Getting Cold! STi Intercooler Water? Tires?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by SUV-ETR, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUV-ETR

SUV-ETR New Member

We just moved back to MN after being in FL for five years. It's getting pretty cold tonite, and it made me think about what I should do about the STi's intercooler sprayer. The manual says "water ONLY"...but that would freeze and potentially break the pump and lines.

Is there a "standard" practice? Has anyone heard any recommendations from SOA or the dealers around here? I'm thinking windshield washer fluid might be OK, but thought I'd ask here first...

Also, what tires do you guys recommend? 070's or my current Kumho MXs probably aren't the best idea for snow. :)

Neal

2. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Do you have a dedicated set of wheels for snow tires?
    Anything Nokian!

3. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Get Blizzaks for snow tires. :D
    Yes, water would freeze up and probably expand enough to crack the tank and most of the lines. I don't know about the STi's system but a few people I know run windshield washer fluid (not in STi, homemade systems)... Not only would it not crack it, but since it's half water and half methyl alcohol it should evaporate quicker on your intercooler and mathematically take out more heat.

4. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SUV-ETR

We just moved back to MN after being in FL for five years. It's getting pretty cold tonite, and it made me think about what I should do about the STi's intercooler sprayer. The manual says "water ONLY"...but that would freeze and potentially break the pump and lines.

Is there a "standard" practice? Has anyone heard any recommendations from SOA or the dealers around here? I'm thinking windshield washer fluid might be OK, but thought I'd ask here first...

Also, what tires do you guys recommend? 070's or my current Kumho MXs probably aren't the best idea for snow. :)

Neal
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Welcome back to the cold up north! First, put the Stock and Kumho tires away for the winter and get some dedicated winter tires or better then average winter performance all season tires ;) depending on your driving style. I'm not brand dedicated so I can't give you any suggestion. Second, about your water sprayer... don't empty the bottle either. I was told to leave about 1/4 water through out the winter. The water will freeze but it shouldn't do any damage from what I was told. That's what I did last winter and so far so good. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will point you in the right direction... these are just my opinion and what worked for me.

5. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Snow tires - Nokian

Nokian WR (V rated - 150MPH) for a high performance snow (does good on snow and ice, not near as mushy on dry roads as other snow tires)

Nokian Hakka2 for more snow and ice traction, you give up a little on the dry (T rated - 118MPH)

New Nokian RSi looks interested, no personal experience with it. R rated (106 MPH) It's the replacement for the outgoing hakka q.

6. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Neal, I have been running dedicated snows on the RS and now on the STi, wouldn't do it any other way, especially on the STi. As for brands, I am a Nokian fan, that's all I ran on the RS. I switched to Blizzak LM-22 for the STi due to supply issues on the Hakka2 (was just released at the time), but I am going back. I cannot believe anyone would give the thumbs up on the LM-22 if they have driven on the Hakka (haven't tried the WR). They are targeted as performance winter tires, but they neither well. They remind me of the good ole RE-92s that came stock on the RS. They do everything half-ass. The Blizzaks were marginally better than the Hakkas on dry pavement, but their snow performance was no where near the Hakkas. I definitely feel that the marginal gain in the dry is not worth it on a dedicated snow tire. Anyway, rant off. As for the water spray, leave it half full and call it good. That leaves enough room for expansion in the tank. I believe the lines are flexible enough to accomodate the freezing water they carry. I had no problems last year.

Christian

7. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

Blizzaks are overrated, overmarketed typical Bridgestone garbage tires :-p

I agree the LM22s sucked.. particularly lateral traction in the snow.. Note tire direction of the sipes on the center of the tread, they are facing the wrong direction! If you're wheel is spinning forward a bit, and you're sliding slightly sidways, the sipe no longer opens since it's 90 degrees off of where it should be.. the newer LM25 which replaced the LM22 they fixed that.

The Q rated blizzaks all are great on the ice, for the first half of the tires life at least, then that great ice grip goes bye bye, and the tire sucks at everything, and is dangerous in wet braking situations.... and the tires wear out SO FAST!! That's part of the marketing scheme.. :-p You have to go buy new tires much earlier. (They're cheaper up front, but you spend more over the long term since you buy twice as frequently)

Nokian knows what they're doing, they have a snow tire to fit any need you have. Just like with any tire, there are compromises.. WR is great in dry and snow.. does ok on the ice.. but not as good as the Hakka2 or RSi.. but those do worse in the dry.. You just need to examine what surfaces you typically drive on in the winter, and how you want your car to handle on those surfaces.

I feel like Bridgestone is the GM of tires.. They make a lot of them, market them well, make them crappy, and the people that buy them just don't know any better. :-p ;-) (Some of their high performance summer tires are an exception ;-) )

8. SUV-ETR

SUV-ETR New Member

Thanks for all the feedback! Looks like I'll have to go with one of the two Nokians that seem to get the thumbs up. Now: Where do I get them?

For the intercooler, it sounds like the half-full idea is winning me over, though it does strike me as a surprise that the pump and tubes don't have an issue. The really interesting idea is that it would hopefully blow a fuse if the button gets bumped while the pump is frozen solid!

