FS: 2013 blurple sti hatch (limited) $23k obo

Discussion in 'FS: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats' started by Mnelson, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

This really pains me to post but I feel I must. Many of you already know why but I want to put out a feeler out for my 2013 sti blurple hatch. I don't have a real price set yet so shoot me offers or suggestions via pm. To prevent the mods from locking the thread, I'll start at $30,000 obo for absolutely everything included. I'd say infinity because of derps signature but we all know that won't fly.

Quick overview:

$25,000 obo
    2013 sti limited hatch in plasma blue pearl (aka blurple)
    51k on chassis. 10k on engine.

TL;DR: selling because I live too close to work. (no, really)

Mods:
    Act hhsd street clutch
    Act streetlite 15lb flywheel
    ID1000 + cobb E85 flex fuel sensor kit
    Aem 320lph E85 pump
    Iag aos
    Aluminati tgv deletes
    Invidia catless down pipe, 3in
    Spt cat back exhaust, 3in
    Accessport v3
    License plate relocator
    "Hello my name is derp" +10 hp.
    Stock intake (also comes with a k&n typhoon intake, just not installed)

Engine: Real st performance built open deck short block
    - Forged wiseco pistons (stock compression)
    - Forged manly connecting rods
    - nitrated sti crank
    - arp head studs
    - 10k on shortblock which originally dynod 400-450 wheel before pulled from the first owners car.
    When I acquired the block I...
    - upgraded oil pump
    - Sent the heads/cam out to lloyds for resurface and inspection.
    - Installed new avcs exhaust cam gears
    - New timing belt kit and seals where applicable.
    - I verified the parts but most of the info on it was provided by the original owner.

Pros:
    - Blurple. Hatch. Sti.
    - heated seats.
    - Comes with evey stock part I have, including the original block
    - Also comes with killer B pickup that I ended up not installing
    - 3 sets of wheels if you want them. (summer, all seasons, and winters)
    - Extra tmps sensors for the winters (not installed)
    - Turbo upgrade ready! I did all of the supporting mods so you don't have to! :p
    - Car will be detailed by a professional prior to sale.
    - 26-31 mpg on e20!! (seriously)
    - New clutch feels amazing!
    - Decent body that still has all of the badges, no major damage besides front bumper.

Cons:
    - Front bumper needs to be replaced. The clear started peeling a few months after I bought the car, and has only gotten worse. There is also significant crack in the lip from when a semi dropped a chunk of ice on the freeway.
    - Obviously the engine was replaced which could be a con to some people.
    - Daily cars get daily bumps and bruises. Some paint chips in the hood but pretty clean otherwise. Has some minor orange peel though.
    - Clutch is still wearing in, so it may shudder a little. I don't have an issue unless Im over 1.5k rpm in first or reverse.
    - During disassembling, either myself (most likely) or my assistant (at the advise of me so still my fault) jacked the trans too high and punctured a few wires on the transmission. I pulled all of the wires off an recrimped and heat shrunk them.
    - Subaru also sold me the wrong transmission bolt (too long) so one of the 6 isn't installed. I'll work on getting that one in when I can.

Comes with:
    Stock: TGVs, cat back, downpipe, injectors, brackets, original shortblock, old clutch and flywheel, extra oil pump, and all of the odds and ends.
    Aftermarket: K&n typhoon intake, killer b oil pickup
    Other: 3 sets of wheels/tires. set of winters, all seasons, and summers.

Other things:
    Clean title in hand under my name. The car is financed and has a linen, however I work at the business which provided the loan. I might be able to make the process easier and faster if you are looking to finance the car.

Street tuned myself with cobb access tuner. Purchasing this car will give you the option to tune it yourself and use me as a source of knowledge if you so desire. I love teaching what I know and had to learn a lot to figure out e85. The tune is plenty safe, since I ran it for almost a full year on e85 without a problem. If this isn't your cup of tea, I would suggest running the car to JM for a devin tune.

It's worth noting: the current map is 91 non oxy safe because of how I leveraged the flex sensor. I started with mapping the timing on non-oxy for the 0% ethanol map on the street then moving to e85. I spent a lot of time tweaking the ethanol blend maps between 0%-30% ethanol by switching back to 93 @ 10% ethanol. This resulted in little to no knock (depending on driving habits) and amazing mpg in the 20-30% range. I estimate that I got 30 Mpg driving to Blaine and back which included me idling in the car wash. From what I've read, a lot of tuners flatten the blend map between 0-10% and call it a day, because it isn't worth the time to monkey with. I got nitpicky and it paid off in my opinion.

