HELP PLEASE: 04 WRX Rough Idle at low RPM's, sometimes stalls

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by bbnhusky, May 7, 2011.

1. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

I have searched around all over the place to find an answer and still have had no luck. I am experiencing a rough idle at low RPM's, it mostly happens when I am in 1st Gear or Reverse. The RPM's will go to and sometimes below the line right above the line for 0, but mostly when I'm in 1st or Reverse. I have taken off the stock intercooler and cleaned everything and made sure there were no holes and everything was clamped on very tight. I also checked to see if I have a vacuum leak and I could not find any. I also just ran seafoam through the engine, it seemed to help the normal idle, but I am still having the problem. The car will sometimes die when the idle gets very low, I need some help trying to figure out whats wrong with my car, and I need to fix it asap.

Here are the mods I have installed on my 04 WRX Wagon:
    GM boost control solenoid + vacuum hoses
    Newer TD04 turbocharger (w/ approx. 30K miles)
    Stage 2+ GMBCS Bullwinkle Tune
    catless uppipe
    Invidia high-flow catted downpipe
    custom 3" catback w/ Magnaflow muffler
    K&N air filter
    Group N engine mounts
    Kartboy hard poly front shifter bushings

Thank you very much in advance.
    Brian

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

whens the last time the spark plugs were changed? when was the lasst time u cleaned the maf sensor and iacv. Where was the sea foam put into the car at?

3. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

As for the seafoam I was told by someone to use the BPV hose, thats where I put it. MAF Sensor was just cleaned last night when this started, I have not cleaned the IACV, but I am looking up now how to clean it. As for the spark plugs they were replaced in Nov of 08.

4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

if cleaning the iacv dose not work i would look into changing the plugs depending on how much u drive they are most likely due or over due for change.

5. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

how hard is it to change out the plugs? thank you very much for your help too!

6. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

7. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

I dont think I will be able to find a place around town that has one to sell one. I called autozone and they dont sell that part, and the dealership in Bloomington is closed already. Does anyone know where I can find one, or how bad would it be if I opened it cleaned it and used the old one til monday when I can buy one from the dealership?

8. Mr.Tran

Don't even open it if you don't have a gasket. Maybe one of the other dealerships are open later, Burnsville?

9. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

ok thanks I will try.

10. Mr.Tran

Np just follow the walkthrough, id suggest spraying some deep creep or other lubricant on the screws. I had to use the pliers+screwdriver method. The screws are way too soft, so you'll definitely want a couple of new ones and washers too.

11. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

looks like they are closed. So you would not recommend me taking it apart without the new gasket correct?

12. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yeah, never a good idea to re-use gaskets. You'll likely destroy it during the removal anyway. It's a rubber gasket IIRC, and rubber gaskets when they've been heated and cooled will become somewhat brittle.

13. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

okay sounds good, looks like I will try dealing with it the best I can (I hate working weekends). Thank you all for your help if you can think of anything else that would help that would be great.

14. Mr.Tran

No definitely not, the old gasket may be broke/torn or may have expanded so much it's not reusable. Just wait until monday and save yourself the headache. You'll have coolant leaking out if the gasket isn't properly seated.

15. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

Is there any damage that will happen if I drive a lot on it until monday? or would it be better to not drive it as much as possible?

16. Mr.Tran

It just depends on IF that's the issue or not, obviously until the problem is solved, the less you drive the better. It might be perfectly fine to drive, however I'm the rather safe than sorry type.

17. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

okay sounds good, I will plan to buy the gasket on monday morning and replace that, I will go and buy spark plugs too, any kinds that are the better ones to buy? and anywhere in particular to go and buy them? Thanks

18. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

sure u dont have a vacuum leak? i know you said you checked, but how sure are you?

19. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

20. bbnhusky

bbnhusky Active Member

not 100% but I had 2 friends that both have had and/or currently have a car with a turbo and know how to test them.