GI: Who would like to go shooting at Bills/Burnsville Pistol one of these days?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShortytheFirefighter, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Would there be any interest in getting a group of people together to go shooting at one of the above places (I'm also open to other places, those are the first two that come to mind) one of these days? I think it'd be a good way for some of us who own guns to get out and get some paper punching practice in and a good way for some of the members who don't own guns but are curious or want to try shooting in a lower stress environment. There's been some talk in other threads, I'd like to see it become a reality. I think it'd be a good way to spend an afternoon or evening for those of us who enjoy shooting and firearms.

So, who would be interested? I'd like to get something put together in the next month or so, if the turnout/demand is enough we could possibly look at making it a regular/semi-regular event.

UPDATE:

Alright, here is the proposed list for March 15th at Bills in Robbinsdale as of 2/17:
    Readymix
    Aegis
    Dynapar
    Boomer
    Shibbs (time for you to try some pistols ;) )
    Bikerwriter
    Stoooo
    Carl
    Driftin240
    Vorgto
    Ryan
    Subytek
    Speeddemon
    Bielke55
    Me

I will update and edit this as necessary. Handraisers will be forced to hold targets.

2. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

My problem is I am in Wisconsin so only weekends work for me.

In the past, I have gone up with wotboy and others to a place north of Duluth. Private land, a couple cabins, no electricity. Only problem is the cops want us to call first so they know not to come out.

The last time there were so many of us shooting the cops came out, saying they got a call about automatic weapons fire...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. Bonstrosity

Bonstrosity Active Member

I'm in Duluth but come down to the cities often, or if you guys are up this way I've got a couple of pistols and know of public land that no one cares if you shoot on. If I'm down I'll try and shoot someone a message to see if they'd want to go.

4. ShortytheFirefighter

The private land is always an option, I wonder if we could find something a little more central for everyone. It does lend itself to having a little more flexibility as to targets and such (milk jugs explode so very nicely ;) ) but an indoor range can be nice during the winter months. The only drawback to Burnsville is that we can't bring rifles/shotguns or anything with a muzzle velocity above 2000fps, so .17HMR/Mach II rounds are out.

5. bikerwriter

I like being outside to shoot clay pigeons. Oh, and last time somebody brought a car door for us to "test"...

6. ShortytheFirefighter

That could be plenty of fun...wonder if we could get a whole car :laugh:

7. subaru4

subaru4 New Member

+1 I love shooting clay pigeons. If we do end up doing some kind of outside clay pigeon shooting I would probably go and bring my dads 16g and his 2 12g shotguns.

8. ShortytheFirefighter

I haven't done clays in a long time, but I agree that they are fun. So are the big styrofoam gliders, they go to pieces under a good load of birdshot. Are there any good clays ranges around here that are open in the winter?

9. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

I've been here a few times... http://www.horseandhunt.com/portal07/index.html. We have a local IT vendor that takes us once a year, usually in October. I've been to each of the last four. It's well laid out, and loads of fun. I don't know what their winter hours are like, though.

I only have a .22 pistol, and that dates back to the 1920's. I'd be up for an evening out with a group at one of the ranges, especially if some of you have interesting items you'd be willing to share with a relative newbie.

Stuart.

10. ShortytheFirefighter

I'm sure we could all bring out some interesting firepower. I've got my two Kimber 1911s and my Remington 870 (which is a real hoot, btw), and from the looks of earlier in this thread we have some members with some very cool guns that I'd love to shoot.

11. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I would totally be down for this. most evenings or weekends work for me. I would like to see what everyone is shooting.

12. ShortytheFirefighter

Martin, did you ever get your Walther or Springfield?

13. bikerwriter

My grandfather had a Webley that took me a while to figure out. Now I know why those Brits were losing before we entered both world wars.

14. ShortytheFirefighter

I've been doing some checking, I think Tuesday nights at Bills would be out unless we want to take part in Tactical Tuesdays. I think a Saturday or Sunday morning would be best in order to avoid the rush times. How would a Saturday morning around 9am work for people? We could meet up beforehand and do breakfast at Fat Nats in Crystal or somewhere else close and then head over to Bills? Or we could do lunch at the Eagles Nest across the street afterwards.

15. inappropriatescreenname

inappropriatescreenname New Member

i'd be interested, all depending on when. i don't have a gun, but i'd be interested in being a spectator... or taking a few shots if someone was willing to let me try theirs.
    sound like good entertainment

16. ShortytheFirefighter

I think that people would be willing to share their firearm for a newbie. I know I am. The other nice thing about Bills is that they have a huge selection of guns that you can rent if there is one you've always wanted to try, anything from .22LR up to .500AE as well as long guns from .223 to .50cal. If we really wanted to spend some money we could also do a machine gun shoot, but those are pretty expensive.

17. Dynapar

no, not yet. Still want one but have been swamped with tons of stuff. I have to see how much money i have after i get the stuff i need back from the fire.

How much do the charge for a gun rental?

Machine gun shoot = $1..$1..$1..$1..$1..$1..$1..$1..$1..$1..$1..$1..

18. bikerwriter

A weekend would work best for me. Is this a membership range or a pay-to-enter? And if pay-to-enter, how much for a day?

The gun rental would be nice because we could get a chance to shoot a wider variety. It is the best way to evaluate before buying. Do you know what they charge?