Thanks again.

9. nickmsn2

nickmsn2 Guest

Empty the tank a bit. Thats the dealers advice, and (I think) the manual's advice to. Mine survived last winter no problems. I dont think your fuse will blow; the pump only runs for about 2 seconds on each press. Just dont reflexively frob the thing at every stop light :)

Jordan: arent the hakka2's studded, and therefore not legal on our roads? Someone clear that up for me.

10. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

I would just drain the water from the tank. That is the way mine spent the winter

11. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Hakka2s were designed for studs, but they are not necessary. The original Hakka1 was designed as a studded tire, but performed superbly without.

Christian

12. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

I think I'm going to have to try out some Nokians this winter.

13. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by nickmsn2

Jordan: arent the hakka2's studded, and therefore not legal on our roads? Someone clear that up for me.
    As mentioned, they're designed with studs in mind, but you can get them without, and they still work great.

But..wouldn't it be cool to have studs? Who's gonna check? ;-)

14. Beej

Beej New Member

Wait..we need snow tires?

My RS is the first AWD car I have owned, and I was under the impression that AWD = Invincibility?

I was planning to run on Hoosier drag slicks. :p

15. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Beej

Wait..we need snow tires?

My RS is the first AWD car I have owned, and I was under the impression that AWD = Invincibility?

I was planning to run on Hoosier drag slicks. :p
    Lol.. even though you're joking.. that's a very common misconception that costs people front bumpers and messed up suspension.. Sure you won't get stuck, but the bad stuff happens when you can stop (or turn) Gotta have grip... gotta have snow tires for the most fun :)

16. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

OK homeez, how about some feedback?

I must replace ye olde RE92 for this winter. This Nokian WR sounds good, but I fear it will be mad expensive. Winter isn't SO bad around here, I do want quality snow traction but most of the time I'll actually be driving on pavement (what with plowing being relatively prompt in these parts). I won't be going anywhere that will require hardcore snow/ice performance.

So should I get a quote on this WR thingy? Golden Valley Tire carries them I see. Or should I look into something else? I did see Vic's tires discussed in another thread.

I nominate Jordan as Lord of the Winter Tire and request his input.

17. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

So should I get a quote on this WR thingy? Golden Valley Tire carries them I see. Or should I look into something else?
    Never hurts to get a quote.. I found that most places overcharge quite a bit for the WRs.. and yes, unfortunately they are pretty expensive, as most good things are. I buy Nokians from Anderson Motorsport in Chanhassen: http://www.andersonmotorsport.com .

You could look at getting an all season that does better than most in the snow... like the contiextremecontact.. but if it's a tire you're just going to run in the winter, I'd get a winter tire. If the WR is too much to bite off, take a look at the Dunlop Wintersport M3, also a good high performance winter tire, at a lower price point.. It won't last as long as the WR, but it's less a hit to the wallet up front.. and it'll still outlast other snow tires by a decent margin.

18. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

19. yosmiley

Alright, I did the home work for you guys. I checked with the MI place that Ms. Price posted above and compare it with Anderson (a local shop in EP) for a set of 225/45/17 Nokain WR V Rated and Anderson still come out on top for the best price.

Anderson's got my business (952) 937-8639 as far as Nokian tire brand.

20. Gspot

Gspot New Member

My mom asked me to get her some new all season tires for her 300M. I'm deciding between Yokohama Avid HS4s and Nokian WRs (depending on price). Are the WRs actually as adequate in the dry as they claim? For a commuting mom I don't think she needs much, but I'd rather not have her going 80mph on floaty "snow" tires.

21. yosmiley

Nokian WR for your mom would be fine... but for you, the WR are less of a dry performer compare to other all season tires.

22. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

WRs are fine at 80 mph.

23. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Vic, what did you get for a price on the WRs?

24. yosmiley

I got'em for $160-170 ea. somewhere around there... I don't have the reciept with me but I'll post the price when I get it out of my car.

25. fuel

fuel New Member

I have Michelin Pilot Alpin and i like them very much.

26. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

i'm on the dunlop w/s m2.
    very very nice tire..
    playes well in the dirt too :)
    i bought them from luke at tire rack on some cheap $145 asa rims.
    luke mounted them for free and threw in a free set of spline lugs and a drive..

for the ic water tank, just leave it at 1/4 to 1/2 full.
    the tank and lines do just fine, and if anything does go....
    it's covered by warranty.

many folks talk about runnin wswiper fluid, but i think it had enough alcahol to harden the lines..

/cheers

27. clhelget

clhelget New Member

Do you guys feel that the Pirelli P Zero Nero's will do the trick year round? I don't even trust the stock Potenza's when it is wet outside in the summer! How will the P Zero's compare to the Stock tires? I need winter tires soon, but don't have the intention of putting the stock tires back on this spring. What is the BEST all-season tire? Or is it still that much better to get dedicated winter and summer tires. Because I really don't want to have to buy both.

28. yosmiley

Depending on your driving style and if you do track your car.

If you don't track your car... get an all around hi-performance season tire.

If you track your car, I recommend two sets... one Summer and one Winter IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.