Front License Plate

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by zapman, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has or is drving around in mn without a front license plate. I really want to take mine off but how strict are they about it?

2. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

You'll get a ticket when a cop decides he/she has nothing better to do...

I got one on my windshield when I was at work in St. Paul, and my car was parked on the side of the road.

3. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Be sure your license plate light is working also;)

4. BigFnE

BigFnE New Member

I lasted for about a month b4 I got a ticket

5. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

If you lived south and middle metro they will get you ticket for it. I don't know about the other area. But my friend has his front license plate front windshild on the passenger side, he got a warning for it. Be careful it is stric in certain area.

6. PHATsuby

PHATsuby Well-Known Member

i dont have one but i have gotten a ticket, actually many, it sucks if you park publically cause it turns a 15 dollar ticket into a 90 dollar ticket, its the price to pay to look good i guess, lol.

i may put mine back on just to avoid getting a ticket cause i cant afford it now. :(

Ben

7. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Zapman, the state of MN requires that you have a front license plate no matter what. We've all at one time tried to eliminate the front plate but it doesn't work. Once you get ticketed, the plate goes back on.

8. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

MN sucks..... What is the point of requiring a front plate anyways, like you can actually read the number as somebody drives by coming towards you. Our cars look som much better without it on. Since i go to college in ND maybe i'll just take it off while i'm up here and put it back on when i go home :D

9. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Well, the point of one, I'M GUESSING is because when cops zap you they need something for it to reflect off of. Since all headlights arent clean...

10. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

Is there anyother state that require both? I know ND doesn't.

11. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

There aren't many other states that require a front plate. There was a petition floating around the board, probably could be found with a search, that was written up to get rid of the front license plate. Most likely our lovely polititians shoved it to the side while deciding about more important stuff, like whether or not to have a shot of whiskey or a light beer.

12. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid New Member

California and Arizona require it.

13. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I havent had one on my cars in 5 years. I've gotten many warnings but only one ticket. I got that dismissed after a few hours in line at the courthouse.

14. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gspot

I havent had one on my cars in 5 years. I've gotten many warnings but only one ticket. I got that dismissed after a few hours in line at the courthouse.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What did you do to get off?

I love how our politicians never get anythign ****ing acomplished. when they want to get something done they just fight over abortion and gay marriages. I guess having a balanced budget or funding for schools isn't important for them :(

15. capone

capone Guest

I put my plate on this car. On my past car I didn't run a front plate and got about 5 tickets. Went and talked to a hearing officer 4 times and then got them taken off. The 5th one I forgot about and just had to pay the other day else they would have suspended my license. I just dont want to deal with the hassle so I have mine on.

16. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

I think i'm gonna take mine off for the 8 month of the year i don't live in MN. I'll just put it back on for the summer and christmas.

17. Gspot

Gspot New Member

just went to the hearing officer and told him my excuse
    Take your pick:
    Didnt know it was required
    Previous owner didnt have it mounted
    The brackets arent installed
    Got damaged in an accident
    then finish with
    "but I have it on now."

18. subi_2.5rs

subi_2.5rs New Member

down here you can have it on the window I THINK

19. morganm

morganm New Member

I found out the hard way it is illegal in MN to drive with out a front license plate. Leave it on unless you like giving cops more items to add to a ticket.

It's by state however so a lot of people say 'oh well you dont need a front one'. In MN you do! :p

20. Grimm

Grimm New Member

I have been pushing my luck with the NSX. It has been almost 2 months without one. I have it in thr trunk so I can say something to the effect... I lost the bolt... I have had cops look right at the front of my car and do nothing though.... I got a psudo warning in Duluth, no paper warning, but I let the cop really check out the car, and he didn't give me a ticket.

21. jeff

jeff New Member

Just don't come out to the Maple Grove area when the 3rd shift cops are on duty. They don't have nothing better to do than give tickets out for no front plate or tinted windows that are darker than 50%. You can guess how I know this.

22. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

23. cannonfodder

cannonfodder Guest

there are more states than you think that do require front license plates. there are only a handful that do not. but the statement was true about the front plate, since when the po po tag you, they do aim for the front plate. and if you have a penchant for getting harrassed by the police, then don't put one on. i don't think that the .01 drag makes that much of a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.