Hello from Eagan

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by Ottawa_Boy, May 11, 2020.

1. Ottawa_Boy

Ottawa_Boy New Member

Hello Everyone,

I am so happy to find out this forum. Kudos to Admins...
    I own 06 Subaru Forester X. I fear it has a gasket leak. Its not that bad so far (engine is not overheating or worse) but I want it fixed. Subaru has been a reliable family car and I want it in worry free (it was for a couple of years).

Does anyone have a recommendation of a reasonable priced shop which does a good job? I can be helper (I would love to) if needed. I can get parts as well so just may need manual labor and tools.

Thank you.
    P.S:- I will be posting a few DYI writeups. Hopefully someone can use it.

JGX_SG9 likes this.
  2. 06LGT

06LGT Member

3. JGX_SG9

JGX_SG9 Member

Welcome, from another new guy!

I have an 06 Forester also, and it leaks like crazy. The good news is that 06+ leaks externally, and never had the same issues that 03-05 did where it was silent until it dies. 06+ just leaks oil, and as long as you keep it topped off you shouldn't have an issue. I'm at 260k miles and climbing, no major issues.

Although my knuckles are bloody from constantly knocking on wood after I say things like that...

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. Ottawa_Boy

Ottawa_Boy New Member

Thanks..
    Yeah, I am checking my oil and coolant to the drop ...almost daily. This does gives me comfort.
    I plan on going on a long trips with my Subaru.
    If I understand you correctly, as long as I keep it topped up, knock wood!; Should be ok.
    In other words, its not an urgent repair...
    THanks

JGX_SG9 likes this.