Fun Twisty Roads

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jubella2, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

I started watching some videos from deal's gap better known as the tail of the dragon. I want to drive it so bad but dont want to take the trip. Where are some awesome roads in Minnesota with a lot of twisties?

2. 99legacy

99legacy New Member

any where in the lake minnetonka area, excelcior, mound, etc.
    101 between chan and shakopee isnt bad (if you dont get anyone infront of you that follows the speed limit)

dont know of any faster roads then those....

3. Tcat55371

Tcat55371 Well-Known Member

Hmmm

You are better off going across the border into Wisc and run along the river from 94 to Prescott but watch for motorcycles.

4. MPLSREX

MPLSREX Well-Known Member

up north past Duluth along Superior

I saw that episode of SuperBikes and that road looks crazy fun!

5. Macx

Macx New Member

It is crazy fun. I was at the gap on bikes a weekend that Scoobies were there . . . that is what got me into Scoobies. 129 is insane. Traffic both ways flat out, singles lanes, no dotted lines, polite people pull to the right for you but C5 corvettes need to be passed on the right inside a corner, a person died there each weekend for two weekends preceding my last visit. Every one should go there at least once. Time your trip for mid week or you'll piss the bikers off (yeah, you are slow enough to piss them off & I can say that no matter how fast you think you are). You won't piss people off mid week because they will pass you like you aren't even there,, weekends are too busy for brakeless passing. If you screw up, it will hurt, probably total your car. I have been there a bit on bikes, never a car, but I have to admit the WRX's at night came closer to running with me than anything on four wheels I have ever seen.

6. krees23

krees23 Well-Known Member

Good road - alot of bikers go on it because of the twists is Hwy 37 going southwest from Maple Lake to where it intersects with Hwy 24

Another good road is Hwy 22 from Hwy 23 (starts in Rockville ) to Hwy 55 (ends in Eden Valley)

7. austinpike

austinpike Well-Known Member

Even on a mid-week day at Deal's Gap it only takes one slow tourist-type to bog down the whole thing. I was pretty shocked at how raw it is given its popularity. I guess that is part of what draws people to it. I wouldn't necessarily make a trip down there just for that, but if you are in the neighborhood...

Try the Black Hills for something a little closer. Lots of great roads there.

8. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

riverview from old shock to homeward hills & 101 are my fav's

9. carl

carl Well-Known Member

there's a really really short stretch right by wazyata hs - it's only like 4 or 5 corners but that's where i test all my suspension changes

10. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

bear lake road from hutchinson to cokato is pretty fun and rarely has much traffic, to bad its only about 10 miles long.

11. krees23

krees23 Well-Known Member

That's pretty close to where I lilve, I'll need to give that one a try.

12. Chuanpreza

Chuanpreza New Member

I have gone on some amazing drives at the iowa/wisconsin/minnesota boarder with the saab club. awsome back roads there. stressing great curves.

13. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Some killer gravel roads down in that area too.

14. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

I could tell ya, but I'd have to kill ya, there are quite a few very good roads out there, try highway 60 out of wabasha between wabasha and Zumbro falls, good pavement, fun at semi legal speeds. Explore a little there are a ton of good roads in the area (some mn, some in wi), most don't see any traffic. Actually some of the best were drit roads.

15. Chuanpreza

Chuanpreza New Member

What we did was 2x whatever the yellow sign for the curve said. <35> we did 70. The only one where I thought id die from was the <10> that had a large vehicle coming the other way and they really meant 10. ABS kicked in and wasnt helping so i had to gas it and slide around it, and i think that was the event that eventualy led to my replacing my rotors.

16. dfish

dfish New Member

129 is sooo much fun, i flew down to atlanta to pic up my gc8 and drove it on the way back, 129, the chatanoga hwy(sp?) and some other nice road back i drove 21 hrs straight but well worth it!!!

the only thing that sucks is when a slow ass tourist is driving and won't get out of the way, they're so damn iggnorant. i finnaly just layed on my horn for a couple minnuites but had to pass on a straight away

i can't find many good roads here....

17. hofit

hofit Well-Known Member

Grey Cloud Island. Got to watch out for other traffic though. It can be dangerous. I don't drive it anymore after kids.

18. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Welch Village Road in Welch is my favorite...beautiful scenery since it's down by Red Wing, good curves and elevation changes and if you go off it's going to hurt. A lot.

19. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Oh, and if you're going out of state, I highly recommend the road between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. Another good one is I-90 going into Seattle through Snoqualmie Pass. That's probably the best as far as scenery goes, but Lake Tahoe is pretty damned nice too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.