GrimmSpeed Crank Pulley - Product Review

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by ofspunk7, May 11, 2011.

1. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

GrimmSpeed Crank Pulley - Product Review

“They not only look cool but there is absolutely zero cons for this particular mod. GrimmSpeed FTW!†- Modern Automotive Performance

I am not sure if I can sum up this modification any better. This product really has no downside!

View attachment 24740

Car: 2009 WRX – E85 and other goodies
    Owned Mod for: About a month
    Issues / Problems: None

The first thing you will notice is that I did not get one of the pretty colored pulleys. I guess that is the small price I pay for being a tester.

The purpose of this modification is to get rid of the OEM pulley. The OEM setup is heavy, this weight is not only not necessary, but it can lead to failures. Just like many of the decisions that make up our stock cars, it fits the budget. GrimmSpeed saw this issue as an opportunity to better our engine setup. This pulley is 3.5lbs lighter and constructed better than the OEM setup. This pulley is balanced CNC machined 6061 T6 anodized aluminum to the optimal weight to not make the ECU / Engine mad (CELs or Hesitation)…. Oh and it has pretty colors.

What did I notice once this was installed on my car? Well 1st thing I noticed was that the idle was better… call me crazy but my car felt smoother. I had recently tuned my car from E85 to pump gas for a road trip, my main issue prior to this install we the idle. This pulley was installed and the first thing I noticed was that my car seemed to be running smooth. It really stood out to me. In a way I am glad that this was installed for the 2 weeks I was back on pump gas…. Otherwise I might not have noticed this as much. Now I am back on the corn (E85) and the car is running like butter. The REV’s did come faster as well. This is due to the lighten load on the engine. The removal of 3.5 LBS on your engine results in less of a rotational mass, which means your engine wastes less power on your pulley…. More power for you!

Why else should you buy this product? The installation and removal tool is such a great idea that it doesn’t surprise me that GrimmSpeed was the first company to come out with it. Not only does it work for your OEM setup, but it also works for their pulley. One tool to remove and upgrade my setup is always a nice thing to have. As well, if you have a 2009 WRX (08+) GrimmSpeed is the only one who offers an aftermarket stretch belt installation kit.

Would I recommend this product? YES!

Thanks to everyone @ GrimmSpeed, once again you have given birth to top of the line products for the aftermarket Subaru community.

Link to Product Release ….. Click Here

Link to GrimmSpeed ….. Click Here

[YOUTUBE]R4w3tJGozCM[/YOUTUBE]

2. emjayem

emjayem Well-Known Member

Interesting, good write up. I have question though. What kind of engine failures will the oem pulley contribute to? Also, what is this stretch belt you speak of??

Does the GS one have a rubber ring within it for torsional vibration? or is it just straight up metal. Does the oem one have a rubber ring?

Last thing, how do I get on the list to try stuff for free??!!!

3. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

I've never heard a pulley causing engine failure. The stretch belt is on the 08+ Imprezas. Subaru stopped using the belt tensioner and went to a stretch belt. Most aftermarket companies pretty much ignore this fact, we took it a step further and put everything together that you need to get a stretch belt on and off.

As for your rubber ring question, the OEM crank pulley does not act as a harmonic damper found on for example traditional V8 engine dampers. The elastomer portion of the pulley helps dampen some noise from the engine accessories (ie. alternator, PS pump, and A/C compressor) but in our experience, the increase in this noise is in-perceivable.

Here is a note directly from SOA:

"Thank you for your patience as I checked with our Technical Services Department regarding your message below. They advised that the crank pulley is a pulley and nothing else. It is not used as a harmonic damper/balancer. Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again."

Best wishes, John J. Mergen

Customer Service Department Subaru of America, Inc."

4. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information Justin.

5. ofspunk7

Yes. Thanks for stepping in.

6. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

This is perfect timing. I have seen the OEM crank pulley fail and I will see you guys in the morning. :)

7. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Nice looking item!

8. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Makes me want one.

9. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Thanks for stopping in Matt!

10. vangstaboi86

vangstaboi86 Well-Known Member

When's the group buy?

11. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Thank you! Seems to be a solid piece. And now that I thought about it, I believe it was Will that I talked to on the phone the other day.

I think they said Rally Sport Direct will be hosting one on NASIOC soon. I am sure someone who knows stuff will chime in...

12. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Just picked one up for the homeboy ;)

13. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a local group buy on these.
    Any possibility of this happening?
    Maybe?
    Please?

14. ofspunk7

I wanted to add the DIY video... oh and what a great opportunity to show off my engine bay :cool:

[YOUTUBE]R4w3tJGozCM[/YOUTUBE]

MODs can you put this at the bottom of my review?

15. ofspunk7

Just noticed - Group buy going on @ NASIOC - CLICK HERE

16. emjayem

emjayem Well-Known Member

nice good info. I gues I have not looked at my belt that closely!lol Thanks for the posts, may have to invest!

17. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

hA!!!