Hood scoop in the winter.

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by titanium, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanium

titanium New Member

Do you guys usally block it off so your engine bays dont get filled with road salt?

Also first post derailage but I dont want to make a whole new thread just to ask if the steelies and tires from this thread

http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4159

Would fit my 03 WRX without any issues?

2. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

my scoop is currently blocked with the factory piece. Well, only because there isn't an intercooler there. If i had one i'd leave it open.

3. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I never put anything in my scoop and I never had any problems. You can get a mesh piece to put in there to block some of the bigger rocks/salt chunks.

Not sure if those will fit or not, sorry.

4. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

i'm almost positve that NO 15inchers except the rally 15"s will fit on a wrx.

5. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Oh n03s!11

6. titanium

titanium New Member

lol nice. Its not the water I'm worried about though its the salt :/.

7. MNAutomatic

MNAutomatic New Member

Drive it and dont worry about it...have put my wrx through two winters now and the only problem I have had is my clear coat cracking on my CF hood. Luckily it was just on my scoop, something I plan on replacing when I do my next steps

8. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

If I were you, I woulnn't block the intercooler. Performance is affected and might cause pinging if the engine bay gets very hot. This makes a nice inter-heater. :p

AFAIK, the intercooler is aluminum. Aluminum doesn't rust and won't get affected. The other components in the engine bay that may be affected is the exhaust side of the turbo, downpipe, strut top bolts, other bolts, etc. Over the years, these will rust and will need replacement but it's better than a detonated engine.

9. titanium

titanium New Member

Yeah that was my fear if it was going to get covered up.

What about under the IC though? Is there a channel to guid the water out or does it just drip ontop of whatevers below it.

10. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

It drips on what is below it...which is the transmission and the back of the engine block. Neither of which will be affected by water dripping on it.

11. bluebaru06

bluebaru06 New Member

There shouldn't be anything that is affected by water coming in your hood scoop otherwise driving in the rain would be a problem.

I've gone through 4 winters with a Scoob and hood scoop and have never had any troubles.

12. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

3 full winters with the car, all of them with the larger STI scoop...problems related to it never once occurred to me. If you are concerned with salt, wash the engine bay periodically with some Simple Green.

There is no reason to be worried at all, water gets in there a little when it rains and won't do a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.