I'm pretty particular with my cars. So much so that I went as far as paint sealing/waxing the door jam to prevent early onset door jam rust. Whether that helps or not is a discussion for another day.

STORY TIME!

Under no circumstance do I actually WANT to sell this car. However I'm posting this because I live too close to my job to drive it daily. I found this out the hard way and paid for it dearly.

Mid April, the connecting rod bearing spun on cylinder 3. The smoking gun was the massive amount of moisture that had built up in the crank case breather. The breathers collected moisture due to my grany driving 6 miles to work every day this winter. Keep in mind, the crank case breather is right on top of cylinder 3. The short trips wouldnt keep the engine bay hot enough for long enough to evaporate the water in the breather lines. I believe the e70 I ran this winter also contributed to the excessive moisture. I haven't checked the ring gap or pistons yet but there was a good amount of blowby which definitely didn't help.

The rebuild was about $4500 and I know you never get what you put in but it's worth mentioning. All of the components were replaced with new, subaru genuine parts where applicable. I wanted to make sure it was done right and I didn't skimp out on something dumb.

I want to buy a daily to proactively keep this from happening, however I can't do that and remodel my house at the same time. I think the alternative option is to sell the old mustang which honestly would be more difficult to do.

I mentioned it above but I rebuilt the car with a sb that has forged internals and arp studs, as it was the next logical step in making more reliable power. That makes this is the perfect car for a mechanically inclined individual who wants to learn how to tune on the subaru platform. It will also come with the original short block if someone wanted to rebuild it and return it to stock. Thats my long term plan if the car doesn't sell, but I don't have the budget to worry about that right now.

Because it's getting warmer, I'll have alternative methods of commuting so the milage may not go up that quick. For the days that I am driving the car, I have been getting up an hour early and driving the "super long way to work", so the engine has plenty of time to boil that moisture out. I'm not a morning person so I don't know how long I could keep this up.

Since I've rebuilt the motor, I've already added 300 miles on the car. This is largly so I could break the clutch in but also to verify it's running well. At mile 500, I plan to change the oil and send a sample out for analysis. I'm pretty damn happy with the results so far, which makes this post even harder to write.

If you made it this far in the post, thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
    GrawvyRobber likes this.
  2. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I'm sorry :(

3. Mnelson

Here's some basic photos. 20180430_100745.jpg Snapchat-1874739177.jpg Snapchat-3365132.jpg 20180430_105619.png

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

This makes me sad :(.

She's beautiful, and if I was in the place to get yet another Subaru, I'd consider it. GLWS!

Mnelson likes this.
  5. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Well **** :( here I was just talking about how most people who go to our monthly meetings no longer own Subarus except for a couple, one of which is you!

Good luck with the sale!

6. Mnelson

Oh yeah, like how @readymix didn't knock on wood at MOA? You both speak and the truth follows. Haha

Honestly though, this was in the works since the day I got the house. Like an old dog that crapped in the house.

I might still get a daily subaru, just something a little more resilient to short trips. Nothing worthy of car meats but still.

Aegis likes this.
  7. Mnelson

I forgot to mention...

While the motor was out I cleaned all of the parts before they went back on. All of the crank pressure hoses got cleaned inside and out, as well as the aos.

Also, the turbo had zero shaft play. I also bought new filtered oil line banjo bolts while it was apart.

And to reiterate the blowby statement, there wasn't any oil on the inlet side of the turbo. The large amount of moisture in the aos and breather ports. My assumption to this was that the aos was working in the sense that oil and water wasn't getting into the intake, but it was a contribution to it returning to the block.

Check my modification and maintenence thread about the rebuild if you want more info. I ended up documenting most of what I did in there.

8. derp

derp Well-Known Member

:confused:

GrumbleRumble likes this.
  9. Mnelson

Bump for more seriousness. PFA. Starting to have too much month at the end of my monies.

I was thinking $27,000 obo is a better starting price. Let me know if thats off this planet, whether your'e interested or not... It would help me out a ton.

17218338_984073885060331_198571367926882153_o.jpg

10. Mnelson

Update: Did a compression & leak down test last night... Results on a cold block.
    Cyl 1: 145
    Cyl 2: 140-142
    Cyl 3: 145
    Cyl 4: 135-138

All cylinders had < 5% leak. (The PSI matched on both the input and cylinder pressure gauges)

Accuracy may be a tiny bit off because my air compressor is leaking at the tank but the results were the same as when I capped the end of the tester, so my assumption is that the results are accurate. I tested leak at both TDC and BDC.

