Fuel Injector not getting voltage

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by OneGlanceMan, Oct 15, 2020.

1. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

Cylinder #3 Fuel injector isn't getting any voltage. Had the plug cut off, exposed new wires, and tested the wires. Still not getting any voltage. Any idea what's the cause of this?

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Wire break down the harness possibly

3. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

There's somewhat a voltage, but not a stable steady number voltage. Pulled out the wire harness and checked the wires thoroughly. Nothing wrong. Ecu wire harness to brown plug in engine bay also checks out fine. Wire loop under the driver front fender checks out fine too. Possibly the ECU?

4. euro

euro Well-Known Member

What do you mean by somewhat stable voltage?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Generally, all the injectors get power from the same source, so it is mostly likely a wiring break.

Can't really give any more information without knowing the situation. Year, Make (Subaru?), Model, Engine, Maintenance/modification history?

6. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

All my other injectors voltage were getting a reading of 2.0 and was staying on that number on a multimeter. Injector #3 volt number was jumping around not staying at a number between 0.7 to 1.6 on the multimeter using 200m. That's what I meant.

7. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Engine: JDM EJ206
    Modifications: 565cc Pink Fuel Injectors, downpipe, exhaust, steamspeed ebcs, aps 65mm air intake w/ k&n air intake filter.
    Yes, I am I running a base map for this setup and waiting to get tuned.
    No pulse on fuel injector #3 at all including when I rev. Gonna be replacing the ecu to see what'll happen.

Chux likes this.
  8. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Still sounds like a potential broken or weakened wire. Ecu maybe but i would expect it to be all or nothing if it was an ecu.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks

2.0...Volts?

The power side of all 4 injectors comes right from the main relay. Should get basically battery voltage (some drop for the wiring, but minimal). Same leg of the main relay that supplies power to the MAF, wastegate solenoid, idle solenoid, and purge solenoid. ECU has nothing to do with it, beyond activating the relay.

joebush44 likes this.
  10. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

So after doing a little bit more digging, I found that its not the ecu because I replaced it with a spare one. The positive wire (red wire) is getting good voltage and the noid light lights up when I used a different grounding (intake manifold), but when I use the negative wire (white wire) I get nothing and no light on the noid light.

Attached Files:

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

If the noid light doesn't flash when running/cranking. And you've got 12v going to it. You have a break in the wire between the injector and ECU. There are 2 connectors between there, so I'd Ohm each section and see where the break is (and, of course, inspect those connectors).

12. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

Forgot to reply a few days ago. I found the problem/issue. Previous owner actually had broke the wires, soldered the wires together, and used a heat shrink tube. I did test it for continuity and it was staying at I. It was located near the ECU. I've been quite busy the past few days after I found the problem, so I hadn't have time to fix it yet. I'll let you know if everything works after I fix it!

13. OneGlanceMan

OneGlanceMan Member

Got it fixed yesterday. I got the wires crimped, used heat shrink tube, and taped it up with electrical tape (Scotch Super 33+). It was weird and a wtf thing on how I got it to work. Wires wouldn't work until I used a 18g wire between the exposed wires.

tangledupinblu and Chux like this.