple bikes on hitch mount.

Like Skubi1 said, towing is not great, but cargo capacity is. And when I'm not using it, I have a great little rig to zip around the city in.

Even with the CVT, reliability has been great for me. I'm at 74k miles now, and have made some long hauls with her. Overall great, safe, practical, functional and reliable vehicle. Happy searching, and let us know what you end up with!

upload_2018-3-30_10-15-21.png

EDIT: Clearly I favor the left side of this vehicle for photos...

Attached Files:

12. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I would wait to check out the new ascent but thats just me.

Ctracey218 and MN_XV_712 like this.
  13. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

Two canoes are pretty wide lot of ducking getting in and out of the car. I would get something that's up a little higher

14. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

Thanks.
    Want a stick.
    dead reliable is important.
    Probably do the forester.
    The 2010 -14 outbaks with 4 cyl engine and stick seemed really slow and heavy. Not a good option for me.
    the boat is a light 14 ft with a 12 horse engine. I can pull it with my bike.
    appreciate all the input.

15. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

As a former 2013 crosstrek owner, I would tend to lean forester.

The crosstrek was a great car I loved (until it developed crazy issues)
    The seats were not that comfortable.
    I didn’t have HID lights. I’m not sure about newer models
    It really didn’t have a ton of space with the seats up.
    It did not have a lot of power. The cross country road trip we took it on showed the lack of power in the mountains for sure.

I’ve only driven a forester for a few days while the crosstrek was in for service. But when I replaced it, my choice with staying subaru was forester or outback. I was made a better deal on the outback and I’m pretty happy with it.

16. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

With the Forester (SH or newer ones, you may be hard-pressed to find one that doesn't have the 4EAT. Most were owned by soccer moms or old people that didn't want the manual---bonus, you know they weren't beat on. That said, that transmission is pretty bomb-proof...on the forester forums people say it's probably one of the best transmissions Subaru ever put into their cars. There is a paddle shifter kit that you can buy for it (has to be in maual mode, then can shift). I love mine, I remember how much I hated being in lowered cars--can't see beyond other cars at stop lights/turns. As for NA 4 boxers, they're all going to be geared pretty gutless, not just the Outback same exact engine in both, unless you get the H6 in the Outback, which will give you a lot more (about 70 more hp). You'll probably find that the Crosstrek/Forester have roughly about the same powerband that it does. You may be stuck with the 2004-2008 Forester if a manual is your only option. I'm not trying to pump up the Outback over the Forester, I LOVE my FOZ, just trying to give you unbiased options.

17. pillboy

http://autoweek.com/article/wait-theres-more/heres-every-new-production-car-you-can-buy-manual-us

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S

Audi A4
    Audi A5

BMW 2-Series,
    BMW M2
    BMW 3/4-Series
    BMW M3, M4

Cadillac ATS/ATS-V

Chevy Camaro – all versions
    Chevy Corvette – Stingray, Z06, Grand Sport
    Chevy SS - just died
    Chevy Spark
    Chevy Cruze
    Chevy Sonic
    Chevy Colorado (4 cylinder only)

Dodge Challenger

Fiat 124 Spider
    Fiat 500, also Abarth version
    Fiat 500X

Ford Focus base, ST and RS
    Ford Fiesta base and ST
    Ford Mustang - all versions

Honda Civic base, Si, Type R
    Honda Fit
    Honda Accord
    Honda HR-V

Hyundai Veloster
    Hyundai Accent
    Hyundai Elantra/GT

Jaguar F-Type (V6 only)

Jeep Renegade
    Jeep Patriot (soon to die)
    Jeep Compass
    Jeep Wrangler

Kia Rio
    Kia Forte
    Kia Soul

Lotus Evora

Mazda MX-5
    Mazda 3
    Mazda 6

Mini Cooper

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
    Mitsubishi Mirage

Nissan Versa
    Nissan Sentra
    Nissan Juke Nismo (fwd)
    Nissan Frontier (4 cyl 2wd only)
    Nissan 370Z

Pagani Huayra – if you’re willing to pay for it

Porsche 911 – excluding Turbo, and Turbo S
    Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman

Ram truck (Cummins engine only)

Smart ForTwo

Subaru WRX
    Subaru WRX STI
    Subaru Crosstrek
    Subaru Forester
    Subaru BRZ
    Subaru Impreza

Toyota 86
    Toyota Yaris, Yaris iA
    Toytoa Corolla, iM
    Toyota Tacoma

VW Beetle
    VW Golf, GTI, Golf R
    VW Jetta

JuStaWRX likes this.
  18. tangledupinblu

Are any of them reliable?

