Hesitation once warm

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by imprezed, Nov 13, 2008.

1. imprezed

imprezed Well-Known Member

I have a 91 legacy turbo, and it's got a bad hesitation problem once it warms up. When i start it in the morning it runs fine, but once i drive it for a couple miles, it has a hesitation. The thing is, i was watching my boost gauge and if it's at 0 or vacuum, it's doesn't really hesitate, but once it hits any boost it starts jumping and chugging. i took the intake tube off and noticed that there was some oil on the walls of it and on the outlet of the turbo. Would that cause a problem? i was thinking of getting a little bit bigger turbo that in better shape and see if that works. let me know what you guys think, i'm not really sure at all what this could be. i replaced the fuel filter already, hoping it was just an easy fix.

The guy i bought the car from said that as far as he knows it's still the stock turbo and has never been rebuilt.

Also, the guy gave me an tmic but i can't figure out how to route any kind of piping in from the turbo outlet to the intercooler inlet, any ideas?

Thanks!

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Its probably time for plugs/wires, and maybe a coil, they are probably really old, ignition problems seem to rear thier ugly heads under load, like boost.

3. imprezed

sorry, i already did the plugs and wires, i just wasn't looking forwarding to spending the money on a coil. Do you know of any mods i would have to do to put a td04 or vf22 on that car?

4. AWDimprezaL

I have a good t leg coil i would sell for $20 and you would want to find a td04L with the 90* inlet, that would be an almost direct swap

5. modsuby

modsuby New Member

what kind of plugs and wires did you put in it?

6. imprezed

i didn't put them in, the guy i bought it from put them in a few weeks before i bought it, i haven't taken them out yet. i was going to check the gaps.

7. modsuby

modsuby New Member

check if they are factory NGK or aftermarket. most subarus do not like anything but factory plugs, especially Bosch

8. imprezed

do you know anyone that has a td04L, i was looking at it and what angle needs to be 90? the outlet intake outlet looks like anyother subaru, and exhaust outlet is right out the back of the turbo and exhaust inlet is straight up from the bottom. aren't all turbo intake inlets straight in? or is that what needs to have a weird 90* bend on it?

9. imprezed

Ok, so i checked and double checked the plugs, they are brand new, new wires, new coil. But the problem is, is that after i tinkered around for awhile, it ran great for two days, but i noticed that the boost would hit almost 12-13psi. Now it's back to running weird, it almost chuggs and jumps when i'm on the throttle. Would this be from a bad turbo? that's what one of my buddies told me, the turbo does blow some oil, but i don't know if that would cause this. do you guys have any ideas, i'm just drawing blanks now..

10. AWDimprezaL

Does the turbo make lots of noise? @ 13 psi you are hitting factory fuel cut.

11. imprezed

well you can hear it spooling a ton, but it has never hit fuel cut that i've noticed.

12. aspiringRexer

aspiringRexer Member

Perhaps the previous owner messed around with the tune? A bad tune under boost can cause it to lug and shake around a ton.

13. AWDimprezaL

there would be no tuning of an 0bd1 subaru. At least not untill very recently.

14. imprezed

correct, no tuning. i'm just wondering if it's worth it to get a different turbo and pipe it in or not. Could an ignition module cause it? i thought when those went bad that just quit. i didn't think they slowly crapped out.

15. AWDimprezaL

hows your fuel mileage? try taking the vaccume line off of the fuel pressure regulator, see if any fuel comes out, or if it smells gassy.