help with PS3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by subynate, Aug 2, 2009.

1. subynate

subynate Well-Known Member

so the other day i was using my ps3 to watch a movie like i always do everything was in working order. well today i turned everything on in the same order i always do but my tv is not showing anything from my hdmi input. i tried switching the cable around and also tried the other hdmi input still nothing. im thinking it is the cable any suggestions?

2. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

do you have another hdmi cable source? If so try that with the same cable and input on the tv. if that does not work it is a problem with the tv, if it works your looking at a ps3 issue.

3. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Try hooking it up with RCA or component cables to see if it's a setting problem.

4. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Yeah try this.^^^

Otherwise, turn the machine off from the back switch. Now turn it back on while holding the power button on the front of the machine for about 5 seconds until you hear it beep a few times. Now it just reset all the video/audio settings back to how it came brand new. Now you should be able to see the video via the rca or the hdmi. This has happened to me multiple times.

5. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

this happened to me before... i did the same thing Dream is saying. I hope that is your only problem. The video output reset worked for mine. I don't know why or how PS3 just decides to change output settings.

6. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I think what happens is, when you shut the machine off using the front button, somtimes people may hold the button too long and it resets the output, defalting back to RCA.

7. subynate

no dice yet i tried dreams idea but no avail, also i have no idea where my rca's are.

8. ofspunk7

RCA is another way to connect to your TV like HDMI.

Did the PS3 beep when you were holding down the power button? It should beep after you hold it down for 5 or 10 seconds. I believe it shows this in the owners manual.

9. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

You have to have the RCA's to do what I told you to do.

10. subynate

ok so thats why it didnt work. but yes my ps3 beeps turns on and off and i can hear the disk in there.

11. ofspunk7

you don't need RCA to reset the video output. i had my HDMI hooked up, reset the video and it auto-detected the HDMI and adjusted the setting so i could see without hooking up the RCA.

but if you need RCA you can borrow mine.... i beleive i have the ones that came with the PS3. i am also pretty sure i have component cables if you want to try those. getting more tattoo work today so call or text me... 612-242-9789

derek

12. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Yeah mine auto-detects too, but 2 times it didnt so to be safe you might want to try RCA's before you go returning your PS3.

13. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

Dreamy is right, it doesn't work every time.

14. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

if you leave it off for a bit (like a minute) will it increase the chances of it auto-detecting right away?
    My pc does weird **** like that, and won't detect my monitor when I reset it, but if I shut it off and go do something else for a minute, it works fine every time. I don't pretend to understand, it just works :rolleyes: