GoPro users, seeking advice.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Krazylegz1485, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Greetings all GoPro users. I'm hoping to upgrade my current situation and looking for suggestions.

My current GoPro is one of the og standard def ones, so really anything is an upgrade. I was hoping with the recent launch of the 5, the 4's and even 3's would come down significantly. Unfortunately I'm not seeing that yet, unless you buy used (which I'd rather not do unless I knew the owner personally).

GoPro sells a refurbished 4 on their site for $375 and I found new 4's on eBay for $400. The brand new 5 is $400!

What would you do?

Also, should note, as convenient as the 5 sounds with not having a case anymore I'm at least slightly concerned that a scratch on the camera lens would now be permanent as opposed to riding in a protective case like before. I'd put it to use in a lot of different scenarios which would most likely result in drops/tumbles on the ground at some point.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^like racing the dirt track at the fair? :)

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  3. Krazylegz1485

Come on now, it's not the fair... Haha.

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

What was it then? Like Hay Dayz?

Either way, it's a workout for the camera mounts is all that I'm sayin'! :p

5. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

My thoughts. I've had at least one of each of the GoPros since they have been made. I don't use them for anything even close to professional videos, but have had them on my car for autocross, and hdpe. I've also used them helmet mounted on skis, bikes, and atvs. (one time taped to my had as i jumped/fell out of an airplane). The newer cameras are getting amazing with the quality of the video, but unless you are using professional style software with a computer to back it, I don't see the need for the 4k video. The new 5 has lots of cool features, but I am not sold on the voice functions, Unless it understands swearing, it won't work as designed.
    I would look at the 4 silver. Almost all the same features as the 4 black, but comes in a little cheaper. I like the size of the sessions, but am not a fan of not being able to swap batteries. I agree about the lack of case for the new 5, but I will guess there will be aftermarket lens protectors available and hard cases.
    Figure out really what you would use it for, and determine if you need all the bells and whistles the upper end products provide. There are also a lot of "sports cameras" on the market. Maybe another product would suit your needs.

Krazylegz1485 and predavore like this.
  6. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

What they said. If you're looking for a "home video" setup for the bedroom, waterproof is the way to go.

Are you set on GoPro?

7. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have the Hero 2,3 black, and 4 silver. The new 5 is physically different, might have mounting limitations with existing stuff. I like the 3 silver. Touch screen integrated is awesome. I have the lcd back pack for the 2/3 and it's bulky. Batteries changed on the 4, but I found a charger that does both. You can always put the GoPro on a BestBuy credit card or something where you get 10% back during a special or sign up.

8. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

9. Krazylegz1485

Use - Mostly vehicle and snowboard related. I'm not completely stuck on GoPro, it was just all there was when I got my first one and it was bad ass. Plus they're extremely simple to use, in my opinion.

As far as bells and whistles go, I certainly don't need or have capabilities to use 4k. I remember when the 3 came out I wanted the black simply for the faster/better still photo burst. I ended up taking quite a few pictures with mine rather than video at some point.

Also the wifi or Bluetooth remote that came with the black 3 was quite interesting. I read that it was tough on batteries but would also allow for a more "remote" camera placement, such as the exterior of the car when you're strapped in.

Thanks all for a bunch of replies!

10. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

I've used the remote and phone app for up to 3 cameras at one time. It is really handy when you mount a camera on the outside of the car, or in a place you just can't reach. My favorite so far is the 4. I really like the LCD screen for framing the shot, or when using as just a camera. The app is nice for this also, but I don't always like having to have my phone handy. (especially when skiing).

11. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

wait a month for cyber monday deals.

12. Krazylegz1485

I really like the sounds of this. At some point in time I'd love to be able to have more than one. I used to really enjoy editing and putting videos together. Multiple angles is obviously a good thing.

13. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

GoPro Hero3+ silver, certified refurbished by GoPro with a 1 year warranty from GoPro. Only $160 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321741221931?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Be warned, they usually sell fast and they come and go from availability. They currently have some refurbed Hero4's as well.

I bought one of these earlier this year (along with a wifi remote...they had a package deal for like $180) and it has been working great. The Hero 3+ has great video quality, wifi, a removable battery, and is the best bang for the buck IMO. It can shoot 1080p at 60 fps, which produces great video. The files sizes get to be huge, so I tend to use 960p or 720p at 60 fps.

To me the 4k video on the higher end models is completely overkill due to file size and very limited availability of avenues for watching 4k video.

Krazylegz1485 and predavore like this.
  14. mike4king

mike4king Member

My vote is for the Hero 4 Silver. That's what I have and I love it much more than the previous versions I've had. The case issue would also be a big problem for me since I want it to be protected in the unfortunate event of a motorcycle accident.

I use 1080p at 60fps for everything I shoot.

15. Krazylegz1485

Well, after mostly everybody raving about the silver 4 I finally pulled the trigger. Refurb sale I was watching on eBay put a pretty steep discount on them this morning.

With that said, if anybody's in the market, they're selling for $235 on eBay (normally 280) and come with the 1 year warranty.

TMF likes this.
  16. mike4king

mike4king Member

Best Buy's Deal of the Day on their website, Hero 4 Black brand new for $329