How to: Reupholster/change your door cards.

Discussion in 'Tech, Tips, Newb Info' started by blackozone, Jan 30, 2009.

1. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

NOTE: This is instruction for 02-04 Impreza door cards. The others aren't much different, but I don't have specifics on what's involved.

Well, I'm getting stir-crazy so here's a little writeup from one of my current projects:
    I decided that I didn't like the blue/sapphire/black/Idon'tknowwhatIwanttobe interior fabric of the 02 WRX pretty much since I bought it. So like many others, I looked into my options and figured a change was in order.
    I'll be honest, I didn't want to tackle this on my only door cards, so I bought a backup set of rears from fobia to work with. Having done both rears already, I can assure you that extra sets are entirely unnecessary. It's easy, just pay attention and be careful.

Here's what you'll need:
    #2 Phillips head screwdriver
    Flat head
    Box cutter/exacto-knife
    A hammer helps
    So does a drill, 1/2" bit
    Some new fabric. I found black microsuede at Jo-Ann fabrics and bought a yard. It's more than enough.
    3m Super 77 adhesive. Don't cheap out on this one.
    You will need some screws. I used a combination of #10 1/2" self-tapping sheet metal screws and #10 3/4". You'll know which ones should go where once you take a look at the card.

Let's get started:

Step 1:
    Get your door card off. Do so by removing the trim ring around the door handle (a flat head screwdriver will help) and remove the inset handles by removing the screws. The doors will come off by popping the plastic retainers and pulling the door card out.

Step 2:
    Head inside. If you look on the back of the door card, you'll see that there's 3 screws at the top of the door handle (highlighted in blue) and a mess of plastic rivets holding the 2 pieces of your door together. Here's where the drill comes in if you choose.
    DO NOT PLUNGE YOUR DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE RIVETS!!!
    Gently let the drill bore out some of the material. This will not remove all of the rivet, just a good portion of them to make breaking them easier.
    Once that's done, pry around the rivets until they pop. I used a hammer and hammered my flat head into and through the rivets. This was much cleaner and easier.

Step 3:
    You've got your card separated. The fabric is just glued on. Peel it off.
    Lay it down on your new fabric (Preferably the back side so as not to mark the new stuff) and trace the outline. Cut your new fabric to shape.

Step 4:
    Get your adhesive and follow the directions. You might want to tape off the upper part of the door so as not to overspray. Once it's tacky, attach the fabric and smooth it out. You won't really need to pull it tight or anything. As for the top of the fabric, it just gets tucked inside the crease. Use a credit card or putty knife to get it in there. If there's any excess, use your box cutter to remove the additional material.

Step 5:
    Reassemble the door card. Here's where the screws come in play.
    All the blue marked screws are good for 3/4" screws. The red circles indicate where you may opt to use shallower screws or glue instead. To be honest, even with 1/2" screws I still saw a bit of the tip penetrate out the front of the card. Glue may be a better option if you don't trust it.

Step 6:
    Reattach the door card to your car. You're done.

2. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Reserved.

3. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

can anybody else see the pics?

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Pictures no work Lee.

5. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Attachments Pending Approval

What the hell? I want to see!!

6. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I don't recommend this one, teh 77 comes loose, on hot days.
    everything else looks good.

:yumyum:

7. Rexarew

Rexarew Subie Girl

Nice, Thanks for the info Lee!! Aric and I were just talking about this yesterday! Thinking of doing this to the wagon come summer!