Gun laws n stuff..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Eric Carlson, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson New Member

I'm just curious what y'all think about gun laws.
    (Sorry bout getting all political btw)
    Tbh I couldn't care less but I feel like that's changing since this came up today (my school)

*Not very obvious from the screenshot but there was a shooting threat and they didn't even let out school*

Attached Files:

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I remember when the biggest “threat” at school was the possibility of receiving a “swirlie”.
    DB43160A-DCED-4336-ADA5-B8D4ABB34EE0.jpeg
    For you young fellas...
    142BC989-46E1-4642-BAD4-677681A0EFE1.jpeg

Cotts612 and 02subbieRS like this.
  3. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

OP, do you have a question? Just saying "what do y'all think" is too vague. Do you have an issue with the school lockdown/shelter in place policy?

Also, starting a that like this is...iffy. This is a small forum and tends to be fairly gun friendly, but political discussion on forums is usually not a good idea.

But, I'm your Huckleberry. I have no issue discussing politics as long as people keep it civil.

4. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

@tangledupinblu I was the recipient of many a swirlie back in the day. Along with getting thrown in the dumpster, shoved into lockers, etc........ Times were dark ;)

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

When I was in grade school, there was a rash of 'smurfing' which consisted of pulling one's pants down while they stood at the urinal.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  6. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Uh, guns are ok I guess. I went to a school where every vehicle in the parking lot had at least one in it, and every truck had them mounted to the back window. Never had an issue.

sneefy likes this.
  7. tangledupinblu

Yeah, bullying was alot different in those days. And “safe spaces” were located in your locker.

02subbieRS and sneefy like this.
  8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I think the OP just wanted to get out of some school.

9. pillboy

This threat was avoided by "holding it" all day and not going in the restrooms at school.

sneefy and tangledupinblu like this.
  10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I remember in kindergarten or first grade there was a kid who thought it was necessary to pull his pants to his ankles to pee at the urinal. Even then I knew it was odd.

sneefy likes this.
  11. Krazylegz1485

Also, why does a conversation about guns always have to be "political"? Maybe I'm too laid back in general, but I could really care less if you own/use them or not. I don't hunt nor have any interest in it (don't really eat any meat other than farm animals) and I sure as hell don't have any interest in killing a person, therefore I don't see a need to even own one. Maybe that's mildly ignorant but that's my story.

sneefy and pillboy like this.
  12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I still pee in public kindergartner style. Pants around the ankles. Not as a preemptive smurfing block but bc your move, bro.

tangledupinblu, sneefy and Navar Hren like this.
  13. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

*enters thread* oh look, a special little snowflake wants gun grabbing because someone made a threat on social media and his safe space magical bubble was almost popped.

14. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Which gun laws specifically? Re: guns on school property?

For context, hunting rifles were allowed on school grounds (locked car in parking lot) when I was in HS. It wasn't even up for debate until Columbine (my junior year of HS in '99). I can remember a handful of times where someone got suspended for bringing a hand gun to school. Worst punishment I can remember was when a kid was expelled for the year (allowed to come back the next year) for pulling a gun during a fight in the commons area during lunch in middle school. I also don't have kids. So I don't even think about guns on school property other than "damn, times have changed."

That was almost 20 years ago though, so I'm interested to hear your perspectives since you grew up in a post-Columbine, post-911 era.

15. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I should rephrase. It was sneaking up behind someone and pulling the unsuspecting person's pants down while they urinated. It usually resulted in a mess. I'm also not sure what Smurfs had to do with it.

Sorry. My morning caffeine had not yet kicked in.

16. pillboy

Hmmmmm...that was YOU I saw.

17. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Because everything is politicized to death these days, unfortunately. Usually by the foolish and/or ignorant.

18. tangledupinblu

People used to “suck it up”. Nowadays kids get all butthurt and think that they have something to prove. Your a pansy if you need to pull a gun on any bully. Take your lumps, dish some lumps. Social media has destroyed all the things.

02subbieRS and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  19. Krazylegz1485

Worry not, that's exactly what I got from your original post.

sneefy likes this.
  20. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Back In my day, which wasn't very long ago(class of 03), **** was settled with words or fists. Middle school we would fight in school, and be done. High school was out in the parking lot, and that usually settled things up. 1 on 1 fights for the most part, except the time a kid pulled a knife before a fight, that dude got rushed from all sides, disarmed and then the fight was back on lol. Anywho, why can't people just throw hands instead of bullets?:blackeye:

21. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Oh....boy.... *leaves thread*

Fienix and readymix like this.
  22. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

My thoughts have always been the cliche "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

On that, anything is a potential weapon, you could get fatally stabbed with a pencil at school.

Also, with regards to stricter gun laws, my thoughts have always been, the real criminals probably aren't getting guns legally anyway, so what real good would the stricter laws do? It will make the black market for guns even stronger.

Just my politically uninformed $0.02.

sneefy likes this.
  23. curly2k3

That's an ignorant view. I mean drugs are illegal and impossible to obtain. Prohibition also proved how easily the government can rid the world of something alcohol by simply making it illegal.

sneefy likes this.
  24. mctenold

Which point was ignorant to you?

