GUNS!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jerf, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Okay nothing too exciting here. But with all of the media and politics about guns going around right now I figure this is a good time to start moving forward on my gun ownership level. I am looking for advice on WHERE to buy, not if I should buy. Long story short, I use to hunt, then I moved to California for a short time and sold all my guns, moved around and never bought them again. I have toyed around with buying 3 guns. An AR-15, 12 gauge and a handgun. Any ways with the talk of gun laws clamping down I am curious as to where are some good places in the TC to pick up a good deal? Please spare the liberal comments:p

2. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

This thread is relevant to my interests. Subscribed.

3. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Ditto.

I hope we can also spare the conservative comments so that the thread can continue to exist. ;)

4. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Ha..this is true

5. SurlyOldManMN

6. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Arnzen Arms in EP, GunStop in Minnetonka (Glen Lake), Frontiersman in SLP are all normally really decent on prices. Scheels in Mankato is also pretty good, all of these would likely stock one or all of what you're looking for. Alternatively, if you want to build your own AR, Atomic Tactical in Bloomington is great.

Honestly, find the handgun you want and that suits your needs, I'd look at Bill's Gun Range and put forth the small amount to try before you buy with the few handguns you're looking at, it's worth it to verify that you like the firearm while you're firing it, otherwise you might be disappointed down the line pretty quick.

Don't buy from Dicks or Gander, unless you want a gaping butthole from the rape that will occur there. You can also look on armslist or mnguntalk to find people selling them as well.

Shotguns are easy, find one that fills your want/needs, typically it'll be a Mossberg or Remmington like everyone ends up with, because they're the gold standard and pretty hard to beat for the price.

7. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Im guessing by gaping rape you're referring to price?

8. SurlyOldManMN

Why? Are you interested in another manner of gape rape?

Ctracey218 and ofspunk7 like this.
  9. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I thought it may be part of a holiday special :oops:

10. bubba_crx

bubba_crx Well-Known Member

I was told that a store up here sold 23 ars in the last 2 days, they had like 2 left in the store. Do you know specifically what you are looking for? My parents have a gun shop, unfortunately we are a couple hours from the cities.

11. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

If you are looking for an AR, I wish you the best of luck in finding one. There is currently a run on them that I haven't seen the likes of since either 1994 or Obamas first election. Prices are through the roof and the supply of parts is scarce. Every online store that I have found is out of stock of mags, receivers and uppers. If they do have stock in anything the prices are insane. I have been seeing 90 dollar lowers going for over 300 on Gunbroker.

That being said, for an AR I would stick with Colt, Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense and BCM. Stay away from DPMS and Bushmaster. Railed forends are nice but not necessary and depending on the rifle they can be added later.

Shotguns are simple. Remington and Mossberg are the most popular, with Benelli also making a nice scattergun as well. I own both a Remington 870 Police Magnum and a Mossberg 590A1. Both have good points and drawbacks. I like pumps because you can run anything through them.

Pistols are the tough one because everyone has different hands and different ideas of what feels right in their hands. Find a pistol you like and can shoot well before you pick a caliber. With the modern defensive loads out there you have plenty of choices. You won't be undergunned with a 9mm.

It's going to come down to what you want to use the guns for. If they are just plinking guns, then the choice isn't that crucial. If they are for self defense then don't go cheap. In the gun world you get what you pay for.

Last but not least: anyone who recommends a Hi-Point should be ignored.

bubba_crx likes this.
  12. ShortytheFirefighter

Also, I haven't seen any ARs or parts available locally. I snagged the last 4 PMags and 10 steel mags from Streichers today and they said they are selling like there is no tomorrow, which is a closer possibility than I care to think of figuratively speaking.

13. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yeah, LOTS of places are out of stock on AR and AR parts. You can't even build one right now. RRA was out of stock on all lowers this morning.

14. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

I recently bought a shotgun and I was looking for a Wingmaster (higher end remington 870) and looked around, I ended up buying a weatherby for less than half of what the Wingmaster would have cost at Cabelas, whatever you do I suggest not going to the Gander Mountain in Eden Prairie, they are not very friendly and their prices are high!

Frogy

15. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Yeah other then for cleaning purpose my knowledge of building an AR-15 is slim, so building one would be fun but not for me at this time. I know above it is mentioned to stay away from Gander, but I am thinking for the shotgun and hand gun I may go there and take a peek. I may also check Bill's gun range. Sounds like I may be screwed for the Zombie Apocalypse. The AR-15 would be more for a fun/hobby gun, shotgun more for home defense as well as the handgun. I appreciate some of the tips and info., I have been out of the gun game since 2002 so its all helpful.

16. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

I've never owned a gun, but have been thinking of buying one as well.

17. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

If you want to avoid the tactical look a Ruger Min-14 or 30 might be worth looking at for a casual banger. Same round, some high capacity clips are available. Certainly cheaper. I have both and like them a lot. Ruger is a swear word to a couple folks here though.

18. readymix

Bills has a decent selection of guns, new and used. I bought my Mossberg there.

19. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I'm a shot-gun guy and have many of them. My two favorites are my Benelli Super Black Eagle and a Beretta Silver Pigeon over-under. I would say it would depend on the type of hunting you plan on doing with the shot-gun. I use the SBE for duck hunting as it is synthetic camo and has sling mounts on it. For Pheasant hunting I use the Silver Pigeon.

PRA4SNO likes this.
  20. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

subscribed

AWDimprezaL likes this.
  21. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

22. readymix

I guess the question would be, what's your purpose for it? What are you buying it to accomplish?

23. readymix

The 6.8 would be a decent hunting round.

24. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

More or less having fun at the range and without going on a political rant, to be able to express my 2nd amendment rights. :D

25. ShortytheFirefighter

I tend to stay away from Stag Arms, however if it's just going to be a plinker then it shouldn't be much of an issue. The 6.8 round is alright, but I think the main problem with the 6.8SPC and the 6.5mm Grendel is that you end up giving up magazine capacity and the ammo is pretty hard to find. If you want a .30cal AR, give .300 Blackout a look. It uses a 5.56 case and a .308 bullet, both of which are readily available. Remington and a number of other manufacturers are already cranking out ammo for it, so availability isn't as much of an issue. You only need a barrel, as it uses the same bolt and is available in supersonic and subsonic variants. The subsonic is meant to work with a can (suppressor) so it won't do you much good, but the supersonic ammo is showing some good results. Also, you use the same magazines so you can buy any AR mag and run it without modifications, which you'll need to do with the 6.5mm/6.8SPC.

26. yarpirate

yarpirate BANNED

Last time I checked, budsgunshop.com had pretty good deals... if you don't mind doing FFL paperwork.

27. jles

jles Member

Wolf's Den in hugo has pretty low prices for name brand guns

28. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

If you're not in a hurry Reed's Sporting from Walker, MN has an annual "Test it before you buy it" event in Little Falls, MN. Yeah, I know this little town has been in the news recently too. Anyways, it's a great event to attend, you pay $5 for parking and you can try as many guns you'd like. Last year I think there was over 2 dozen manufactures out there. Everything from pistols, rifles, shot guns, hunting rifles, front loaders, AR's and more.

It's a family event, by that I mean they bring in Top Professional Sponsored shooters like Tom Knapp, Patrick Flangan and the two brothers, which their names escape me to perform a trick shot show. Clay pigeon shooting for fun or for prizes. Phaseant w/wide rice soup and more.

One of the other advantages is they'll pay for your sales tax. I bought my XDm 5.25 40cal for a steal. The people there are great, they'll work for your business, I must of lined up to test the XDm in 9mm and 40 like 4 times. This was also the place where I got to test the new M&P Shield when it first came out.

I stopped going to Bills Annual show after I learned about this.

http://ricecreekgunfair.com/

29. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Waiting around for approval at bills in circle pines
    now. Lots o ar-15s,lowers, parts kits, pmags etc. Fyi

30. ShortytheFirefighter

What kind of pricing?

31. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Pmags-17ish lowers can't read brand 139, parts kits 65-75. Didn't really look at the complete 556 guns. I'm going rra predator in 308

32. ShortytheFirefighter

I may have to get over there and pick up a lower before they're gone.

33. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Line is growing!!!

34. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

This hype will die down in spring of 2013. I'm not looking to pay any price hike.

SurlyOldManMN likes this.
  35. readymix

Avoid Bill's 140 dollar lowers. I believe those are the all composite Plum Crazy lowers. Lots of iffy reviews on gun forums.

36. ShortytheFirefighter

Good luck with that.

Damn. Looks like I'll just put the order in with LMT and wait a few weeks.

37. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

You better hope the Zombies don't come in the mean time. :D

38. ShortytheFirefighter

Some language may be NSFW. You've been warned.

Subie Lovers likes this.
  39. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Only reason why there is a hike is because some big shot government official said he was going to put an end to it. That doesn't mean that it will happen. I'm sure Congress has a bunch of gun whores in the party.

40. SurlyOldManMN

Friendly reminder:

Keep the conversation to where/what to buy. Not whether to buy.

kongzilla likes this.
  41. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

Back from Bill's. The $139 lower was delaware machine, 3-4 left when I took off. They had 35 or so when I arrived including the RRA that sold out. They also had 7-8 "black rain" lowers for $250 or so. I'm happy, I always eyeballed the ar type rifle in 308 so I brought home a new toy http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=402

What the hell, I'm cofortable sleeping on the couch:) proper pics will be added to the real gun thread but the dogs decided to open presents and destroy the contents while I was gone so time for a little cleanup around the house

42. curly2k3

I love my 300blk, I never considered selling it until the owner of a shop offered to buy it last week, and now with people going insane and spending waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for AR's I've honestly been considering tossing it up on armslist and just see what happens at a high price.

43. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

How about a reasonable price?

44. curly2k3

It's still worth quite a bit to me, personally, and it's got a $600+ barrel on it...so even without gouging the crap out of people on the price, it wouldn't be "cheap" by any means.

45. ShortytheFirefighter

Lucky.

We have great couches, but if I make any more purchases without the Missus knowing she's stated that she'll likely use whatever I bring home on me.

tangledupinblu likes this.