Help with 2006 B9 Tribeca, Head Gasket?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by El Scorcho, Apr 3, 2018.

1. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

This is my wife's vehicle and for a few weeks, maybe a month, at cold starts there's been a large plume of smoke out of the exhaust. After a little research I'm guessing it might be a head gasket leak.

We had to take it to Minnetonka Subaru for some recall repairs (airbag and hood latch) and asked them to take a look at it. They couldn't give a definitive answer as to the cause, but told my wife that it would be a minimum $5K to dig into it and repair. That had us scrambling and looking at cars for sale and getting depressed.

I'm reaching out to the Subaru community on ideas. I want to take it somewhere for a second opinion. I'd be willing to get it repaired, but not for anywhere near $5K. We don't really want to get a new car right now.

I should mention that this started after my wife went far too long between oil changes, leading to a CEL light and going into limp mode. Got the oil changed and the light reset, and it's been running fine other than the big puff of blue smoke.

Do you think it's the head gasket? Something else? Suggestions on where to take it for a second opinion?HELP!

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca
    127,000 miles

Thanks,
    Karl

2. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

Well, I know I just posted this 44 minutes ago, but I'm going to take it to David Wray in Buffalo for a second opinion.

Aegis and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

At least I'm not the only one. Hooray for Subaru!

4. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Blue smoke it typically an indicator of burning oil. Coolant (headgasket) smoke it typically white. Wherever you take it, they should do a compression and leak down test to see if they can narrow down the cause/source of the smoke you're seeing on cold starts. I'm not sure how close you are to Osseo, but JM Auto seems to be the go-to for non-dealer Subaru repair in the Metro area.

5. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

To be honest, I saw it as white smoke. My father in law said it was blue. Certainly didn't smell like burning oil when it would leave a cloud in the garage. Regardless, I'm hoping it can be fixed for something closer to $2K than $5K. I'm west of the west metro so Buffalo is more convenient for me and I remember some good things said on the forum about David Wray in the past so I figured I'd give them a shot.

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

David Wray is the man, so you are good to go there! He rebuilt a trans for me.

I was going to suggest JM Automotive in Osseo. They run a great business and would take care of you as well! Maybe next time.

Aegis likes this.
  7. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Shancaldazar likes this.
  8. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

So got the Tribeca back. They installed a new PCV valve because of sludge build up, flushed the engine oil and replaced oil with 10w-30 high mileage oil. All in an effort to try to save it. If it continues to smoke then its determined to be internal and engine would need to be replaced. So fingers crossed...

Very happy with David Wray Auto.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. housemusic1

I think there was a Subaru service bulletin for the Tribeca PCV/PCV hoses becoming blocked with sludge/causing smoking on start up.

EricS and El Scorcho like this.
  10. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

Started up great this morning without any smoke! Hopefully that's all it was. If it is I'll be very disappointed in Minnetonka Subaru for not at least trying that. Speaking of the dealership, one other thing that Mike Wray mentioned is that the recall replacement of the hood latch assembly that they did was completely loose. Mike wiggled it a bit and it fell right off. He said it could have easily done that while driving and the hood would have flipped up. Thankfully Mike caught that and bolted it up with some loc-tight so that won't happen. He definitely earned future business from me when it's time to do the timing belt in my Forester which is at 193,000 miles. Mike mentioned I'm probably looking at head gasket replacement as well for my 08 Fozzy.

11. housemusic1

I avoid "stealerships" like the plague. Even getting recall work done takes me a long time to get off my ass and do it. Unless of course it's recall work that is a real safety issue. I don't know exactly what kind of Subaru training program is in place for their technicians, but it's hit or miss at all dealerships. I've only used Morrie's Minnetonka Subaru for my airbag recall work, and my glove box hasn't latched properly ever since. Anything under the hood that I can't do on my own (which is most stuff), she goes over to JM. Honestly, my best experiences have been from weekend warrior mechanics that do work on the side. The cheapest quote I could find for spark plug replacement on my H6 was like $450. I found a guy in Ramsey that works on Subarus out of a garage in his backyard, brought him the parts, and he did the plugs for $100. Sometimes Craigslist pays off! Glad to hear that the Tribeca appears to be running better. Definitely keep us posted on how she progresses.

El Scorcho likes this.
  12. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

sounds like when my catch can froze solid and turned the sti into a fog maghine.

13. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

H6 head gasket problems usually manifest as running hot under load. Usually on the freeway. They are an enormous amount of work, as the timing chain system is pretty complicated, and has to be removed completely. We had a customer here with a leaking gasket on their '03 Outback H6, and we just swapped in a low mileage JDM engine.

Puff of smoke on startup does sound more like PCV or intake valve seals. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it unless it begins to have other symptoms.

El Scorcho likes this.
  14. El Scorcho

El Scorcho Active Member

Thanks for the info. So far everything seems fine. We were also advised to keep an eye on the oil consumption and check it every 1,000 miles.

Chux likes this.
  15. Rudie

Rudie New Member

Housemusic1---would you be willing to share the name of the guy in Ramsey you used? I have a 2002 Outback with error codes PO302, 304 and 306. I understand there could be multiple reasons for the codes, but bought plugs and ignition coils for the car and realized the job is over my head. I would like to avoid a dealership if I can. Thanks.

16. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Check out JM Automotive in Osseo if you can’t find the Craigslist guy. Jesse is awesome and runs a Subaru specific shop. He knows these cars inside and out and can turn them around pretty quick without compromising quality of work. :thumbup:

https://www.jmautomn.com/

17. housemusic1

Since you have codes, and bought parts, give JM a call. They'll install your own parts, and can probably even diagnose other issues that you may be unaware you had going on.