Gas $ Etc.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by BoBo82, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

I don't know about everyone else on here...but I am having a tough time with the cost of the STi... I saw it coming with gas prices, but the price of everything else seems to be rising as well.

I'm thinking if it goes upwards of 4.00 a gallon...that might be the breaking point for me. Between 4 and 4.50 I suppose. Anyone else have a limit in mind before they give up the pleasure ride...?

Just seeing what other people are thinking about the current situation and how you are dealing with it.

2. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

Also, it is my only car, and I am single...25. I know some people have it as a second car, or whatever.

3. carl

carl Well-Known Member

I just try not to drive very much

4. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

I have a motorcycle, plan on getting my license this summer and driving it to work when I can.
    I just had to fill up my wrx, so I only put in $15 worth instead of filling it all the way, I don't know how long that will last, but it might be a good habit to get into.

5. gran0393

gran0393 Well-Known Member

i'm looking at getting a bike for the summer

6. devildevil

devildevil Well-Known Member

tune it to e85 and save yourself 80 cents a gallon!!! 80 cents x 15 gallons = $12 per tank saved and it comes out as "higher octane". im already paying $4.09 for diesel in my 1 ton, i'd take an sti gas mileage over that anyday, unless i have to tow.

7. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

^iirc from one of the tuning guys on here, you will use more gas with the e-85, so it evens out with regular gas prices.

8. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

Yes, the poor mpg of E85 is well known. Figure on 30% worse mpg, or 70% of what you get now. It does depend on the vehicle, though.

9. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

With $4 per gallon approaching, I'm looking at getting a daily driver (A civic most likely). Prices don't got anywhere to go but up :(

10. HoLsTeR

HoLsTeR Well-Known Member

yes.....the gas prices are really putting pressure on my driving fun. i was really hoping that i wouldnt have to but im selling the car this summer maybe. im gonna to a full tuneup for it and then sell it. i just cant afford to fill er up if the prices go as high as expected. im looking at getting an old honda civic and a moped....not even kidding. serious business.

about E85.

with a food crisis in the midst we shouldnt be using a very usefull food for fuel

11. AspitFire

i would buy a el cheapo crx with power nothing or a geo metro, nothing beats 40+ miles per gallon on 20 year old technology

12. carl

carl Well-Known Member

ban :mad:

13. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I'm doing the opposite... Selling the 89 civic beater and gonna run race gas daily in the STI if regular gas gets up to 4.50 lol. Luckily I live 7 miles from work and can walk to a free shuttle or ride the huffy.

14. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

Me and my boss were having this discussion a few days ago. The gas prices are getting so high now that its becoming a monthly expense that people have to buget for. Which i think sucks big time. I know when i can get my hands on an electric car im going to!!! Im just curious to see when the rest of the U.S is gonna stand up and say that its finally enough. Because you know DAMN well its not getting anymore expensive to make gas the oil companys are just charging us a ton becuase they can! M-F'ers

15. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Yay for short commutes. :)

16. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

wow, yeah...it's getting rough out there. I paid 3.67 for 93 octane today. It has been going up and up. 40 bucks for like 10 somethin gallons is just absurd.

I thought about a moped or something but I live in a loft in st.paul and we don't have garages or underground parking or any of that.

I thought about e85, but last time I brought it up in the forums, more people were steering me against it than towards it.

17. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

I got like a record 19 + mpg this time in the STi...I have been averaging 17.5 to 18.

18. HoLsTeR

as a part of world issues its not the oil companies just jacking up prices. people have that misconception.

when it costs more for them to distribute oil around the world the price goes up. i herd that around 40-60 cents of the price we have right now is a combination of whats going on in southamerica and the middle-east. that makes the supply drop and we have to pay more to make up for the growing demand. also. other things like China and Indias rate of development has led them to needing more and more energy and one of them is fossil fules. they will be adding to the reasons why we are paying so much because supply and demand means everything in the oil business. its not them just trying to get more money. they would have to be smarter than that because they would make their market stressed over their own product. at some point we will have to change to other means of energy and they wouldnt want to speed up that transition by making it harder for everyone to but fuel.

i think E85 is total bs. sure it has amazing performance gains for the price considered but the idea behind its use as fuel isnt a smart move when another serious issue is showing itself. the price of food is usually supposed to infalte by about 2% each year but in 2007 it inflated over 4% which in the big picture is drastic. farmers love the idea of E85 because they get more money but it raised the price for many foods and starves people in the long run. im never ever going to use E85.

sorry for my rant. im just getting sick of gas prices and food prices.

19. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Cannondale FTW! I just need to stop being lazy and start riding my sweet purple bike to work, it's only 2.5 miles.

20. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

marvelous.... exactly

me.. meh.. gotta drive.. I put gas in... just means my mods wait... people complain about this and that but waste money on cigarettes and booze... meh

21. HoLsTeR

the reason why im going to do something to keep my MPG as high as i can. i need a car that gets me really good milage. and i want a moped so i can take advantage of the nearly 100mpg they have. and i wont be out of the tuner world haha i found my next move hahahaha!

the honda ruckus FTMFW! check these out!

and my favorite one!

22. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

For real, get ready to start swiping your CC twice. I saw this coming and got tired of paying for 3 subaru's which costed me at least +$40 each per week. My wife and I put on average +500miles weekly for work and weekend. Monthly cost was in the upward $400. So I sold all my toys, Track-GSR, WRX and STi. I only have the Forester now for the camping trips and went out and bought my wife a new Toyota Prius. The savings I am getting with this new car I can afford to hit more track events, cutting my gas cost in half if not more. The last tank we got 512miles and this current tank we'll surpast that easily. The cost of living has gone up and now we have to start calculating fuel cost into the budget. I wasn't really interested in the Prius at first but after budgeting my expenses month after month it just didnt make sense anymore. The best part about owning a Prius is I get to really work on my driving, seriously.

23. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

FUNNY! I was just looking at the ruckus the other night online. It is one badass looking moped. If only I had a place to store it.

24. HoLsTeR

yeah im for sure getting one in black this summer. such a cool little thing haha

25. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

See, and everyone laughs at the Zuma (scooter). I get about 90MPG, goes 45 and ends up costing me about $4.50 a week to drive to work (at current gas prices). Show me a car that can beat that!

26. Musashi

If anyone is seriously considering a Mopad there is a guy on MNAutox trying to sell it. I can't for see myself on one, I'll get run over. LOL

27. Musashi

I am trying to picture Spidy on a ZUMA cruz'n to work. Wait I've seen that movie; Spiderman! I would have to agree, if I lived closer to work I might be incline to do so as well. :cool:

28. HoLsTeR

naw i cant see myself on any other one than the factory "murdered out" rucus. they look cool cuz its almost just a frame .

29. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

cept it's a 50cc 4-stroke. No powa...

30. AspitFire

damn didnt know those ruckus' got that good of fuel economy, and damn they are cheap new

31. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

yeah 91 mpg on a 1.3 gallon tank. it lets you know when there is .3 gallons left. I think it is like 3 or 4 hp... but for a skinny little dude like me, it might just hop up to 45 mph in about 20 seconds instead of 35 seconds.

32. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

Down with e-85, it's the economic devil! Shame on all who use it, make it, or sell it.

33. HoLsTeR

im only 145-150lbs so it wouldnt have any problem moving me around. they are really affordable. and can do offroading really well too with those big tires and nice suspension. i dont care as long as it can go around 40mph. thats all id need to go on a moped anyways.

34. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

I drive 120 miles per day for work, I usually get around 27 mpg in the RS. I dont even look at what gas costs anymore, I have to fill up no matter what.

35. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

what if you have no money? do you still fill up?

36. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

If I had to pay for my own gas, I'd be screwed. I know this week I put 1600 miles on my work car. I'm averaging 32000 miles per year right now. The WRX only comes out for special occasions, otherwise, it's parked.

37. subynate

subynate Well-Known Member

anybody got a geo for sale? haha im leaning towards something like that for a dd also maybe a bike(moto) would help ease the pain of gas

38. devildevil

devildevil Well-Known Member

a few guys in town run e85 and they have only seen a 2-3 mpg drop thats what made me a supporter. ANYTHING is better than my cost of diesel! $100 on saturday to fill it.

39. subynate

subynate Well-Known Member

get your hoover dam ppg box already so you can fart all over the guy on his high horse:biggrin::biggrin::laugh::yumyum:

40. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Actually pals the refineries profit margins are less. Oil price is based on the dollar, dollar loses value, price per barrel goes up. So far the producers are sucking up the rise in oil prices and not passing directly rising cost of the crude. I noticed the actual total use petrol has gone done this year several percentage points compared to last year, at least in the US. I expect this to continue during the summer driving season. The analysts at work predicted over $4 a gallon for this summer last fall. Looks like they were right. Keep driving the mopeds. Sell me your STi cheap....

41. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

yeah it sucks but there is no way in hell i could ever give up my wrx....i mean i get 25 to 26 mpg on drivin to work all week...thats not to shabby if you ask me...and i have a crotch rocket so you know damn well thats gonna be my dd during summer here

42. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, I plan on driving my WRX more. I am up around the 25-26mpg daily, and over 30 if I cruise the free way. Alot better than the 17-18 I get in my truck.

E-85 is a scam. The only place e85 will work is for cheap race gas, so if you are only seeing a 3-4mpg drop by using e85, you are in the boost, ALOT. Under normal driving, e85 will loose 30%+ in the mpg's. For e85 to be ideal, your CR need to be up in the 14-15:1 area, not 8:1.

Then going out to buy a new car that gets better mileage makes me:laugh:. Seriously?? Figure you drop 4k (or ALOT more) on a car. did you do the math on how many miles worth of gas that is and how but better the new car mileage must be to cover the costs of the car?? If you look long term instead of short term, you will see that you are spending more money (out of pocket money) to buy a new/used car that gets better mileage, then just dumping gas into what you already have.

And a prius, the most un-green car ever made. Ya, it might get good mileage, but the battery pack has crossed the ocean 3 times before it even gets put into the car, then 1 more time after that. That thing is in the top 5 most un-green cars to manufacture list. Then, once the battery dies, it will cost 6-7K (so I have heard) and then how do you dispose of it?

Russ

43. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

i ride my motorcycle, a 50 (even when i'm RAILING on it) MPG 10 second daily driver, its win win. that and my subaru somehow gets around 28 MPG when i'm taking it easy, and i run regular most of the weekdays.

44. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

everyone should get a motorcycle and we should all ride to FS one day! me want 08 ninja 250!

45. trek44

trek44 Active Member

i have been driving my sti a little less aggressively and now get 21-22 mpg. i keep a honda fit for my commute in traffic yesterdays fillup was at an average of 36.2 mpg it being a light car makes a big difference

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.