Holiday Unlimited Car Wash

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by gc8, Nov 21, 2013.

1. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I searched and found it it mentioned in a lot of older threads, but for some reason all of those threads had been locked.

Anyway, what are your opinions on it? Worth it? There's a Holiday very close to home that participates in this program, so the idea would be to stop a couple of times a week to keep the salt/grime off of everything. For those who have done it, is it worth getting "The Works" or is "The Basic" just fine?

I figured it might be worth it in the Dec-April time-frame where the road gunk is at its worst.

Anyone work at Holiday corporate who might want to pitch the idea of a MNSubaru discount? :cool:

2. Slomander

Slomander Active Member

I had The Works package for my RDX when I first purchased it. The only issue I had was that wash quality depends on the Holiday you go to. If you find a good one then it might be ok.

I had it for a few months before switching to the Mister Car Wash unlimited wash package. That was a better wash imo. Aside from the normal blow drying of the car, they hand dry it as well.

Edit: I forgot to add that the main reason I got the unlimited wash was to remove the salt/grime from the every few days as you stated. The Works package worked well for me to wash away the winter attacks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. subiet

subiet Well-Known Member

The wife and I put it on both our Subbies during the month of December-April. I think it's worth it if you go at least once a week, sometimes I go twice a day :) The one I usually go to has the spray jets low enough to get to my underbody which I think it's the most important part to keep clean during the salt months. Even with The Works it will never be sparkly clean as a hand wash, but who wants to do that below zero.

4. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

:uhhuh:someone on here has the free car wash code**************jk **************D

5. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I refrained from including that in my original post :)

I'm not looking for a sparkling car...I just want the salt off, especially the underside. The Holiday near me has a touchless system. I thought I heard something on the radio about buy one month, get another month free...but I can't find anything online about that.

phi11 likes this.
  6. MNRZR

MNRZR Member

I'd sign up too if I could find that buy 1 mo. get one free deal.

7. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

It is buy 1 get 1 free for new customers. ...

8. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

i usually go once a week when nice enough to mister car wash in heights here for the free vacuums.

$5 dollah for unlim vacuum and basic wash

9. tonyM

tonyM Well-Known Member

I have it in the winter. I'm lazy as hell when it's cold, so it comes in VERY handy.

I use it almost every day. well worth the money in my opinion.

10. tehfuzz

I am curious to see what prices they have to offer for that.

11. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

12. tehfuzz

13. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I usually have one during the winter and tend to go through several times a week if it's crappy weather. I like being able to have the salt sprayed off on a regular basis.

14. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

So I guess my next question would be how effective is it at getting the salt off? Does it spray under the car too? And do you all just get the basic $19.99/mo package?

15. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I think you have to get the works package to get the under carriage spray.

16. subiet

subiet Well-Known Member

That is correct. You can use any other levels lower than the Works as well if you're in a hurry. Compared to the basic, The Works adds the side/underbody spray, extra pass of shampoo, wax?, and a colorful cereal shampoo. Yum Trix cereal. I usually bring Milk and open the roof when it passes by.

Kneel Weiß, Legacy25GT and tehfuzz like this.
  17. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Go with the works. Underbody washes are almost mandatory in this state.

phi11 likes this.
  18. b00stWrx11

b00stWrx11 Member

Yes! Yes, i agree. I first went with the basic, then switch to the works. Its worth the extra 10 bucks. I go through several times also well if the weather is bad. One thing i did run into is, don't wash the car and leave it outside when its really really cold. My door handle cable gets stuck.

19. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

I'm basically repeating everyone, but what the hell. I've had the works package since I've owned my car (2 years) and use it a lot in the winter for obvious reason. As someone mentioned, some places are better then others. The one I frequent has an attendant who offers wipes for your dash and they "pre wash" your car. If you want to get the **** off your car on a regular basis this is the way to go, pays for itself and then some.

20. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I should sign up for one of these this year, thanks for the reminder!

21. Volatle

Volatle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the cold, and want my southern car to be rust free!
    Also, curious to how strict they are on the one car deal?

22. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

They request your license plate number. Then they issue a RFID tag to that vehicle and you have to stick it to your window. Pretty sure the policy is for one vehicle only, but I could be wrong as I rarely read the fine print!

23. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Where are you going? You're in Eagan right?

24. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

The store on Diffley just east of 35E by the Kowalski's. There is another wash on Diffley and Lexington that participates, but it's a touchless and pretty worthless compared to the other.

25. Volatle

Volatle Well-Known Member

Is the one off pilot knob and 35 good?

26. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Never been. Only certain stores participate in the program and I'm not sure that's one of them. There is a list of stores online.

SurlyOldManMN likes this.
  27. tehfuzz

and does this RFID tag compatible with going to any holiday gas station in the metro area?

28. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

kongzilla and tehfuzz like this.
  29. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I use it 2/3 times a week and love it. Then in the spring you can swap it over to pay as you go. When fall rolls around again I email them and ask when they are runinng their special. Then I activate it back to unlimited and get a free month. I have had my pass since I picked up my car in 2009 and I love it for the winter. The underbody of my car shows it was worth it... very clean.

Also sign up for their email list and get $0.06 coupons every week or two. Then just show them the email (you don't need to print them out) and save on E85.

No corp and franchise use different passes. The corp ones have better washes typically. Franchise ones usually only work at that gas station or gas stations owned by that person.

boone1186 and SurlyOldManMN like this.
  30. tehfuzz

Thanks for all the info. I was hoping that they would do a good enough job with the under body spray. Ill be filling out an app probably today or tomorrow depending on what is happening.

31. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

i have works plus, underbody is nice but it is very brief as you drive in. i prefer the touchless ones

32. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

33. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

I bought one last week and go buy the one on 96 and 35W north everyday heading into work.

Its going to be tough to use the sensor thing on multiple cars. It literally sticks to the inside of your windshield. I dont know if you can take it off or not. Maybe attach it to a piece of plexi-glass and you can swap cars, Im not sure though

34. tehfuzz

I think it said it was bound to a license plate number too. Not sure how they would keep track of that.

35. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Oh, ha, yeah I guess I should read it sometime

36. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I just went and got one of these and the attendant physically put the RFID sticker on the inside of your window and it doesn't look like they intend for you to swap between vehicles.
    In the past I have put those national park window sticker things on some seran wrap to be able to switch between vehicles easily but I feel like that would be against the EULA for these unlimited washes.

37. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

I heard a radio add this morning, for new subscribers, you will get one month free.

38. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I will have to see if they gave me a free month...

39. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

When I was all signed up the lady said she needed to put it in my car and I told her I could and she said no, we do it to make sure it goes to the registered car

40. jing123

jing123 Well-Known Member

what if your car is lowered what is the preferred height in order to go through the wash i want one but with my lip my car might be to low

41. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

So, from what I've gathered from this thread..

Yes, the unlimited car wash is worth it but get the Works to take advantage of the underbody spray. If you sign up soon (not sure on timeline) then you get another month free. Also, don't expect to be able to use this across other vehicles.

Any other wise words?

boone1186 likes this.
  42. 4drcivicmaster

4drcivicmaster Well-Known Member

Just signed up for the works today. There's a nice Touch free on my way to and from work on 94 and manning just east of Woodbury.

43. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I have the basic on my car. I have thought about upgrading to the works. Not sure if you can do that!

The dryer suck, but that is expected with any auto wash. The underbody was at the Holidays up here isn't to great.

44. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I too, have the "works" package. I like the underbody spray, and the touchless washes.

This may be a dumb question, but is there such thing as going too much? I have a friend with a white 2.5i who used it one winter frequently (min. 1x/week). He had hail damage to his car after a storm, and brought it in to the body shop. Under the high powered lights, they said that there was a "pink hue" that probably was from using the carwash so much. I also feel like it can gunk up the light lenses too, but maybe mine have just worn off their polish/protector over the years.

What about about any sealant in the paint, or eventual wear on the paint? Is that something that can be washed off with enough trips through?

I usually keep mine up year round, and do a solid clean inside and out myself, or take it to Mister Carwash for a heavier clean, about once a season. I have enjoyed the pass, and had a nice Holiday by my old place on Hamline Ave in St. Paul, and now have one on Cedar Ave. in S. Mpls and that has been convenient and usually pretty quick.

45. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

yeah you can, call this 952 830-1616

Jim C likes this.