Good spots around the Twin Cities to do a Third Gear Pull?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by xtea, Jul 18, 2014.

1. xtea

xtea Member

Anyone recommend any spots to do a third gear pull?

2. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

On a dyno!!!

3. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

35e :coffee:

4. xtea

xtea Member

Besides a Dyno. I'm need to do data logging for an e-tune.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Kneel Weiß, tehfuzz, derp and 5 others like this.
  6. xtea

xtea Member

So... No one knows of any empty quiet straights or tracks that rent out time with in an hour of the cities?

And idget, as a Staff Member I would assume you would be helpful to a new member not Snarky. Kind of thinking this site is full of children.

T_riggidy and blackozone like this.
  7. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Just do it anywhere? Go down a freeway at night? 3rd gear gets you to what 85 mph maybe?

8. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

There are plenty of back roads over the border in wisconson. Just be mindful of others.

9. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

You mean like the ones who are asking for a place to reach extra legal speeds on a public roadway so they can do some datalogging?

Protip: There are public safety employees who are members on this site.

Kneel Weiß, tehfuzz, derp and 4 others like this.
  10. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I would assume that as a Staff Member, he would ban you for explicitly soliciting venues for illegal behavior on our site. You got a humorous map instead. I'd say you came out ahead on that deal.

Edit: Screw you Shorty.

Kneel Weiß, tehfuzz, derp and 4 others like this.
  11. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

[​IMG]

12. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

xtea, thank you for joining the forum. Everyone here has a pretty twisted sense of humor, so a little ribbing is to be expected. However we would ask that you, having just joined today and contributed only 3 posts to the forum in the form of this thread, would respect the existing members and staff. Per the forum rules you agreed to just hours ago:
    Disclaimer:
    The providers ("we", "us", "our") of this website ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content ("Content"). Content posted express the views of their author only.

You agree to not use the Service to post or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws as determined by site staff and administration.

So take a little caution when you start tossing your stones around and just understand that you're working in a gray area with this sort of discussion.

13. xtea

xtea Member

I was hoping for a recommendation to local tracks that rent time that people have used originally. But I know people here are data logging on public roads. And if there is a safe place to get to 85 that someone would recommend that would be helpful. Doesn't need to be grey, doesn't need to be illegal. Just looking for options in the interest of safety.

I feel like I walked into a speakeasy and said where's the Moonshine. And everyone's all, what moonshine?

14. pho_real

pho_real Well-Known Member

Even if you did do a 3rd gear pull up to speed, a cop could still ticket you for excessive (sudden) acceleration.

15. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

That's a good way to look at it, actually.

16. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

More like "I walked into a speakeasy and yelled ,where's the Moonshine, I would like to put up some signs"

Nhibbs likes this.
  17. xtea

xtea Member

I can whisper it instead if that helps. Plus the signs will be really tiny and in russian.

18. SurlyOldManMN

Not a bad idea... A few folks are meeting up at Sears @ 6:30 and "cruising" to Quang if you want to have sweet nothings whispered in your ear. :)

blackozone likes this.
  19. xtea

xtea Member

Quang, as in Eat Street Quang!!! I'd love to. Won't have my car back till next week though. Getting a timing belt plus other things done. Thanks for the invite though! Monocles for all!

20. xtea

xtea Member

I think I'm going to use Idget's map and throw doughnuts out the window.

But seriously no one uses track time to data log? I've gotten a few whispers and it's super helpful! With my luck though I'll get a ticket.

21. SurlyOldManMN

BIR does some test and tune days. Not sure when the next one is.

22. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

The first response you got was a legitimate one. Other than a dyno, take it up to BIR on a Wednesday and do as many pulls as you want. There is no magically safe road to do this on, its all at your own risk. Actually that's not true either, it'd be at the risk of anyone else that happens to be on the road as well.

TMF and Erik like this.
  23. xtea

xtea Member

Thanks for the Tip!

24. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

Going to be a lot cheaper to pay RS motors for 1 hour of dyno time to do 20-30 3rd gear pulls. BIR is 2 hours away from Minneapolis and Rockfalls is at least 1.5 hours. You can also ask the tuner Ron any questions you may have while there doing your pulls.

If you insist on doing in in public, I'd say any major highway after 2-3am would be just fine. You could get some walkie talkies and have a car in front check for the 5-0 for you.

buuuuuut again easier/cheaper/smarter/safer to just go down to RS in Burnsville and hop in the dyno

FuJi K likes this.
  25. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Also unless you have a wideband O2 sensor that you will be logging an E tune will not be great...
    If you want an affordable road tune instead of paying for a dyno just hit up NF. It'll honestly probably be cheaper than whoever is doing an E tune for you anyway and will be much better.

