how to convert awd to rwd???

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Battle Scar, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battle Scar

Battle Scar New Member

im thinking of gettin a old school impreza L or the old school legacy turbo. but i want to make it a drift car. so how can i convert it from awd to rwd? if i get a L then i can put my stock ej25 block in it then put some high compression pistons in it to make it a na beast, and maybe ej25 heads too.

2. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

i think i would just buy a rwd car

3. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

I know with the DSMs it was as simple as welding a plug on the center diff, but with the Subaru units I don't know. Why don't you set the 240 up as a drift car?

4. Battle Scar

Battle Scar New Member

i got a 240 drift car already, but i want something different then anybody eles and im a subaru guy.

5. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I'll have to look, there was a company that made a RWD conversion that was reversable. Was pretty expensive, but it was quality lookin' stuff.

6. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RallyNavvie

I know with the DSMs it was as simple as welding a plug on the center diff, but with the Subaru units I don't know. Why don't you set the 240 up as a drift car?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For DSMs that's only on special JDM Galant trannies.. VERY rare. Usually for DSMs you just take a Mazda or Might Max tranny (they bolt right up) and turn the motor 90*.

I'd say your best bet, if you really want to do this is; find a tranny from another manuf. that's rear wheel and will bolt up with maybe an adapter plate. However, this will take A LOT of time, junkyard digging and research.

7. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I have my AWD L tranny still. If you want to get at it and weld teh center diff, you can. That was what I was thinking about doing to it. Either I weld the center diff, and build it back up and make that tranny a RWD tranny, OR if no one buys it later, I might just build it up with Type RA gears, new syncros, backing rings, 4.444, cusco tarmac center diff, 1way front LSD, and have at it!

8. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FuJi K

I have my AWD L tranny still. If you want to get at it and weld teh center diff, you can.

Wouldn't that lock the diff and make it an actual 4x4 instead of AWD, and not RWD? Even if you do weld it, what are you going to do about the half shafts? I wouldn't think it would be as simple as "plugging" the holes left.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

yes, if you weld your center diff in an awd car, you get true, non-switchable 4wd, then you could pull a front axle, allowing the front diff to spin freely (assuming it's not an LSD in which case you would have to pull both front axles), therefore sending all of the power to the back. Basically, it's a rough do-it-yourself project.

But...there are other options

you could get an older true 4WD turbo subie, preferrably a wagon (light rear end), and pull a front axle, and engage the transfer case. This is what I have now (minus the turbo part), this allows you to take advantage of the front e-brake for brakestands, and if you use it carefully it would be very helpful in a drift.

OR get a NON turbo one, with a blown motor, swap an EJ motor in it (with an adapter plate from John Mudrat on Ultimate Subaru), pull a front axle. Advantage here being: Lo range RWD (only non-turbo models), and EJ torque! this has been done, it's called the doomwagon, here's a nifty vid: http://www.shift-lock.net/oilcover/Doomwagon.wmv

OR Get a Dual Range 4WD tranny converted for EJ use from John Mudrat (again....he's a god in the world of custom subarus), without the front LSD, and, again, not put in a front axle.

If that isn't enough info, join ultimatesubaru.net, and ask there, there's a TON of info there!

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

yea, weld the center diff, and take out the front diff so the pinion gear won't be able to spin anything. You CAN plug it up with the ends of the cv axle, well used ones. Just break the bearing and joint, take out the shaft, and use the end to plug in and put the pin in so it stays.

11. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Fue, what shape is that gearbox in (dare I ask)?

12. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

it wouldnt hold up, the rear end is meant for half of the power that any of the engines are putting down, the rear driveshafts are tiny, it would be a mess, not a drift car, i dont see it working without alot of money, and headaches

13. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RallyNavvie

Fue, what shape is that gearbox in (dare I ask)?
    It needs new backing rings, and 3-4 shift fork. Since I've learned to double clutch like 3 months after I got the car, I've been doing it since on EVERY downshift. It's become a habit. lol But I broke it when I was playing in snow. I was going into 3rd, but it didn't go in and I let go of the clutch and gassed it. That's when it grinned bad up to 5k rpms. It didn't feel too good after that. It was like a crunchy feel.

