"GrimmSpeed Gold" Wheel Paint - matches BBS gold

Discussion in 'Vendor Announcements/Sales/Discounts' started by GrimmSpeed, Nov 3, 2008.

1. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

GrimmSpeed presents "GrimmSpeed Gold", your only BBS gold wheel paint match..you can't even get this color directly from BBS!! Our engineers have been working on this color match the entire summer and it is finally here!We personally know that when you damage those beautiful gold BBS rims it is impossible to find a paint that is an exact match so you end up with the whole world knowing that you rubbed that extra high curb. Well now you can spray a bit of our "GrimmSpeed Gold" Wheel Paint on them and they will look like new!

And for all of you that don't have BBS wheels, well now you can paint your wheels the same color as the BBS wheels. Being Subaru owners ourselves, we are all addicted to the gold look but it is impossible to find a good gold color at your local paint/auto parts store(especially one that is even remotely close to BBS gold). Search no more!

12oz Can

Price: 14.99

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=144

[​IMG]

2. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

... I am not amused...
    ... Where was this 3 months ago?

3. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

lol...i'm sorry. it was in the middle of creation 3 months ago. :)

4. TheHoboMan

TheHoboMan Well-Known Member

Hmmm, this may be a solution to my ugly stocker problem...

5. stiv5

stiv5 Well-Known Member

Cool, I might have to pickup some cans.

6. blackozone

It's all good. I'm going a different route from the gold, but this will be quite handy.

7. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

absolutely. painting stockers :yumyum:

8. hakstern

hakstern Member

Does anyone know if the bbs gold is the same gold as the 98 rs 5 spokes?

9. greg donovan

greg donovan Well-Known Member

^^^
    ditto

10. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

it is not the same color.

11. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

hmmm painting my 19s gold... gold on white... WIfe says Yuck.. ha ha

might have to go black...

ps.. the click to enlarge picture is SMALLER then the display picture on teh site ha h aha

12. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

yeah that 'click to enlarge' thing never works on oscommerce sites. for most of the products i have a function that lets you click on the images in the context of the description that will enlarge the pic. there are a few that arent set up this way and the paint is one of them.

13. jb05sti

jb05sti Well-Known Member

the gold changed prettyy much every year so...what ones did you copy?

the gold from my 08...is wayyyy different than the set i had from my 05.

and the gold from the 07 i seen was wayy different than my 05 and 08.

just to clarify.

14. twiztid_rs

twiztid_rs Well-Known Member

F'IN SWEEET!!!! just in time since i've been thinking about painting the rims over the winter....

quick question though for those that have painted your rims before, how many cans did it take to get good solid coverage??? i'm doing 17s and just trying to figure out how many cans i'm gonna need

15. Impreziv

Impreziv Well-Known Member

I have sprayed many sets of wheels and have never used more than 2 cans on the faces and inner area around the rotor to the inner lip.

16. ej20

ej20 Well-Known Member

ummm....I'm thinking of painting my 17" Rota G-force from flat black to Gold.

Dont know, if my rotas are 18" forsure i'll turn them Goldies.

17. blackozone

I used 1 can per wheel. That should gaurantee solid coverage.

18. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

yeah anytime ive painted my rims its never taken more than one can per rim..not that mine look the best but that comes down to prep..its a learning process..

and way to go grimm on the paintmatch!!!

19. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Well-Known Member

this is actually for real? ....

20. hella_sti

hella_sti Well-Known Member

can we we see some side by side shots of the painted wheels next to the stock sti goldies?

21. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

i guess i dont understand your question.

yeah, i'm going to be doing some wrx stockers soon.

22. Skarecrow

it wasn't a question.
    I said that because your company "could" get sued for slapping your name on another company's product.

