Harbor Freight Coupons/Deals

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Curry, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I thought I would share some info that I have dug up from the cesspool known as the Internet.

Harbor freight is not the best tool shop but they have SOME good stuff and with coupons some really good prices.

These are the two best places to find the coupons you are looking for:

HF garage journal coupon thread

HF slickdeals coupon thread

This is a good thread discussing experiences with specific tools:

HF Pass/Fail Thread

Ctracey218 likes this.
  2. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Go in and sign up for their mailing lists. I get coupons in my e-mail and actual mail every few days. Tons of them. Pretty much any item in the store will be on sale or have a coupon within a month or two.

Mr.Tran likes this.
  3. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I have found a lot of coupons on these sites that are rarely sent out via email or there are better prices than the ones being emailed. YMMV

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Harbor freight is awesome for ratchets and wrenches and sockets and stuff. Price is right, durable enough, if you use super broman dude strength and break one they just give you a new one.

Their torque wrench actually was measured to be more accurate than a snap-on or some other fancy pants billion dollar torque wrench...at initial use. How long that tolerance stays is probably dubious, lol

5. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Yes, I broke 3 bolts with at hf torque wrench (7 years old). I ended up buying a husky one to replace it because they are a lot nicer and they have a lifetime warranty. If you have a torque wrench, have it recalibrated every so often (or go buy a new hf one for 10 bucks)

TMF likes this.
  6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

True story, I witnessed the bolts snapping and I have since forgone my HF torque and picked up a Husky one. The Husky comes with a lifetime warranty, unlike craftsman. Torque wrenches are one tool that I feel aren't worth going cheap on!

7. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

Go for Precision Instruments split beam torque wrenches. Never have to be calibrated, and give a nice click when the torque rating is reached. Only work for right handed (normal bolts). Split beam torque wrenches are by far the best design next to completely digital (unless you work with left hand threads).

I have some HF socket organizers that flex with the weight of the sockets, but are perfect for sitting in the tool chest drawer and keeping everything organized.

8. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

Where's the coupon for bens jack?

9. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Aren't PI torque wrenches $200+ and they are supposed to be calibrated.

its in one of those two threads...

10. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

11. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

12. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a little smaller than mine, but it is rated for more weight. I think this is partially due to the fact that it is shorter and lifts about 3" less high at max lift (but still 6" higher than the aluminum racing jacks).

13. Shancaldazar

If you order from http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=PREC3FR250F they are much cheaper (3/8 drive one is even cheaper), and no they don't have to be calibrated if you get the split beam torque wrenches. Split beam torques are completely welded together when they are manufactured and calibrated at that time. Calibrations last a lifetime because there are no parts that can get out of adjustment. So you really have to try hard (read: break the internal mechanism/cut it in half) before they need recalibration, and you would have to replace the entire wrench anyway because you broke it. They also don't have to be wound down when you are done using them because there is no stress/pressure in the internal mechanism (micrometer click type have springs that can get stressed), and also setting them to the desired torque is easier than a micrometer click type because there is no pressure in the mechanism.

$100 each for an lifetime accurate torque wrench that is many times easier to use than a micrometer click type is worth it. Unless you work with left handed threads.....

Curry likes this.
  14. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I cant speak much on split beam torque wrenches but their site says that they recommend their torque wrenches be recalibrated every 6 months. I know these are a more reliable design but everything is subject to wear.

15. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

16. Shancaldazar

Also worth noting the PI split beams are also rebadged as Snap-on, sold by Matco (under the PI name), so any of those trucks can help you with em too.

17. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

If anyone wants the coupon, please PM me your e-mail.

18. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Why don't you just post it?

19. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Because that requires me to take a screenshot, save the file, upload the file, and then post it. If you send me your e-mail then I will just forward it to you.

20. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

21. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

22. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

So, you can post links to the coupons and I just don't know how?

Both of those jacks look great. I have the more expensive one.

23. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Any ones that have been emailed (click the print button). If you have a PDF/img of a mailer, it easy to upload if you have tapatalk.

24. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

Whelp, someone got the coupon up here for everyone then, I was going to do it tomorrow if no one had. Thanks for the email anyways Ben

25. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

26. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Many of these products have better coupons in those threads right now. Off the top of my head, the gloves and the engine hoist are cheaper, 5.99 and 99.99 respectively.

27. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

3 ton jack stands 15.99

Engine Hoist 99.99

I cant find the gloves coupons but they are in the threads posted in the OP. I will defer to the two threads listed in the OP to find the cheapest prices for any item.

28. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

29. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Mr.Tran likes this.
  30. MNRZR

MNRZR Member

Very true. If it isn't somewhere in the thread at Slickdeals, it probably doesn't exist.

As far as jacks go, I was originally looking at a jack from HF but found a highly rated Arcan jack at Costco that goes for $99. It's not available on the Costco website, but here the same jack at Northern for $159: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345429_200345429

Low profile and decent lift. If purchased at Costco it essentially has a lifetime warranty.

31. Shancaldazar

Love, love, love the arcan jack. The one Costco sells is the newer model which is rated at 3.25 Tons (they got caught over rating the jacks). They are the same as the 3.5 from Northern, but updated to accurately show their lift capability. They actually seems to have good long term reliability unlike most sub $200 jacks.

And before someone starts bashing, I'm sure the HF jacks are overrated too ;)

32. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Picked up the Costco jack on close out for 90 bucks.