I was quoted like a little over $1000 for a full fix parts and labor (new shift fork, backing rings). All the bearings are fine from what the guy at Certified Transmissions (Stillwater, MN) told me.

If I'm willing to build it up, I would. There are a lot of good upgrades out there that I can use. It'd make the tranny something people want. Even right now I kind of debrate whether if I want to sell it to someone who wants to build an infamous out of it or keep it so I can build an infamous out of it. There's so much that I can do to it. Just takes a little saving. If you really want it, I can give it up. If not, then like I said, I might just make it 'infamous'.

The tranny is all opened up so you don't even have to worry about having a shop open it up for you. Everything is diassembled.

14. hercules

hercules New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">im thinking of gettin a old school impreza L or the old school legacy turbo. but i want to make it a drift car. so how can i convert it from awd to rwd? if i get a L then i can put my stock ej25 block in it then put some high compression pistons in it to make it a na beast, and maybe ej25 heads too.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

you mean something like this...:D

[​IMG]
    my favorite ride whenever i play GT4

15. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

i was talking to someone at firestone, i dont remember who, but it was about som guy who had 2.5rs and wanted to drift so he made it RWD (somehow). it would be a total sleeper drifter and woul dbe truelly awsome fun.

good luck with this project. ( i want a ride when its done:D).

to bad you cant just fly to japan and steal the driveline off of the Cusco JGTC car. then it owuld already be set up for RWD.

16. morganm

morganm New Member

Pull a front axle completly out. Pound the CV stub off of the half shaft with a really big hammer. Put the stub shaft back into your hub assembly so your car will actually move again properly. Floor it and smile :D

Oh and if you want to go back to AWD sell that stub as a High Speed Low Drag Rear Wheel Drive Subaru Upgrade because you are going to need a new axle. ;) There is a proper way to dissasemble the axle assembly to get the stub off but you'll have to research that yourself.

Break more stuff? I don't think so. People predicted disaster with RWD conversion on older subarus that havent came true yet; even ones with 150 HP. The possibility of breaking something is unavoidable when it comes to motorsports :D

17. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by morganm

Pull a front axle completly out. Pound the CV stub off of the half shaft with a really big hammer. Put the stub shaft back into your hub assembly so your car will actually move again properly. Floor it and smile :D

Oh and if you want to go back to AWD sell that stub as a High Speed Low Drag Rear Wheel Drive Subaru Upgrade because you are going to need a new axle. ;) There is a proper way to dissasemble the axle assembly to get the stub off but you'll have to research that yourself.

Break more stuff? I don't think so. People predicted disaster with RWD conversion on older subarus that havent came true yet; even ones with 150 HP. The possibility of breaking something is unavoidable when it comes to motorsports :D

Morgan...he's not talking about an EA car, he's talking about an EJ car, one with true AWD, just pulling an axle like that will burn up the center diff, we can do that cuz we don't have a center diff.

18. Battle Scar

Battle Scar New Member

thanks for the info guys and it seems like a pain in the @ss. so its really easy to do it in a EA car then right?

19. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Battle Scar

thanks for the info guys and it seems like a pain in the @ss. so its really easy to do it in a EA car then right?

yes it is! I did it simply by blowing a front CV!! then took out the remains of the axle without even jacking up the car.

The pain is making an EA car powerful enough to make a good drift car...you have to be very creative to do it effectively, but it's possible. the guys on ultimatesubaru.net will have waaaayyy more info on it.

20. morganm

morganm New Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Chux

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by morganm

Morgan...he's not talking about an EA car, he's talking about an EJ car, one with true AWD, just pulling an axle like that will burn up the center diff, we can do that cuz we don't have a center diff.

I know which platform this is in reference too. Why would it burn up the center diff?

21. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

well, I guess it would only burn it up if it was limited slip, but if it's not, then no power would get to the rear, just like when taking out one front axle takes away power from both front wheels. Right??? if the center diff is open, then none of the power will get sent to the rear end without resistance on the front end...

22. morganm

morganm New Member

Weld'er up and git'er'dun! :D

23. STIwannabe

STIwannabe New Member

STI ej20 v7 swap into your car = AWD Drift baby! Much faster and more fun to drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.