Forester ?s for everyone

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Jayk, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Jayk

Jayk New Member

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm not finding anything by searching the forum (point me in the right direction if you have some links, please). Whats everyone's opinion on the best year for Forester?

I'm looking for a rock solid car, N/A preferably, just need a commuter for now and plan on camping a fair amount, and auto trans, some power would be nice but turbo is unnecessary for what I need and can afford. Price range is under 8k.

I bought an impreza 2.5 early last year (I have a couple posts on the bs I've gone through with it), and I want to move on to something else. Any advice on a good Forester year, years to avoid (and why), time of year to buy, or any other really good awd commuter appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Went on a trip to Chicago in a borrowed 16(?) Forester. I hated it but it was fun doing "jeep things" with it. It was obviously more comfortable to drive than my wrx at the time. The vehicle seemed big and a bit under powered for my liking but it did fit all of the luggage I needed to bring. It would have been big enough to sleep in the back had I not had 3 people with.

In contrast, I also drove a 17(?) crosstrek for a while and I must say it is a way more interesting car than the Forester. The interior felt nicer, just as spacious upnfront but didn't feel huge like the tank ( I mean Forester). Although, I did try to sleep in the back of the trek and you definitely notice the shorter wheelbase .. I'm only 5'8'' and two people laying in the back was a little uncomfortable. Basically, my feet touched the hatch and head hit the seat.

My sti is too short too sleep in for camping. I might buy/build a roof rack tent like I saw someone had at the lax cruise.. That might be a decent alternative for the trek or forester.

Anywho, the trek didn't feel as underpowered, probably due to its smaller size. It also looks better in my opinion, but it lacks the length to make it an ultimate camp vehicle (or maybe I just did it wrong).

All things aside, all cars have problems and some are less impactful than others. I didn't read your posts about the impreza yet but I think it might fall under that category.

Personally if I had the money and a choice for an n/a subaru, I'd go crosstrek. I don't hear many people complain about them, but maybe it's too early..

3. Jayk

Jayk New Member

I suppose I forgot a price range, shooting for pretty cheap. I do like the Crosstrek a lot but its out of my range for a couple years. I'm thinking about 7/8k max, so I've been researching pre 2010 foresters to get a feel, looks like 08 is in the lead personally.

And camping wise I mostly meant to store luggage and stuff I bring. Probably do tent camping, but I didn't think about sleeping in the car at all so thanks @Mnelson for the info, I'll definitely keep that in mind if I get around to heading out west like I want to in the next few years.