Krylon didn't invent that system so you could package a blend of paint and sell it as your own companys thought. If it is infact the masterblend system where you can fill your own cans with whatever product you or another company may choose to put inside. The Idea you have is correct... to contain and maintain travel sized / ease of use cans of a specific blend of color. So this isn't about the use of the product / marketing.

these companys spend years perfecting paints / blends / and materials to be sold under a specific name / brand / type. Believe me.. they take it VERY seriously. USUALLY when a company such as PPG, Dupont, Krylon, whoever the manufacture... delivers a mixed blend of paint to your door.. they wrap your company name on it. (delivered to steve.. sean.... super paint inc) it means you are the trusted company in which is intended to use the product. ((especially uros do to enviro reasons... which is why the enviro seriese came out.. which is another story for another time.)) they entrust you to have the proper waste permits assigned by law to contain, house certain class chemicals, especially to ship them. (in this case paints) and have a proper disposal of said product. the intended user of the krylon paint refill station is your company.

if your company uses this paint... its one thing. paint shops do it all the time. premix a color.. save it.. it makes life easier. it's STILL that paint company's paint... and i'm using it later.

now If I mix PPG blue, with PPG green to color match a project.... it doesn't become seans magic wonder match paint.... which allows me to sell it as sean's blue green wonder match paint brand PPG. and when / IF PPG finds out about my selling of said product... especially if i put my name on it and claim some sort of responsibility with the manufacture of the color.. it won't be a happy day in court for me. copy write infringement.

i'm not saying this to be a ****..... i'm saying this so you don't get sued.

put the proper disclaimers on your site, and you should probably remove your name from the bottles. They do have people that find this stuff heart beat quick. disclaimers should include what type of paint (uro, laquer, waterbourne, so on) so people know what type of respirator to wear while spraying. If its a uro.. they need to know a legal propper dispposal ground.. it's illegal to toss tha tstuff in the garbage since it eats everything, and again... the fumes can kill you over time. I would also start looking into your areas permits for housing paint / disposal info.... because if the city of st. paul strolls into your shop and sees that you are manufacturing and distributing paint without proper waste management.... your shop will shut its door very fast.

i've spent over 10 years with paint....
    reasons I have to do it in designated areas...
    reasons I dont let people watch me paint with uros... the fumes are deadly.
    the state requires MANY things when it comes to chemicals

just do some more research... before you get angry at this post. I have a point... and i almost NEVER call someone out unless it's serious.

but hey, if you have a contract with krylon to sell "grimmspeed BBS gold match rim paint" at a price thats designed for marketing... my bad.
    but if not... it's deceitful

((plus the color code for the world rally gold bbs wheels is listed with PPG... if a body shop requires the color code, it can ask a mix station for it to have a mix made, or if you have a cliq system and a shaker you can make it in your shop in about 5 minutes after you pull the code. you are right tho.. you can't get that color from BBS... because BBS doesn't make paint... they make rims. )

23. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

we had our own custom blend made up by our own manufacturer(we are definitely not slapping our name on BBS paint). we are not "using it" on customers cars. the logo on the can in the pic is not real, it is for marketing purposes only. There is a label on the can that has our own custom blend code and the name of the color, which is "GrimmSpeed Gold". This paint has nothing to do with Krylon so i'm a bit confused by this.

we are not using any company's paint. it is a brand new blend made by us and our manufacturer.

i'm not going to get angry at you lol. contrary to popular belief by the bad apples on this site...i'm a very happy and smart person that definitely encourages thoughts/ideas(as long as you are not being vengeful).

i'm still a bit confused by how you are thinking anyone could sue us. this is a specific custom blend made by our manufacturer for us only. they definitely know we are selling it under our brand as they are the ones that put our name on the tag on the can.

Justin

24. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Just curious Justin - what kind of paint is it? Acrylic? Uro? Oil?

25. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I'm going to chime in here to help a little bit on why Skarecrow is bringing this up.

One of the big reasons is legality of selling packaged aerosol chemicals. More than likely, in most paint manufacturer rebranding, you still have to indicate the manufacturer's name on the can. Saying it is GrimmSpeed brand paint can bring on the legal dogs very quickly. If PPG sends you a can of paint that you order and you put it in a Krylon Fillstation can and put GrimmSpeed on the side, it is still PPG's forumlation, and there have been a few companies that have gotten an ass full of the legalese from PPG for doing just that.

Another reason to want the manufacturer's info and blend information (not the specific coloration codes, but simply the base and application info) is because you need to know this sort of stuff for application. A urethane based paint needs clear within 24 hours. Other types of paint require different types of preparation. Since it appears this stuff is being pumped into Krylon Fillstation cans, the can isn't going to have the information about the paint and application info and composition info printed on the side of it.

Finally, there are environmental and legal consequences involved in selling and distributing solvents that have to be adhered to...even if PPG or whomever made the paint doesn't mind, you still are required by law to have the MSDS information for said products and that has to list the manufacturer of the chemicals. If you brand it as GrimmSpeed paint and don't indicate the manufacturer of the chemical, you could suffer the heavy hand of the state coming down on you for illegally distributing chemicals without the proper markings.

26. readymix

I guess I just missed the edit to your post about the manufacturer knowing you rebrand it. That's fine. But the other big issue is chemical composition and proper marking and safety information. The problem with selling harmful chemicals or handling them as a business is that you can really get in serious trouble with the state for doing so without the proper permits and such.

27. readymix

Just trying to look out for you man, I'd hate to see GrimmSpeed shut down for some silly chemicals handling state inspection or something stupid like that.

28. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

ok thank you for the info guys. i really do appreciate it. i'll check with our engineer this week to make sure we are up to par on the legalities.

Justin

29. jb05sti

jb05sti Well-Known Member

my question still hasnt been answered about what year gold wheels this is from..

the gold bbs changed color almost every year....

30. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

I noticed that can thing, too. Definitely a marketing ploy as most STI owners with golds know what that can looks like after they search out touch up paint and find it's no longer offered.

Justin- I have an 06 rim that needs "a little" love in the touch up area if you want a test rim. I also have a set of 05 rims that may have a few small areas that could be touched up.

31. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

hey sorry..missed the question. The rim that we used to make the color was an 05 STi BBS wheel.

i honestly didnt know there was a difference between 04-06 and 07 sti bbs gold. i'd like to see the difference in person to verify. i know the 08's have a much darker gold color(not as nice imo)

32. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

It's an acrylic enamel. Basically it's the most durable single component paint available (paint able to be sprayed out of a rattle can).

Clear coats and application: We suggest the gold color coats to happen within an hour of eachother. We recommend using clear coat 3-4 days AFTER the coats of the gold to prevent the occurence of lifting and/or wrinkling. Any clear should work but we suggest testing a sample area first. A clear coat isn't necessary however.

Chad
    [email protected]

33. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

one of our GrimmSpeed Gold customer cars:

[​IMG]

34. Skarecrow

food for thought :
    be aware that bonding may be an issue at some point in time, as most uro's were not meant to be sprayed over enamel based paints... the bonding structure for uro based is one in itself... uros.

however water Bourne/ water based will allow compatiablilty with certain uros depending on if the compound was designed to be cover coated with a uro based topcoat / clear.

when a paint causes pinholes, it means gases were trying to escape and the paint wasn't allowed long enough to dry.

when a paint fish eyes, its because the surface was not clean enough and oils and dirt may have still existed causing an uneven surface.

If a paint wrinkles, it's due to incompatabuility 80% of the time. The paint is being forced away from the original coat.

This can be overcome by letting the paint completely dry, but this compromises the bonding ability with a paint that didn't want to bond with a topcoat in the first place.

I would HIGHLY suggest if you were to use this style of paint and clear coat it to use a WATER BASED clear. you will have much longer dry times, but you will most likely not run into such an issue. water based clears are still based slightly off a uro.... but there is a higher content of water then their is of a uro. longer dry times allow more surface contact prior to hardening allowing this to bond more flush to it's surface.

recommended- matrix systems clear
    http://www.autobodysupply.net/product-p/matms52-fslash-gal-kit.htm

hope this aids some frustrations

35. GrimmSpeed

GrimmSpeed Vendor

wow, we sold more GrimmSpeed Gold paint last month than all of our previous months combined. looks like theres going to be a lot of shiny new gold on the roads :)

Justin