What? That definitely ignorant. Illegal drugs are very easy to obtain.

25. curly2k3

The one where I used heavy sarcasm in my response.

sneefy and joebush44 like this.
  26. mctenold

:bounce: I was so confused. You never know in these types of threads.

sneefy likes this.
  27. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I should clarify that my comment was about kids in school.

28. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Very good. You never know what colloquialisms from the mid 1980s may have survived.

Aegis likes this.
  29. tangledupinblu

Someone carved “dirty mexican” on my locker in high school. I lol’d.

Also, guns, i love em. That is all

30. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

OP , get out and vote coming up! ***@%#&%$×@$@ wait never mind.

31. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson New Member

Sorry I realize I posted this without actually giving my own views...
    Really there's no simple answer, I'm not worried about getting in a fight and having a gun pulled on me, it's more of the 'some kid could easily bring a gun in his backpack and shoot up the school's. Quite honestly, I don't doubt it'll happen, especially since we're the biggest high school in Minnesota. The prospect is still scary, but I can't just live in fear on it..
    I really have trouble forming an opinion since I think guns can be a necessary right, and if guns are legal they'll always somehow end up with someone with evil intent. The only way to remove the threat of school shootings is to ban guns, which I think shouldn't happen.
    Honestly, I need more time to think to have a clear opinion on this

sneefy likes this.
  32. mctenold

This is the scenario that I have an issue personally understanding. Is it a mental issue? Pure evil?

I believe that all humans are born good, and hate/evil is learned or caused by a child's upbringing. So imho, something has gone awry in child rearing. We have to figure out the root of the problem if we want to have any chance of solving the issue - anything else is just bandaid fixes.

33. mctenold

"In terms of school-related homicides, those are down significantly. In fact, violent crime in general has gone down over the last 20 years in the U.S. However, that is not people’s perception, so I think that is where the media comes into play."

Remember also the media plays a large part in fear-mongering. One of many reasons that I don't watch the news anymore.

An interesting read:
    https://ed.lehigh.edu/theory-to-practice/2013/school-shooters

sneefy likes this.
  34. tangledupinblu

Banning guns will never “remove the threat of school shootings “. Because there will forever be guns and forever a way to get them, even if they are flat out banned. Some kid with a chip on his shoulder could also still go on the internet and learn how to make some form of deadly weapon/bomb.

Ultimately, parenting plays a HUGE role in this whole conversation as mctenold already mentioned. We are the ones that need to grab this thing by the balls. Unfortunately, a lot of parents aren’t actually parents.

35. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I <3 guns

36. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I completely disagree with this. People, while not born evil, are born selfish and are inherently self-interested. Selflessness and being good to others is what must be learned.

Many, unfortunately, are not taught to be functioning members of society, much less be good people.

Krazylegz1485 and mctenold like this.
  37. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

There never is. There will always be a bugaboo that simple minds will want to ban. In England, gun ownership is severely restricted. So what have people been killing each other with? Knives. Now the idiot mayor of London has been discussing banning knives. They have even begun designing kitchen knives with blunt points so you can't stab anybody with them. Next will be banning rocks.

A violence-free Utopia in this world is impossible. You have a right to defend your life, family, and property from threat by whatever means necessary. If you wish to do so, your ability should be balanced to the threat. That's often a gun. It's the great equalizer.

However, violent crime, including school shooting, is down and murder by gun has been declining for decades. As has been mentioned, the media has done a disservice by sensationalizing.

You can't live in paranoia or fear. Statistically, it's unlikely to happen to you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  38. curly2k3

I'd just like to point out guns and backpacks have been equally accessible and able to be put together to be brought into schools for a very long time. Its not like either is a new technology.

The size of the school means jack ****, I went to Eden Prairie and had the largest school population in the state at the time as well, we had one lock down when an outsider came in alleging he had a gun.

The stupid lock down could've ended HOURS before it did, but they searched for weapons and the supposed bomb he claimed he placed before they let us out.

You're seeing a result of people wanting attention, and the stupid ****ing media putting the lights on them at full tilt constantly.

sneefy and Aegis like this.
  39. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

40. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

BTW, OP, I appreciate that you're being thoughtful and not simply knee-jerking to some completely black and white conclusion.

idget and Eric Carlson like this.
  41. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson New Member

Thanks, I just like to think it's better to look uninformed and not have a conclusive opinion than to have an uninformed opinion.

Also generally I agree with all of y'all that blames the media partly, I think it's like shark attacks and jaws. I think I ready somewhere that you're more likely to die from a cow attack or something than a shark attack, the media just plays off fear because fear generates interest. Too bad it's becoming harder and harder to form your own opinions while staying informed these days..

tangledupinblu, Aegis and sneefy like this.
  42. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Truth. Blind groupthink is frighteningly common and those that don't subscribe are demonized instantly.

Eric Carlson likes this.
  43. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson New Member

#joinyourlocalsubaruforumtoremovemediabias

sneefy likes this.
  44. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Your hashtag gave me aids

45. tangledupinblu

You are wise beyond your years grasshopper.

Eric Carlson likes this.