MN_XV_712 and pillboy like this.
  19. pillboy

I know some that aren't...

klutz and tangledupinblu like this.
  20. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered how people shop for these (myself included). The search results are never what you want.

I mean they're basically a front engine, rwd sedan, right? And available with a manual? Sign me up.

21. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

thanks for the list of manual cars. I am gratified to see that so many exist.
    loo

22. 007

007 Active Member

Forester. No question. The most capable vehicle I have ever owned. It does at least 95% of anything you need in transportation. I have owned two and will buy another one.

23. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

thanks. am actively looking for a late model manual forester. Just have to sell my current driver

24. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Priorities.
    1. A little more power, especially low end torque on pump gas.
    2. Comfortable. I am getting old and have some low back pain.?? Recaros?
    3. Very reliable.
    4. HID headlights. see 2 above re getting old.
    5. Stick shift.

Jeep Wrangler with the V6.

Manuals are tough if you're looking for something pretty new. Really the Jeep is pretty much it. They're the only brand that lets you even have a manual...plus the V6...plus good tow rating, etc.

You have more options if you can forgo #5.

For Subaru, it's the Legacy chassis that you're kind of stuck with for towing. Grab an Outback and look for a H6 model for reasonable power.

The Forester has never been rated high for towing, and Subaru oddly doesn't care. They've pretty much decided the Legacy chassis as it for both towing and the H6 engine.

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  25. tangledupinblu

They really should do an H6 Forester.

26. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the new models, but "Wrangler" and "comfort" have never really been together in the same sentence. All new Foz's are going to be gutless thanks to no turbo option. Recaros are nice but I've sat in a LOT more comfy seats than those, especially for what they charge for the name. For all of our road trips, probably going to stick with our Acadia though (even more gutless, but a LOT more comfortable than our Foz).

27. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Have you considered a Toyota 4Runner?

;)

(Yes, I know you're selling one. There are a few of us that went from Subarus to 4Runners on the board)

28. Zehyani

Zehyani Active Member

The 4 runner is a fantastic car but a little too big for my needs. I think a light 4 cyl stick will suit me. Wish it had a turbo.

29. Volatle

Volatle Well-Known Member

Your requirments wont be met by neither a forester or crosstrek. I've owned a crosstrek, and currently own a forester.

Cross-trek - lacks power, comfort, & hid's.
    Forester - Lacks stick shift & power "If you get a 2.5, I've got the XT which will be stopped in 2018.”

Buy a manual WRX and lift it? Problem solved. The Crosstrek is just a jacked up Impreza.

30. tangledupinblu

That’s what i was saying. Buy an older model Forester and tick 90% of the boxes.

skubi1 likes this.
  31. pillboy

32. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

33. pillboy

It's morning...

34. tangledupinblu

QFT

35. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

I've driven the last gen Wrangler, and it wasn't as rough, noisy, or as uncomfortable as I was expecting coming into it. It was a hard top model, so it wasn't super noisy or anything. It was a little truck like due to the suspension design, but it wasn't weird or unruly and plenty nice to cruise around in. The new gen is supposed to be quite a bit better too, although I've yet to drive one. However, if you want to not feel like you're driving a truck or SUV, the Cherokee is very nice. It's good enough in this sense that you just feel like you're driving around in a big sedan. The non-trailhawk version really just feels like a car. It's probably one of the better non SUV feeling SUVs out there, and there is good reason why you seen a ton of them on the road.

36. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

SRT 8 Grand Cherokee or Trackhawk. 478 or 707 hp. Go big or go home.