In summary: go to RS or NF.
    You could have probably learned all this by searching on here anyway...but noobs gunna noob.

26. xtea

xtea Member

I've already purchased a laptop and tactrix cable for the e-tune. I was originally referred to nuke, but he didn't answer my email. Over on the outback forums I've been heavily referred to Ed at XRT for an etune. He's supposed to be the best there is. I'm not sure who NF is.

I've heard doing a road tune is more accurate for driving conditions then a dyno. Now I feel like I'm being referred in circles.

27. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Nuke is the N in NF. They do road tunes. Do you have a wideband? The stock O2 sensor is worse than useless for logging and tuning.
    Dynos are great tuning tools and allows the tuner to dial things in much easier because you aren't flying around on the street. Even eddy brake dynos won't replicate exact road conditions like a road tune but that doesn't necessarily mean road tunes are better or safer, it just means dynos don't give you absolutre real power levels as everyone knows. Their sole purpose is really for tuning.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  28. xtea

xtea Member

I do not have

29. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

30. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

Also Ron at RS motors can tune you for another option, both guys are local and can answer any questions and help troubleshoot if you need it while tuning. I would be extremely!!!! Sketched about an etune. Soooo many variables, sounds like a loonnngggg headache filled process.

Nhibbs likes this.
  31. JasonoJordan

Being I have done the etune road tune route I'll toss in my .02 unless you understand the software and what you need to monitor closely and why very well then I would reccomend nf or Ron. I had a buddy of mine do etunes on my 02 wrx and even with a wideband can be difficult to dial in. I'd reckon that i nearly 100 maps of changes modifications and tweaks to my tune over the years of owning my 02 wrx and its upgrade proccess.

32. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

Neighborhoods are pretty good for 3rd gear pulls.

drac77 likes this.
  33. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Not in my neighborhood!

tehfuzz and xodad2 like this.
  34. xtea

xtea Member

I was going to go near elementary schools, but then I thought the speed bumps were not a good idea.

35. Shabbaru

Shabbaru Active Member

The speed bumps offer a unique tuning experience

drac77 and tangledupinblu like this.
  36. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Unique speed bumps are school children

37. derp

derp Well-Known Member

this thread is going exactly as I expected it would.

Continue.

38. freeze2104

freeze2104 Well-Known Member

If you get the "danger to manifold" warning.. You're pushing it too hard.

xodad2 likes this.
  39. JasonoJordan

Is that before or after the floor plate falls down?

freeze2104 likes this.
  40. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Hwy 100 or 169 during rush hour. Best way to test those brakes as well. Just kidding, There is no "Good spot", you just take a chance wherever you choose to do it, but a Dyno is where I would do it. Its the smartest and safest way to do it.

tehfuzz likes this.
  41. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

My WRX got closer to 95/100mph in 3rd. And that was stock when i bought it.

Long gears are looooooooong!!!

Nhibbs and Scott like this.
  42. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

There is a straight shot road that runs East-West, South of Inver Grove Heights just South of the refinery that is on the West side of Hwy 52. Confused yet? It's basically in between Hwy 52 and and Cty Rd 71. It's a little rough, but it's the road I use to bed my brake pads. I'm pretty sure you could get through 3rd gear on the stretch and still have ample time to stop. I've yet to see a car on it and I've probably spent 2 hours accumativly on this road in the past couple years. By no means am I saying this is completely safe, but it is MORE safe then a lot of places. I'm looking on Google maps and it is 140th St E. Now.. if you smoke a deer going 90 mph don't blame me, thats just bad luck.

43. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

No one on this site has ever done road pulls. We are all 100% law abiding citizens who never, ever speed or do any form of driving that would be described by law enforcement as "exhibition" or "reckless" driving. None of us would ever partake in such vile acts of motorized mayhem. Shun. Shhhhuuuuunnnn!

Frankly, a lot of use do it, some a lot. If you want data, you get data. Dynos are expensive. Track days are expensive. Availability is varied. If we have a laptop and a Tactrix, well, any road, any time, can work. Legal is relative. There are hard laws in place like minimum and maximum speed limts, and soft laws in place like excess acceleration (based on the judgement call of the officer observing the act with no specific measure to the capabilities/limits of the car or driver or relative safety of the act). In some ways you are always breaking the law every time you accelerate heavily for fun, brake hard, or take a corner fast, data logging or not. None of us ever do that. :p

Nhibbs likes this.
  44. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I drive below the speed limit in the left lane. :p

45. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

AND! you probably never shut off your mobile devices on a plane before it was legal. You are all A-Holes!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxoxox

:)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014