Gimmick Motorsports Short Throw Install

Discussion in 'Tech, Tips, Newb Info' started by Jackstand, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jackstand

Jackstand Well-Known Member

So after talking with Josh at ImportImage I decided to pick up a Gimmick Motorsports Short throw shifter. The install to me a little under an hour to finish. I love the way it shifts the pattern is much closer together. This is an all around good product with a very easy install. Now I will go through the entire install. I have attached pictures as well. Sorry I don’t have a ton of pictures my card ran out of space.:mad:

I will be doing the bushings as soon as it is warm outside.

1. First u need to take out the part of your center council that holds your mirror adjustments. This piece is held in by pressure so you need to wedge something under it in order for it to come off. ( Picture 2&3)

2. Next you need to remove the wires that are attached to the mirror adjustment. You do this by pressing the tab in on the passenger side of the car and then pulling down. (Picture 4)

3. Once the mirror adjustment panel is removed you need to remove your shift knob. Then once you have your shift knob removed you need to remove the trim panel and the shift boot. All you need to do is pull up. The panel is just held in by clips.

4. Next you need to remove the bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage. You will need to use a 12mm wrench and socket.

5. Once you are to this point it should look something like (Picture 5)

6. Now this is the part where I had to call Mike Wray. You need to spin the stock shifter 180 degrees so the pivot is facing towards the back of the car. Then hit the shifter with a rubber or plastic mallet until it pops out. (Picture 6)

7. In order to put the new shift leaver in you will need to use a lubricant of some kind. Now adjust the leaver so it is parallel up and down and use your mallet and hit the top of it 2-3 times until it pops into place. (Picture 7)

8. Now re-install all interior trim pieces and electrical plugs and you are done.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

I did one of these recently as well.

It would be helpful to note that between your steps 6 and 7, you need to make sure to remove the round plastic bushing from the stock shifter and install it in the new shifter.

3. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

how much is the shorter is the throw??? pretty quick or kinda like stock?

4. ImportImage

ImportImage Vendor

much better then stock 40% is a large #

5. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

Will this reduce the shaking of the shift knob as well?

6. legendx

legendx Well-Known Member

shaking of the shift knob?

7. ImportImage

ImportImage Vendor

yes, the stiffer bushings in combo with the shifter, ours in the sti do not shake at all.

8. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Very little movement on mine as well, and I don't eve have the underside bushings in.

Just one small note:

Get a man-sized hammer to smack it into the white bushing on the trans. (PIC 7)

More mass is definitely a good tool. I threaded a junk nut (10x1.25 if I remember correctly) so I didn't mess up any threads.

9. Jackstand

Jackstand Well-Known Member

I agree a bigger hammer would have made it easier:biggrin:

10. hella_sti

hella_sti Well-Known Member

Threads on the shift knob are the same as a subaru lug nut, little tid bit of useful info most wouldn't know:biggrin: