Helmets

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by AWD 101, Jan 14, 2005.

1. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

apologies in advance if this is OT, but it pertains to upcoming events so here goes...

I'm in the market for a helmet or two.
    Is there any place in the twin cities that you would recommend for trying on helmets? I want to be sure of getting the right fit for my head and for the car - because I'm 6'3" and need to be somewhat close to the wheel for performance events (as opposed to lying back further) I need to find something that doesn't stick up too high. I used a loaner at a rallycross event for a ride along and had to compress enough that it would be very uncomfortable if I were driving. (But it sure was fun :D)

Other issue is level of certification - the M2000 or whatever is current seems to be 10% the cost of the SA helmets which are required (from what I can tell) for track days. I assume the M is for motorcycle, but I could be wrong there... For rallycross and autocross it looks like the M helmets are sufficient.

I may end up getting two in the long run - one M (open face) and one SA (closed) since I don't want to make the investment in the better helmet just yet, and it would be nice to have a second for a rider/loaner in the future if I pursue this further.

Lastly, I have a beg to throw in - if anyone has a spare helmet they can loan me for one or two events this winter I would be very appreciative, maybe even work out some reasonable rental (or heck, if anyone knows any rental places for helmets that would be open in the winter.) First event is the quattro club ice driving school on the 23rd, so if you can help me out I'd need to know soon. Could be that I didn't get my registration in on time though, and it also could be that they will have loaners there, but I'm waiting to hear back from them.

So, any perspectives welcome... Just wanted to see what you all thought.
    Stay warm! ;)

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I got mine at Bob's Bike Shop in Little Canada, Snell 2000, they have many others there as well.

3. Beej

Beej New Member

I have a spare size L M2000 helmet you are more than welcome to borrow if you need to. I am 6' 5" and I fit with it on in my RS, but I have a bride seat that lowers me quite a bit. (I am at the U of M if you want to try it prior to the event on the 23rd)

Let me know! Brian

4. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Dennis Krik in Rush city (60 miles north of the cities on 35). They will have the best selection and the lowest prices. You can check it out on the net also.

Russ

5. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

Huch much they run for it in any helemts

6. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by tbone

Huch much they run for it in any helemts
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tommy, are you asking the price ranges for helmet?

I've seen helmet in the $30-$500 range. I got mine for $75. w/ M2000/DOT3 rating.

You can go cheap but you get what you paid. Watch for helmet rating because some auto event has rating requirement.

Happy helmet shopping!

7. Beej

Beej New Member

Yeah M2000's are cheap. I got my SA95 rated Arai in Japan for $80!!! I couldn't believe it, normally they go for like $300+

8. Gspot

Gspot New Member

I think the requirement for autocross is Snell 2000 or newer.

9. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

Snell 2000 for autocross? So that's the more expensive/higher safety category right? What happens when the new 2005 rating comes through, are they going to require that within the next few years?
    Thanks for the input everyone! I'll let you know how the shopping goes.

Beej - if you see this in time bring that helmet along tomorrow, they haven't gotten back to me yet on the loaner helm situation.

10. capone

capone Guest

APEXI SPG in Oakdale. The guy who owns it is really really nice and races P-cars.

11. Beej

Beej New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by AWD 101

Beej - if you see this in time bring that helmet along tomorrow, they haven't gotten back to me yet on the loaner helm situation.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Gotcha! I'll be the tall guy with the blue RS. I plan on getting there around 8:15 or so.