11. Mnelson

Decided to price drop to something more realistic.
    Keep in mind, my plans are to return the car back to stock if im not getting offers. If it doesn't sell by winter, Ill rebuild the original stock block.

Mods, if you'd like, the title could change from GI/FS to just FS.

FB price 26,500
    MN Subaru price $25,000 obo.

readymix and Aegis like this.
  12. Mnelson

1000 mile Bump. Still available.

I got the first oil change analysis back last week. Build metals (like aluminum) was elevated but expected for a rebuild. No silver, which is great. I ordered an oil temp gauge that will go in on the next oil change.

Finally put the fun tune back on and holy **** does the car pull. There's a few more adjustments I still need to make, like the fuel calculation was pretty far off. I wouldn't mind having a well known member take the car for a spin and let me know if I forgot anything.

The clutch feels solid now. Doesn't shutter as much, but still can over 1500 rpm from a dead stop. Other than that the car has been fantastic which is why I hate it more than ever.

jubella2 and Aegis like this.
  13. Mnelson

Another bump. I need to get less lazy and post a Craigslist ad, but all this rain has kept me from riding the bike instead.

14. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Member

Too bad this wasn't around when I was looking in March. GLWS.

Mnelson likes this.
  15. Mnelson

Today I got the analysis back for the second oil change post rebuild. The break in metals had dropped a good amount and there are no traces of coolant or fuel in the sample. The built block still takes some getting use to (little noisy), and the extra miles every morning are adding up on the dash but overall it's still just as fun to drive as ever.

Honestly, this all makes me less interested in selling it but I'm going to keep the post active incase someone's looking.

Anywho, thanks for checking the thread out. :p

tangledupinblu and Aegis like this.
  16. Mnelson

Changing the sale up a bit. $23,500 for just the car and an extra set of wheels + tires.

If someone's interested in the stock parts, we can work something out.

I might try and post it up on Craigslist this week. I'm in the process of finding a daily to replace it because the insurance and loan payments are holding me back from getting my house done..

17. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

If you sell it we can talk on my wagon.

18. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I had good luck selling my ‘11 PBP STi Hatch within a few days on a few various Facebook groups if you have an account. Someone flew to WI from VA for it. Thought I’d mention it!

GLWS!

19. bloobaru

bloobaru New Member

I... I... I need this.

20. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

pretty sure he'll still s...s....s...sell this.

jubella2, bloobaru and tangledupinblu like this.
  21. Mnelson

Still waiting for my detailer to be less busy but it does sound like it will happen soon..

I have it out there including chitown subaru nut haven't really had any bites. However I'm not thr most aggressive sales man.

Absolutely, now that I have a Forester as a daily I'm more inclined to let it go.

22. Mnelson

Bump. Still available.

23. Mnelson

Bump. GF's car is having issues so I'll have to daily this again while she takes my dd, so the miles will creep up.

Can an admin slap $23,000 on the title. Price (OBO) is set for existing/active members, newbies get craigslist tax.

24. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Updated price.

GLWS

25. Mnelson

Mods can close/delete the thread. The people I have had interested in it have wasted too much of my time. And honestly, I would rather keep it and find another way to fund the house. Maybe I'll sell some drugs or something.

tangledupinblu and derp like this.
  26. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

There's always University Ave...... :D

27. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yup. Selling your ass on University Ave is a time-honored MNSubaru tradition.

tangledupinblu, derp and Mnelson like this.
  28. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

QFT!

29. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Reopened per OP request.
    Glws

30. Mnelson

I started shopping for wheels and tires for the summer and figured I would bump this thread again.

To recap, I have a set of winter wheels and tires that have one or two more winters left. I have 3 TPMS sets for the car too if that matters to anyone. My summer wheels and tires are junk. Still flex fuel but ran pump all winter.

Car has been driven off and on this winter, and just hit 66,000 miles, still runs great. I have been avoiding short trips whenever it comes out so most of the miles are highway.

Price is still the same, just a little more interested in selling this year so I can get more done on the mustang.

31. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

Dream subaru.... Keep it!!

Wish I had the cash. GLWS

32. LiLBoy

LiLBoy Active Member

Pmed

derp likes this.
  33. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Woo, buy it!

Can confirm this car is really well taken care of. Mike is a good dude.

Aegis and Mnelson like this.
  34. Mnelson

Pending.

JasonoJordan, derp and Aegis like this.
  35. Mnelson

Gone.

36. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

:(

Thread Status: