Is this transmission noise normal?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Turnyface, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

https://vid.me/H0MB

New sound showed up when I'm coasting in gear. I'm used to the whining, but the new wooshing / grinding sounds is concerning to me.

Car is stock, except for shirt this shifter and shifter bushings.

Is this grinding normal?

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Did you just put in the bushings? You might notice more noise with the bushings.

I think k that noise is normal though. Every Subaru I've had sounds like that on decel.

@Curry went through the same thing with his 11 WRX back in the day. Dealer tried to diagnose, replace 2nd gear in the process (which didn't stop the noise) and ultimately decided it was normal. I concur with the dealer.

3. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

No, the bushings have been in since December.

This sound just popped up a few weeks ago and has been driving me nuts ever since. The only comparison on normality is my brothers '08 WRX, which doesn't make the same sound on decel, just the "normal" whine.

I should note that this video shows the worst of it (sound wise). The most annoying is when I just left off the gas at about 3k RPMs and it does it ever so faintly, almost like a whirring sound. It's this that prompted me to investigate further.

4. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Honestly it sounds like the normal whine to me in the video, but it might sounds different in person.

Since you should still be under warranty, it might not hurt to visit the dealer.

5. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

Good call. Any idea if they charge a diagnostic fee, even if it's under warranty?

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

When was the last time that the gear oil was changed? My swap/donor car was making some horrible noises so i had the gear oil changed and things were much better after.

I'd recommend that you call the dealership in the morning and ask them about warranty work and diagnostic costs.

7. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

Fluid was changed to the Andrewtech's Cocktail mid January (3 quarts redline lightweight shock proof + 1 qt motul 300)

8. tangledupinblu

There is your problem. Consider running Subaru Extra S. Your gears will thank you.

I'm not sure if Andrews blend is as bad on these transmissions as the Scotties Cocktail. But yeah.

Ctracey218 and Nhibbs like this.
  9. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

I think it's quite the opposite. Andrewtech's Cocktail is supposed to eliminate grinding and help with smooth shifting.

I guess I could go back to OEM. The only reason I switched was because it was a pain to shift my car on cold, winter mornings.

10. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

OEM or bust. Most of those cocktails are designed for older transmissions, and it's just a band aid.

11. tangledupinblu

Then my recommendation would be Extra S and a heated garage! :p

12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

PS, the dealer doesn't sell extra S any more... Apparently the Subaru stopped making it. They released some other replacement, but I haven't read up on it yet.

13. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

14. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

15. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

Hmm, quite interesting. A VOA would be interesting between the two.

16. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

I've run all these fluids in various transmissions over the years.
    Uncle Scotty's: It was a nice novelty when it hit the scene, but don't do it. Blackstone fluid testing shows it might actually be harmful over time, but that wasn't confirmed last I knew.
    Andrewtech: Works great if you have an old transmission that is getting worn out. I liked it.
    Extra-S: Works great as well, but won't mask severe issues. When something's broke, it's broke.

TMF, EricS and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

I had the car in for a recall service today and took the technician on a cruise for about 10 mins for the grinding issue. He said it sounded like "something in the early stages of failing", but wasn't sure what it could be.

Two hours later, I got my car back, and all they did was note the issue. They couldn't pinpoint it enough to justify a tear down of my driveline. In the meantime, I'm supposed to monitor it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I also switched to the factory fluid (had to to get HPGO, since they don't sell Extra-S anymore). Unfortunately, the sound is still there. And honestly, I can't tell a difference between the OEM fluid and the cocktail I was running, other than fluid color. They both shift smoothly.

18. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Still under warranty? At least now you have record of a funny noise and the tech heard it too.
    Sounds like a good excuse to not worry about being gentle to the tranny. Lol they should be fine with replacing a blown transmission if they don't want to investigate the noise preventatively.

19. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

flat foot shifting and launch control are really fun. :coffee:

20. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

Yep, my car about 18K miles, so I'm well within the 3yr/36k and 5yr/60k warranties. Car is stock, except for some driveline and suspension mods. Oh....and an AP with a "custom" tune.

I've never tried - they're currently disabled on my AP. But maybe not for long?

21. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

If worse comes to worse and you do need to take it in for a tear down, I would recommend putting it back to stock, especially since some of your mods are driveline related. I'd even go back to the stock tune. It would really suck if they deny your warranty claim due to modifications...it has happened plenty of times before. That's just my $.02.

I hope that it all works out though!

And yes, FFS and LC are pretty fun :D

22. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

I've always uninstalled the AP and returned to the stock map before bringing it in.

If they denied a warranty claim due to an aftermarket short shifter, poly shifter bushings, and sway bars/endlinks, all hell would break loose.

23. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

I have had a similar sound on a few of my Subarus.. Typically, when I get the chatter on decel (still in gear) it's due to my light weight flywheel and an aftermarket clutch.

So, with you not having touched those aspects, I would assume it is more of a typical Subaru noise..

24. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Per Federal law, it is the dealerships' responsibility to present proof your modifications caused the failure. However, they will fight you tooth-and-nail if they believe they're right or don't want to honor the warranty. The path of least resistance is putting the car back to stock before taking it in.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    TMF likes this.
  25. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yea, what he said!

@Turnyface I'm not trying to work against you here, only help!

26. Turnyface

Turnyface Member

Understood. Thanks!

27. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

Sounds the same as mine, but like someone else said maybe it's not coming across well in the audio

28. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Its hard to tell if there is any issue from the video. Like @TMF said, I did have an issue and the dealership did something and then said it was nothing when their "fix" didn't resolve the problem. I would describe my issue as gear chatter on deceleration, not "grinding"

You may want to check your tire pressure closely. If your tire pressure is off, it may cause increased strain in the differentials

29. tangledupinblu

Curry science FTW.

Nhibbs likes this.