19. ShortytheFirefighter

They typically charge around 30 for two people on a lane, and IIRC a gun rental is 10 bucks per gun. I think that we could probably keep the need for rentals to a minimum unless there is something someone wants to rent. We can buy ammo and bring it there, so you can save money that way. I'd be willing to let people shoot my .45 if they're willing to chip in on some ammo (.45ACP can be pretty expensive!), I've got plenty of .22LR and 12 ga shells so I'm not real worried about that. I've got a good source on practice 12 ga ammunition. Targets are 1-2 bucks each, and you can bring your own hearing/eye protection or rent it there for a pretty minimal charge. I think that we could probably divide up into pairs if need be, put an experienced person with a beginner to show them the ropes and how to shoot safely. Takes the pressure off the new shooter if it's someone they know and it makes it a little more enjoyable. If we're mostly experienced shooters there then we can figure out another arrangement.

20. Dynapar

sounds like a plan to me. Count me in!

21. ShortytheFirefighter

One other thought that I had:

If anyone has a spouse that hasn't fired a gun before or has been curious about shooting this would be a great day to bring them out. It is a lot easier to start doing something like this if you're with a group of people that you know and trust, and it makes for a great bonding experience. Plus it can instill some healthy fear if you find out your spouse can outshoot you ;)

22. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Bill's rents MP5s. I'm there.

23. ShortytheFirefighter

24. bikerwriter

Wow. I looked at the website. That place rules!

It says that you need to buy their ammo for the rentals but that there is a discount. There is also a group rate.

Hmmm...

25. ShortytheFirefighter

I've used their rentals before and been able to use ammo i brought. As long as you're using regular practice ammo then you should be alright.

26. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

I am game for Burnsville just about any Tues or Thurs. That is only a few blocks from work for me. Good range.... so is Bill's though.

27. ShortytheFirefighter

The only downside with Burnsville is that we can't use shotguns/rifles and it sounds like we've got a few members who would like to bring those. That and they don't have any guns for rent, so we'd be limited to whatever we bring.

28. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Well I have the two 45s and have been thinking about something a little cheaper to shoot too. Bills is kinda in the wrong direction but I might make a trip up there on a Tues or Thurs. Other days dont work for me.

29. ShortytheFirefighter

Hmmm...Thursday might be worth taking a look at, I just don't know what kind of traffic they have in the evenings, that was why I was thinking a Saturday morning and then we could get in before everyone else.

30. carl

carl Well-Known Member

bill's is very close to my parent's house. i might be down for bill's (we have 2 old .22 rifles but that's about it, my gun experience is very limited)

31. ShortytheFirefighter

I'm not too worried about experience levels, I think we've got enough people with firearm experience that we could help out those who don't know all that much. The major safety rules are pretty straightforward, and guns aren't that complicated to learn. I'm more than willing to teach how to use different firearms and point out control features and give pointers on how to shoot.

For those of you who want to bring out firearms but aren't sure what kind of condition they're in, it might be a good idea to get together and have a bit of a cleaning/inspection party before we go so we can make sure you're bringing a safe gun. I'd hate to see anyone injured by a faulty gun.

32. carl

carl Well-Known Member

i'd be very interested in doing this - our .22's haven't been used in a long time (decades? lol)

33. ShortytheFirefighter

Alright, here is what I propose:

I think the weekend is going to work best for most people for our first outing, how does Saturday, March 1st work for everyone? I propose meeting at Bills at or shortly before 9am, so we can get right into the range when they open up at 9am. We'll shoot until we're out of ammo, targets, etc and then do lunch in the area. The Eagles Nest across the street is a good spot to chill out. I'll bring my .45 and .22 1911's, and my Remington 870. If you're going to come along, let me know and I'll edit the OP to show who is coming. If you could let me know what you're bringing for firearms/ammo that'd be great. If you're not bringing a gun and would like to shoot something that one of us is bringing, please PM the owner and arrange to buy ammo together. Wal-Mart has decent cheap ammo as well as Mills Fleet Farm.

34. carl

carl Well-Known Member

icerace...

35. ShortytheFirefighter

Doh, that's right...

Alright, how does March 8th work for everyone? Same time, same place.

36. carl

carl Well-Known Member

not good for me, I'd be open the following weekend though

37. bikerwriter

What weekend is the autoshow?

38. ShortytheFirefighter

Damn again. It's the 8th.

Alright. We'll try this one more time. The 15th is what we'll aim for then, there isn't anything going on that I can think of.

39. bikerwriter

The autoshow is open both days and for two weekends so I wouldn't worry that much about a conflict.

I'd be more worried about getting a range for a group.

40. mccolley85

mccolley85 Active Member

What about Bills in Circle Pines?

41. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

Weekends will be tough for me but we can always do some of both.

42. Dynapar

The 15th will work out perfect. thats the first day of spring break for the U of M. I am down.

I took a look at the rental list. theres alot of fun stuff on there. I have never seen an FN 5-7 or a P90 before. Those are some strange guns, but would be fun to see. Also a Thompson SMG would be a blast.

43. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Because I've shot an M249 before.

44. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

I was just up at Bills today. My wife and I put 150 rounds through my Colt 1991 and about 250 through the 10/22. 45acp is much cheeper if you reload your own. I have close to 2000 rounds ready to go for the .45. I would be game any time in the evening during the week and most weekends. The 15th would be fine by me but Brian if you want to meet at Bills or Burnsville some time let me know.

45. ShortytheFirefighter

I've been wanting to get into reloading but just haven't done the research yet on how to start. I also don't really have a good place to do it right now, hopefully that'll be changing in the coming months. I will also keep you in mind next time I'm looking for a shooting partner, and I'm willing to pay for ammo/brass/powder :)