Help Save Legal Public Offroad Trails!

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by morganm, Oct 7, 2004.

1. morganm

morganm New Member

The Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources is going through and doing an inventory and reclassification of all state forests. As a member of the MN4WD Association I signed up to inventory Whiteface River state forest.

What we will be doing is offroading the trails all day and marking on maps what ones we want to keep. We then submit written comments to the MN.DNR requestiong a re-review of these trails for consideration into the final draft plan.

Current draft plans from the DNR are relased and can be found here: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/mgmtplans/ohv/designation/status.html To put it simply we are getting nothing compared to ATV and dirt bikes (OHM). We fought hard in one forest last round; had written comments and we had represenatives at the public hearing who debated for more trails... we were awarded 5 miles of truck (ORV) only trails. Five is better than 0 that they originaly drafted but thats not much when they turn around and award 70+ to ATV/OHM.

Here is a map from the I35 split south of the cities to White Face River state forest. This is 206 miles so about 3 hours and 30 min with no stops.
    [​IMG]

Cutting through Duluth; switching from I35 north to HWY 53 North
    [​IMG]

Closeup of pulling into the state forest
    [​IMG]

MN DNR draft... notice all trials are red? That means they drafted us NO TRAILS! I'll have a couple nice copies of this printed. Looks bad here due to optimization for internet.
    [​IMG]

I called the state forest managers office for the area asking about camping. She said that the Whiteface River forest is managed federaly even tho its a state forest. There are camping spots, no reservation, just show up and camp! Bare minimal facilities available.

2. nickmsn2

nickmsn2 Guest

When will this be happening? Not that I own an ORV, but you seem to enjoy it alot and I wouldnt mind helping out in some way.

3. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

WRX = ORV !!!!!

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

lol martin!

Well, this particular event has happened, they went last weekend, and ended up going to a different place, a little place just south of here (duluth) so I was unable to tag along :(!

and in all reality, you'd be suprised, I've seen martins little impreza (pre-coilovers of course) do some pretty crazy stuff, and only do minor damage to the rocker panels :p

5. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

hey the front wheels were only off the ground for a bit ok. and that dent in my floor poped right back out. i did beat toms friends ram 1500 up that hill.

6. morganm

morganm New Member

Sorry guys should have replied sooner; it was last weekend :(

I will always post these events here however so keep an eye out.

Somethings coming up in the near future are a public hearings with the DNR so we can plead our case directly for more ORV trails. We will be bringing written comments, revised maps, and verbal comments. So far it's actually working and we are getting some more trails! Nothing compared to ATV and OHM riders but atleast we are saving some :D

7. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Pictures of you guys going at it? :D

8. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kickin_81

Pictures of you guys going at it? :D
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No pics :(