HELP: RE axle noises

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Dynapar, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I was hearing some odd clunking noises from my engine compartment, so i took a look, and saw two torn boots on my axles. no bigie right? thats what i thought. so sunday i changed out both front axles, no big deal. go for the test drive to listen for noises. dont make it out of my driveway before i get the annoying clicking/whistling/clunk noise. its constant and changes pitch with the rotation of the wheel. my dad suggested it was a bad axle, so today monday we went to napa and exchanged it. put it in in no time flat. test drive!! again at the end of my driveway i could still hear the noise, but this time it was alot quieter and kind of intermitent. i drove on it today, and now the noise doesnt happen very much and its real quiet but its still there. is this something i should be worried about? does anyone have any idea whats causing this noise?

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Sorry Bro, I've not encountered this before. :mad: I hope some of the other more experienced on this forum can helpout, I'd be interested in finding out myself.

Good luck,

C

3. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

i believe its your hub bearings. they may be bad.

4. Dynapar

hub bearings huh? are those difficult to change?

5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

dang martin [xx(], I'd agree, sounds like bearings to me, and I'm pretty sure you need a press to get those out. Jeff might have (or have access to) one but we had to pay the big bucks to have Tonka Tranny do my mom's.

just thought of something, when did you notice that, was it after our last trip to Watertown? that's when my CV got F$#@ed up so I wonder if they were related. }:)

6. Dynapar

no chux this was recent. maybe a four days ago i started hearing the noise. my boots could have been torn before, i am not sure. i think my nieghbor may have a press but i am not sure. cause i think i was going to use it when i was replacing my lug bolts. whats involved in redoing ht ehub bearings? just repack them or get new ones?

7. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

im no subaru tech. give me a honda and i can do anything. the guy to ask would be todd or russ. you might be able to rent a tool at auto zone to pull it out. they have free rentals. i dont know if it has a bearing that you can just take to napa and press it in or if its the whole hub. i used to own a wrx but i nevered really paid any attention to it. private message the two pros. they can probably tell you.

8. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

I'd like to hear the noise for my self.

Swing by my work and I'll take a listen.

9. Dynapar

where abouts do you work, and what time?

10. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Dave Steffens Automotive
    1850 New Brighton Blvd.
    Minneapolis, MN 55418

Between 8am and 4pm...

11. Dynapar

i will try to make it down there some time this week i am not sure when though

12. Dynapar

WOOOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOO:D:D:D:D i think i solved my noise problem. when i as taking out the old axle i needed to use a pickle fork. i was pushing ont he fork and without knowing it i bent the flimsy metal gaurd that is directly behind the rotor. so when i drove the back of my rotor rubed ont eh little shield causing horid noise.

13. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Now Don't that FEEL GOOD?
    :D:D:D

Finally relieved of stress ey? Now install those coilovers and you'll be 10x as happy:D. Hopefully nothing goes wrong

14. Dynapar

yah it feels real good to know my car wont randomly explode when i am going down the road lol:cool:. chux posted, we are going to try the coilovers tommorow. i hope they work.

15. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Good Luck:cool:

16. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Martin,

Good job finding that out.

C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.