I need a 2003 WRX aftermarket radio install kit. Single DIN. Where do I get one?????

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by chriswelckle, Dec 14, 2011.

1. chriswelckle

chriswelckle Well-Known Member

Best Buy, and Ebay are no help. The only have a generic kit to plug the hole below the radio!
    That doesn't work, by the way!

2. mrantegra

mrantegra Well-Known Member

pm sent.

3. svxninja

svxninja Well-Known Member

that is because a lot of the radios are double

4. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

Got mine for a 02 wrx from best buy works fine... Ask them how to install it when you buy it

5. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

That genaric one does work. But other option is the forester din pocket or from another Subaru model

6. chriswelckle

I guess you have to build your own. I talked to the installer at Best Buy. You take the brackets that look like part of the factory radio and assemble those parts with the pocket parts. I's sort of a hybrid kit... I guess I'm too old; never seen one like it.

7. Flat4

Flat4 Well-Known Member

Forester bezel works for the 06 so i would assume it would in an 03. I order one from morries mtka a while back. It was around $30

8. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Works on 04 05 too. Best buy one works on 04 05 too no personal expedience with 02-03

9. chriswelckle

The first one I bought works. I was confused about how it worked. The plates on the side of the OEM radio come off and are used in building the new set up. You screw on the brackets into the after market radio where there are holes already imbedded in the radio body(not the frame insert). Then you attach the plastic pocket into the holes of the OEM bracket. In the end, you have the pocket held in place by the factory radio's brackets and it does a pretty good job. The radio itself is set back a bit(don't like that) and you can't have it set out and place the silver aftermarket decorative trim in front of the OEM facia trim. Sort of looks almost finshed, but not quite. The real solution would be to stick a crow bar in my wallet and get a double DIN nav system!
    [​IMG][/IMG] Dash.jpg Dash2.jpg